I have a 4 string bass (geddy lee jazz), ive had a five string ibanez sr505 (played for over a year then sold it) and i have another bass an unusual sx 6 string jazz bass!
Have played ibanez sr506 and cort A6 string for longish periods to know that i do not like them!
Have played a super nice deluxe american 5 string jazz which i really liked but i do not want that neck heel and 20 frets and a body that heavy which still does not balance very well!
I am right now having to take a break from playing all together because of my neck and shoulder strain caused due to multiple reasons such as heavy heavy weight, hanging it too high and possible bad posture! Which is now making me sit down and plan (and save) for the future!
What is the bass of the future for me!?
1. does not weight a ton! 8-9lbs
2. ergonomic design so it does not create impediments rather it should facilitate playing (both old school and modern/contemporary techniques and styles)
3. should it be a 4/5/6 string? i cant decide! probably get one of each again
(all three have very solid advantages and disadvantages) lets start in the middle and get a 5 to begin with!
4. body shape/design - although i love jazz basses and i have played jazz basses for pretty much my whole life i'd like something a tiny bit smaller and handier! doesnt need to be ibanez SR small!
5. the neck should feel like the way this geddy lee neck feels for any number of strings
6. money - you dont always get what you pay for!
I am another broke musician saving every penny towards lessons or better gear and gas(fuel) to get to gigs! so i can save up, over time, towards a solid goal but a figure above 1200 is too daunting with the current exchange rate hitting the sky! so I'd like to buy USED within the USA and figure out how to get it to my location!
7. string spacing - oh yeah 18-19mm seems nice! 34"inch scale too! i'd rather play a shorter 33 or even a 32.5 but you dont get those too often in the mainstream market so 34 be fine then! 35 is a no go i feel!
8. notice i did not talk about the tone or sound! that can go into a world of explanations so i am just worried about the first 7 issues for now. from my experience i have learned to adapt and tweak the sound to my liking as long it has the general characteristics to my liking. since i cannot really try before i buy anyway i go by what i hear from others and demos!
By design i meant i am still trying to figure out things here, the garry willis/classical guitar position seems to be quite good for playing some things but the old school bass on the right leg while sitting is fine too! I feel the bass should feel fine both ways! If i start consistently saving up today i can might be able to save up by early next year or so depending when someone i know is coming down from the US and can get a bass along for me! free shipping yay! so yeah suggestions, ideas?!
Basses which i have not really tried and do not have clear ideas towards
1. mtd kz series - stock electronics dont seem to sound good to me, used upgraded kz's keep showing up what is the real deal with these??
2. new yamaha trb - like the thin nice but 35" and pickups and electronics dont seem to have character again i just dont know what they sound like!
basses or characterstics i cant like
1. basses with p bass necks
2. warwick basses
what do you think could be an ultimate bass for me to look forward to!? how about them carvins and what else is out there i should be looking to?
i know this has been a long post! but if you have the time with you to read through and got some basses to recommend that will be super helpful!