Go Back   TalkBass Forums > Bass Guitar Forums > Bass Guitar Forums > Basses [BG]
Register Rules/FAQ/CUP Members List Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Supporting Membership
Thank You

Latest Supporting Member
Donate to Upgrade Today

Old 12-16-2012, 02:46 PM

Drummer to bassist

Hi,
Iím originally a drummer but have decided to buy a bass guitar to get into a more melodic approach of the rhythm section and would let me do vocals. I like rock and metal but enjoy playing bass more in rock\alternative rock\psychedelic rock genres and drums in hard rock\metal\progressive genres. I've already played my bandmates' guitars so I already have the basics and can play some songs.

I was thinking about getting one of the following bass packages:

Epiphone Thunderbird IV All Access Bass Pack: http://www.musiciansfriend.com/bass/...cess-bass-pack

Ibanez IJSR190-BK Black Jumpstart bass guitar package: http://www.italmelodie.com/?section=item&itemID=7381

Fender Affinity Precision Bass Pack: http://www.musiciansfriend.com/bass/...sion-bass-pack

Fender Affinity Jazz Bass Pack: http://www.musiciansfriend.com/bass/...jazz-bass-pack

Epiphone bass viola (would let me play at home or transport it without having to bring my amplifier) + amplifier

I live in Canada so the epiphone thunderbird bass package, which is the only one that I canít get here, would cost about 65$ more.

Which one would you recommend?
Old 12-16-2012, 04:22 PM

i personally love the epiphone thunderbird iv i has an awesome tone for the money and its good for rock and metal
Old 12-16-2012, 10:17 PM

Yes, this douchebag just posted again

Have you tried them out?
It's really about what feels comfy for you.
Old 12-16-2012, 10:47 PM

GOLD Supporting Member
I'm another "drummer to bassist".

I vote "none of the above". Play a bunch of used basses until you find the one that speaks to you. You'll get more bass for the money.

House Drummer & Blues Bassist for CWB
Old 12-16-2012, 11:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Luke S Mouse
Have you tried them out?
It's really about what feels comfy for you.
+1 Whenever/wherever possible, always make an effort to try an instrument before buying. Go with the instrument that feels best, at the budget you've set for yourself.
Old 12-17-2012, 01:20 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BrunoNP View Post
Hi,
Iím originally a drummer but have decided to buy a bass guitar to get into a more melodic approach of the rhythm section and would let me do vocals. I like rock and metal but enjoy playing bass more in rock\alternative rock\psychedelic rock genres and drums in hard rock\metal\progressive genres. I've already played my bandmates' guitars so I already have the basics and can play some songs.

<snip>
I play bass and drums and you need a couple of hints. I know what a drummer means by "melodic" but that isn't what you do on a bass. It's more about harmony not melody. Bass is about driving the harmonic structure of the song. Melody is more for guitars. Which brings up another point. Singing and playing bass for most is MUCH more difficult than singing and playing guitar for some reason. Not sure why. Will take some time.

As for "which bass" An IBanez, one of the SR series, is a more modern tone, while Fender JAzz or P is more old school. TB advice is you need all three! T-birds have their fans, but neck dive is serious problem many (but not all) have with it. An 'acoustic bass' typically isn't very useful unplugged. I'd consider them secondary choices UNLESS you try them first and are really taken with them.

As other suggest. TRY the basses yourself and see what feels, sounds, weighs etc. best on YOU. And used can save lots of cash IF you make sure the instrument is not in need of repair first.
Old 12-17-2012, 05:29 AM

for you tipe of music... recomended

Ibanez SR, or BTB series (the BTB400 or up are 35" scale)
Thunderbird is good! is very rock, and agrsive

But is you can... try to play some CORT GB34 or GB35, this basses are beri good for price.

Some S.U.B is good to
Old 12-17-2012, 08:58 AM

Supporting Member
Former drummer also. An accident forced a change.

I would steer clear of package deals like the links you posted. Just my opinion. The amps are generally useless. You'll get better deals and better gear if you piecemeal your setup.

Play as many basses as you can and get what feels right.
Old 12-17-2012, 09:04 AM

Supporting Member
All suggestions so far are great ones. But to help you narrow things down, as a bassist to a drummer, most drummers like my Precision the most. A Jazz always resulted in "can you turn up some more?", or "I lost you in the higher notes". My StingRay usually gets the "I can't hear the guitar" reaction, due to it's more aggressive tone, I suppose. Yet I believe that most likely, my own shortcomings caused these problems instead of the nature of said basses.

