Go Back   TalkBass Forums > Bass Guitar Forums > Bass Guitar Forums > Basses [BG]
Register Rules/FAQ/CUP Members List Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Supporting Membership
Thank You

Latest Supporting Member
Donate to Upgrade Today

Old 02-07-2013, 08:44 PM

Bringing a Bass Back to Ecuador

I recently moved from the US down here to Ecuador, and have found that the selection of musical equipment is a little skimpy. I'm going to be in New Jersey for a conference in a few months and am thinking of picking up a Ibanez GSRM20 Mikro and trying to bring it back with me when I return to Ecuador.

A guitarist friend of mine here brought several of his instruments from the US and did so by destringing them and removing the necks from the bodies so they'd pack up better. He's pretty skilled at setting up guitars so I'd have him as a resource if I were to do the same with anything I brought down that way.

Is this a good idea for bringing a bass down here? Your opinions, advice and tips all gratefully received. Thanks!
Old 02-07-2013, 08:49 PM

Supporting Member
Many people do that and there should be no problem. Loosen and take off the strings, unbolt the neck, pack up nicely in a carry-on, and in a few hours you be slappin-da-bass in Quito!
Old 02-07-2013, 08:59 PM

Actually in Cuenca, not Quito. Thanks for the advice!
Old 02-08-2013, 08:31 AM

Hi,
My bass has flown with me al over the world.. I bought it in California, then to Mexico, Argentina, Back to Mexico, then to Canada, back to California, then to Asia where I currently live.. And no, I am not touring.. (I wish..!) just bounced around a lot for the last 3 years.

Any way, the point is I travel with my bass on its hard case.. sometimes they let me take it in the cabin, other times I have to gate check it (I never just throw it down with the bags.. it stays with me for as long as I can) never had a problem.

I have never taken it apart.. It is a bit hard to lug it around airports and so, but there are pushcarts in many airports, so its not that bad..

Also, most countries will allow you to get in one music instrument for your personal use without having to pay import taxes or duties..

Espero esto te sea util!

Saludos!