Go Back   TalkBass Forums > Bass Guitar Forums > Bass Guitar Forums > Basses [BG]
Register Rules/FAQ/CUP Members List Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Supporting Membership
Thank You

Latest Supporting Member
Donate to Upgrade Today

Old 02-03-2014, 09:23 PM

Choosing a fretless 5-string bass. Thoughts?

Hello,

I find myself in need of a good 5-string fretless bass. I've been primarily a Warwick guy, but I've enjoyed some Carvin and Ibanez basses that I've tried. These are the two that caught my eye that I can hope to afford!

Warwick Rockbass Corvette $$ 5-string fretless
http://www.gbase.com/gear/warwick-ro...2012-natural-s

Ibanez BTB675F
http://www.zzounds.com/item--IBABTB675F

The Warwick seems to be very hard to find in any of the major stores, but the Warwick website doesn't say anything about it being out of production.

Thoughts?
Old 02-03-2014, 09:26 PM
It looks like a mira- IT'S IN THE HOLE!

Beta Tester: Fuzzhugger(fx)

Send a message via Skype™ to SoonerMatt
Supporting Member
Let me put it this way - I sold my Ibanez to fund a Warwick that I would still own if it weren't so heavy and my shoulders weren't shot to all heck.
Old 02-03-2014, 09:27 PM

Supporting Member
You said you like the Carvins you tried. Is there any reason you're not considering one of them? I currently have a B25 Bromberg fretless and it is just amazing. I have also had an Icon5 fretless and a B50 fretless from them and both were great. I just prefer the B25 profile.

You can order up a custom one for not much more than that Ibanez...
Old 02-03-2014, 09:37 PM
Functionless Art is Merely Tolerated Vandalism

Supporting Member
Quote:
Originally Posted by SoonerMatt View Post
Let me put it this way - I sold my Ibanez to fund a Warwick that I would still own if it weren't so heavy and my shoulders weren't shot to all heck.
He said Ibanez BTB so it ain't gonna be any lighter.

Why not go Carvin OP? I sold my BTB676 to pay for my Carvin, and the Carvin has a 34" B string that smokes the BTB 35" B string.

! Rocking against all gods !
Old 02-03-2014, 09:49 PM

Endorsing Artist: Regenerate Guitar Works

I'm leery of the fretless Rockbass. The side position markers on the one that I've tried were way off from where one expects side dots to be. They weren't exactly in the middle of the line positions, nor were they at the lines; they were somewhere in between, and they were inconsistently off, as well. The 12th position lined up ok, but everything else was off.

That is all to say, try before you buy.

One other thing to consider; the neck width on the BTB and Rockbass will be quite a bit different. If you're used to narrow spacing, the Rockbass will be fine, or you should find a fretless SR bass. If you're used to a wider spacing, the BTB would be better. Or a Carvin, as mentioned.

Regenerate Guitar Works
Old 02-03-2014, 09:49 PM

Thanks for your replies!

Quote:
Originally Posted by SoonerMatt View Post
I have played the fretted Rockbass Corvette $$, and it was great. The fretless version definitely seems like the frontrunner if I can find it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grateful View Post
You said you like the Carvins you tried. Is there any reason you're not considering one of them? I currently have a B25 Bromberg fretless and it is just amazing. I have also had an Icon5 fretless and a B50 fretless from them and both were great. I just prefer the B25 profile.

You can order up a custom one for not much more than that Ibanez...
Quote:
Originally Posted by DiabolusInMusic View Post
He said Ibanez BTB so it ain't gonna be any lighter.

Why not go Carvin OP? I sold my BTB676 to pay for my Carvin, and the Carvin has a 34" B string that smokes the BTB 35" B string.
No reason, really. I found the same bass I liked - Carvin LB75F.
http://www.carvinguitars.com/guitars-in-stock/113024
At $970, it's a good price, definitely an option.
I also messed around with the custom Carvin builder on the website, it would cost around $1100, as opposed to around $850 for the other two.

I have tried the BTB775PF, it was cool as well.

However, I've never played the exact fretless versions of the BTB and the Corvette $$. Hence my dilemma.
Old 02-03-2014, 09:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lowfreqgeek View Post
I'm leery of the fretless Rockbass. The side position markers on the one that I've tried were way off from where one expects side dots to be. They weren't exactly in the middle of the line positions, nor were they at the lines; they were somewhere in between, and they were inconsistently off, as well. The 12th position lined up ok, but everything else was off.

That is all to say, try before you buy.

One other thing to consider; the neck width on the BTB and Rockbass will be quite a bit different. If you're used to narrow spacing, the Rockbass will be fine, or you should find a fretless SR bass. If you're used to a wider spacing, the BTB would be better. Or a Carvin, as mentioned.
That's kind of scary!

The fretted Rockbass and Carvin fretless were both comfortable to play, the difference didn't seem to bother me very much.

Thanks for your reply!
Old 02-03-2014, 10:08 PM

Endorsing Artist: Regenerate Guitar Works

Quote:
Originally Posted by exordium View Post
That's kind of scary!

The fretted Rockbass and Carvin fretless were both comfortable to play, the difference didn't seem to bother me very much.

Thanks for your reply!
If you can get your hands on the Rockbass before purchasing, or if you can purchase from a dealer with a good return policy, then go for it!

I don't want to scare you off from it, just relaying my own experience. The one I tried could have easily been a dud.

If you are open to other things, I'd say look at the EBMM Stingray 5, or even Bongo 5. Both of those are killer fretless 5 strings with fantastic B-strings.

Good luck with it!

Regenerate Guitar Works
Old 02-03-2014, 10:29 PM

I have an EBMM SUB (original series, early 2000s) fretless 5-string that has an amazing neck - definitely worth checking out their current offerings, I'd say.
Old 02-03-2014, 10:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lowfreqgeek View Post
If you can get your hands on the Rockbass before purchasing, or if you can purchase from a dealer with a good return policy, then go for it!

I don't want to scare you off from it, just relaying my own experience. The one I tried could have easily been a dud.

If you are open to other things, I'd say look at the EBMM Stingray 5, or even Bongo 5. Both of those are killer fretless 5 strings with fantastic B-strings.

Good luck with it!
Before I buy anything, I'll try one of the fretless Rockbasses to be sure!
I'll check those out as well, thank you!
Old 02-03-2014, 10:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by onosson View Post
I have an EBMM SUB (original series, early 2000s) fretless 5-string that has an amazing neck - definitely worth checking out their current offerings, I'd say.
Never played a Music Man bass, I'll definitely check one out. Thanks!