Go Back   TalkBass Forums > Bass Guitar Forums > Bass Guitar Forums > Basses [BG]
Register Rules/FAQ/CUP Members List Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Supporting Membership
Thank You

Latest Supporting Member
Donate to Upgrade Today

Closed Thread

Old 12-27-2012, 09:46 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by awilkie84 View Post
Wood has no magnetic properties. How can wood affect the magnetic field of a pickup & string??
It doesn't, obviously. However, given the fact that the strings are anchored to a long, flexible beam which flexes and vibrates when the strings do, it's a safe bet that this beam has some effect on the vibration of said strings. In fact we know for sure that it does, otherwise no bass would have a dead spot.
The argument is about how and to what degree the effect changes when wood species changes.
Old 12-27-2012, 07:52 PM
Total Hyper-Elite Member

Independent Contractor to Bass San Diego

GOLD Supporting Member
Quote:
Originally Posted by awilkie84 View Post
Wood has no magnetic properties. How can wood affect the magnetic field of a pickup & string??
It doesn't, but it can affect the way the string vibrates which, in turn, affects the output of the pickups. Different woods resonate differently, and the string receives vibratory feedback from the wood.
Old 12-27-2012, 08:02 PM

Owner/Builder: HJC Customs USA, The Cool Lute, C G O

Send a message via Yahoo to Musiclogic
I suggest to everyone to look at the video that compares an alder bass to the same parts mounted in a piece of 2x12 scrap from a buildng site to understand how little difference the wood parts make in the sound of an instrument.

Players technique and electronics are the biggest effect on the sound of an instrument followed by strings, hardware, and construction.

Wood plays a very minor part, unlike what so many claim to be able to hear. This is more perception than reality.

Until someone does actual spectrum analysis of multiple materials with graphing for varying attack, the Ed Roman wood and finish myths will continue to be gospel for too many. IMNSHO
Old 12-27-2012, 08:03 PM

Send a message via AIM to seang15
Supporting Member
Quote:
Originally Posted by Munjibunga

It doesn't, but it can affect the way the string vibrates which, in turn, affects the output of the pickups. Different woods resonate differently, and the string receives vibratory feedback from the wood.
Sure. But the pickups and strings add about 99.9% of the sound, with the wood about .1%.
New York Bass Works (NYBW) Club Member #1 (Founder). Tricked-Out Squier Club Member #222. Official ATK Club member #211.
"Give me a gig!" -J. Pastorius
Old 12-27-2012, 08:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by seang15 View Post
Sure. But the pickups and strings add about 99.9% of the sound, with the wood about .1%.
I'm gonna have to go ahead and disagree with you there.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6sdVx5gQz6w

Last edited by dmusic148 : 12-27-2012 at 08:15 PM.
Old 12-27-2012, 08:40 PM
Total Hyper-Elite Member

Independent Contractor to Bass San Diego

GOLD Supporting Member
Quote:
Originally Posted by seang15 View Post
Do you care to cite your sources or experimental results?
Old 12-27-2012, 08:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Munjibunga View Post
Oh
No
You
Di-int.
Old 12-27-2012, 09:05 PM

I guess les pauls really dont have any more sustain than strats after all.... gee..
Genz-Benz #429, G&L #502, Ibanez #1034, Mediocre Bassist #883
Genz-Benz Streamliner 900 & Uber Quad, TC BG250
Old 12-28-2012, 06:31 AM

Send a message via AIM to danroche
Supporting Member
Quote:
Originally Posted by Munjibunga

To be fair, Dan's sound clips test is the closest to scientific testing this whole thing has ever come. And traditionally, the answer to experiments whose outcome you have a problem with is more, better experiments, not conversational goal post moving.

So until those experiments are produced here, I think Dan's sound test carries the day.
Old 12-28-2012, 06:53 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Musiclogic View Post
I suggest to everyone to look at the video that compares an alder bass to the same parts mounted in a piece of 2x12 scrap from a buildng site to understand how little difference the wood parts make in the sound of an instrument.
Except when you have access to several basses (even made of the same materials) and can hear distinct differences between them.

Hearing is also a variable so some may not notice the differences.
Old 12-28-2012, 07:44 AM
Praise Harp

Supporting Member
Quote:
Originally Posted by mongo2 View Post
Except when you have access to several basses (even made of the same materials) and can hear distinct differences between them.
This observation is not the end of the argument, only the beginning. Now you have to do a careful analysis to determine why the basses sound different. This is the step that everyone (?) but Dan passes over. Although I would point out that if two basses made from the same materials sound different then the difference is not likely to be due to the materials themselves unless those materials have significant variation and in that case assigning any particular "sound" to the materials is fraught with an obvious error.

Ken
Old 12-28-2012, 11:36 AM
Banned

Fodera tests...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Musiclogic View Post

Players technique and electronics are the biggest effect on the sound of an instrument followed by strings, hardware, and construction.