But something about a Precision makes most folks happy. Even I couldn't screw one of those up.

Edit to add -

I realize my experiences as a bassist may not match up to your personal experience as a drummer, playing with other bassists. You may already have a good insight on what basses you remember that sound good, from doing gigs or whatever. But then you have the whole feel, fit, n' finish aspect of it all to consider. And that is entirely up to you.

Last edited by meatwad : 12-17-2012 at 09:34 AM. Reason: gravity
Old 12-17-2012, 09:29 AM

Supporting Member
Quote:
Originally Posted by meatwad View Post
But something about a Precision makes most folks happy.
+1, a P is considered a "lowest common denominator" but in a good way.
Squier Jaguar Short Scale Club - #1
Olympic White Bass club member - #38.
Fender Jazz club member - #503.
Wood doesn't matter club - #2
Brony Bassists #11
Warmoth Owners club - #73
PRBC - #121
Old 12-17-2012, 10:00 AM

Supporting Member
Quote:
Originally Posted by Immigrant View Post
Former drummer also. An accident forced a change.

I would steer clear of package deals like the links you posted. Just my opinion. The amps are generally useless. You'll get better deals and better gear if you piecemeal your setup.

Play as many basses as you can and get what feels right.
What the Immigrant said. My suggestion is a used Squier Classic Vibe (CV) 60's precision. Hang on the 'amps' forum to help figure out what you need and scope the classifieds to see what you can afford - lots of good deals on giggable gear.

Praise tools crafted by - Dingwall Designer Guitars, Michael Arnopol Sound, and Reeves Amplification
Old 01-10-2013, 06:02 PM

Started on drums myself, went to bass because there were no bassists in my school but plenty of more experienced drummers. Started with a Squier Affinity P Bass, still have and play it, awesome for the money (about $300). After that I've stuck with Epiphones because they were affordable, great sounding, and I could beat the hell out of them. The Epi T Birds are great, recorded with one and it sounds fat.
Old 01-10-2013, 06:26 PM

Dealer: PiccoBass Guitar-scale Basses

Supporting Member
Another "drummer to bassist" here.

There are so many choices for the new bass player.
And, it really does depend on what feels and sounds right to you.
But, out of the ones you listed, I'd absolutely choose the Ibanez.

Frank

Picco Music
Micro Scale Instruments - featuring the PiccoBass guitar-scale Bass
http://www.piccomusic.com
https://www.facebook.com/PiccoMusic

Old 01-10-2013, 06:39 PM

Send a message via AIM to dalahorse
I'm also a drummer, originally. I went to the local shops, played a bunch of basses, and ended up with a Schecter Custom-4. It played and sounded right to me. I love that bass!

ACCORDING TO ME, the order of choosing a bass is as follows:

1: What feels right
2: What sounds right
3: Whatever else

I personally dislike the idea of a starter kit. Choose each piece of your setup individually. Else, you'll just end up dissatisfied will your collection of low end stuff. If the idea of spending too much is a factor, look into used gear.
Buddhist #33, Colorado #303, Drummers Who Became Bassists #1, Roland #20, Schecter #191
Old 01-10-2013, 06:45 PM

Another drum-to-bassist here! Really you should go to a music store and try them out for yourself, for both sound and feel. Personally I love the feel of P basses and the sound of it fits the style of music I play. Really it all depends on your personal preferences.

Hope I helped and good luck!
Old 01-10-2013, 07:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BrunoNP View Post
Hi,

Epiphone Thunderbird IV All Access Bass Pack: http://www.musiciansfriend.com/bass/...cess-bass-pack

Ibanez IJSR190-BK Black Jumpstart bass guitar package: http://www.italmelodie.com/?section=item&itemID=7381

Fender Affinity Precision Bass Pack: http://www.musiciansfriend.com/bass/...sion-bass-pack

Fender Affinity Jazz Bass Pack: http://www.musiciansfriend.com/bass/...jazz-bass-pack

Epiphone bass viola (would let me play at home or transport it without having to bring my amplifier) + amplifier

I live in Canada so the epiphone thunderbird bass package, which is the only one that I canít get here, would cost about 65$ more.

Of those, the T-bird is the best playing one to my ears & doesn't look as cheap. Also, Long & McQuade & Tom Lee Music can get those in Canada.
SPECTORģ Club #369 | Fender Owner's Club #13