Wood plays a very minor part, unlike what so many claim to be able to hear. This is more perception than reality.

Until someone does actual spectrum analysis of multiple materials with graphing for varying attack, the Ed Roman wood and finish myths will continue to be gospel for too many. IMNSHO
Quote:
Originally Posted by khutch View Post
This observation is not the end of the argument, only the beginning. Now you have to do a careful analysis to determine why the basses sound different. This is the step that everyone (?) but Dan passes over. Although I would point out that if two basses made from the same materials sound different then the difference is not likely to be due to the materials themselves unless those materials have significant variation and in that case assigning any particular "sound" to the materials is fraught with an obvious error.

Ken
https://soundcloud.com/fodera-guitars

Three identical except for construction basses.

And Dan is now out of business, so who cares? And any 'builder' who DOESN'T think wood affects sound, well...

...and for him to out and out ridicule the life work some of the greatest builders ever...

His work won't be missed.

Sincerely,
Cameron
Old 12-28-2012, 11:45 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cambo

And Dan is now out of business, so who cares?

Sincerely,
Cameron
I respect your opinions/beliefs in the wood debate. However I think these two things you said above are uncalled for and kinda rude. You can say what you said and do it in a respectful manner. Their were plenty of people on TB that happened to like his basses. You can disagree with the man but you don't need to be a jerk about it.

Welcome to TB, see this was your first post. Try and respect your fellow TB members and you will have a great time here.

Geddy Lee Jazz Club#160 / Club Cort #201 / acoustic amp club #327(B10,B600H,140 & B410, 230) / Geddy Jazz / Gene Simmons Cort Axe / Fender 2012 American Standard Jazz
Old 12-28-2012, 11:52 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cambo View Post

And Dan is now out of business, so who cares? And any 'builder' who DOESN'T think wood affects sound, well...

...and for him to out and out ridicule the life work some of the greatest builders ever...

Sincerely,
Cameron
Dude, your just,...............you're being a ..............

I never saw Dan 'ridicule' anybody. Dan's a stand-up guy. What the heck is your problem?

The Fodera clips? They prove something? What? That different basses sound, umm, 'different?' You obviously have no business being in this discussion.

Last edited by dmusic148 : 12-28-2012 at 01:19 PM.
Old 12-28-2012, 12:29 PM
Sponsored by Jagermeister

Supporting Member
Quote:
Originally Posted by mongo2
Yup exactly. I have always had multiples of the same bass, on paper supposed to be the same body and neck wood, I still do. And when you pick them up and play wether acoustically or plugged in...by golly, you hear the differences.
Old 12-28-2012, 12:51 PM

Supporting Member
Quote:
Originally Posted by Caca de Kick View Post
Yup exactly. I have always had multiples of the same bass, on paper supposed to be the same body and neck wood, I still do. And when you pick them up and play wether acoustically or plugged in...by golly, you hear the differences.

Big +1
Every piece of wood is singular in tone.
You can build 5 basses with everything the same, and all 5 will be a little different. That's the nature of the tone game.
This is why mass produced basses like Fender. even though the same model, will sound different to some degree.
So to say wood does not matter, just does not hold water.
Old 12-28-2012, 01:19 PM

Supporting Member
Quote:

Sincerely,
Cameron
You seem to have missed Dan's point - a lot of people here have. He never said wood doesn't matter. He said it's not as important as other build factors. In the grand scheme of things, it's importance is not as significant. I agree.

Further, as others have observed here even wood of the same species can sound different. That only reinforces Dan's point.

For any builder to claim that X species is always going to sound like X is disingenuous.

Today is the yesterday you'll worry about tomorrow...

"Never lose the groove in order to find a note" - V. Wooten
Old 12-28-2012, 01:26 PM

Send a message via AIM to danroche
Supporting Member
For the record, anybody stating that the sound of wood in any guitar is highly variable is effectively agreeing with Dan. His whole main point was that assigning characteristic labels to any one wood species was silly. And in the post that began this inane, multi-year festival of rear end pain, Dan himself said "wood does matter."

All of this anecdotal "my different basses sound different so neener" talk is CONSISTENT WITH DAN'S BELIEFS.

And Cameron, independent of your arguments, you're just kind of an ass.
Old 01-03-2013, 08:09 PM

Supporting Member
Quote:
Originally Posted by danroche View Post
And Cameron, independent of your arguments, you're just kind of an ass.
Nothing new there. He's one of a handful of guys who seem to outright despise me with a deep, personal, relentless hatred. Comes with the territory, I suppose. Some people can't handle their beliefs being challenged.

Can't imagine what these folks would do if I challenged them on religion or politics!
Old 01-03-2013, 09:13 PM

Send a message via MSN to Josh Pelican
Quote:

Sincerely,
Cameron
You're right. No one on this board misses his work.

'm a VERRRRRRRrrrrry excited little knob twiddler.
Closed Thread