Go Back   TalkBass Forums > Bass Guitar Forums > Bass Guitar Forums > Basses [BG]
Register Rules/FAQ/CUP Members List Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Supporting Membership
Thank You

Latest Supporting Member
Donate to Upgrade Today

Old 12-01-2013, 10:52 AM

GOLD Supporting Member
EBMM Reflex - Impressions?

So I have recently deepened my fondness for the Music Man Bongo and wished my Big Al had a similar neck. A little research indicates the Reflex has a neck which is dimensionally-similar to the Bongo (sadly, missing a couple of frets, but I'll live) and has a 3 pup system similar to the Big Al but with a bucker in the rear! I love the sound of a MM with rear-humbucker only. And with active and passive modes... could this be my perfect bass??

I haven't been able to find much info here on TB about the Reflex. I would love to hear from people who have owned or played them in various configurations, especially the HSS (not as concerned with that Game Changer tech). FEEDBACK PLEASE!!

Last edited by Pudge Fish : 12-01-2013 at 11:16 AM.
Old 12-01-2013, 11:00 AM

If you don't get any answers here, then check out the EBMM forum:

http://forums.ernieball.com/music-man-basses/

I'm a Stingray guy, so I can't be of much help with your question.
Musicman StingRay club #333
Old 12-01-2013, 11:06 AM

GOLD Supporting Member
Yea... i tend to like talkbass because its full of helpful people but plenty of haters too! Haters dont show up as often in the manufacturers forums, since they're all up on Ernie's balls ;-) I like dissenting voices too.
Thanks for the link! I'll keep digging while i wait for people to sound off.

Last edited by Pudge Fish : 12-01-2013 at 12:10 PM.
Old 12-01-2013, 02:40 PM

Supporting Member
I own a reflex 4HH and from what I recall playing Bongos, while the neck widths are the same at the nut (1 5/8") and the last fret (2 9/16"), the reflex neck feels thicker front-to-back than the Bongo (depth/thickness, whatever you want to call it).

Either one would be a tone monster, though. I just gigged my reflex last night!

Perhaps you can check in with TBer keko, as he owns both a reflex & a Bongo (in 5-strings).

I don't see it mentioned in your OP, but if you're fond of the Bongo neck, instead of a reflex OR your Big Al, why not just get a Bongo?
Sadowsky Club #412
EBMM reflex & 25th Anniversary Club #11
Old 12-01-2013, 05:18 PM

GOLD Supporting Member
Thanks for the input, especially on neck thickness. Thin / narrow necks just don't work as well for my hands. Especially for chords.
I have a bongo and one more on the way, but one may be sacrificed for a reflex if the opportunity arises. I've never held a bass that fit my playing style as nicely as the Bongo. Sold the Big Al SSS because the neck was too small (reminded me of a fender Jazz) but i LOVED the tonal variety, especially the passive sounds! If i could get bongo type neck (thicker might work) with the passive option like on the Al, it might be the perfect bass.

Last edited by Pudge Fish : 12-01-2013 at 05:28 PM.
Old 12-01-2013, 08:00 PM

Supporting Member
I own the bass of which you speak. You may not have it.

I'm not a very good player (I am unworthy) so I will not be able to tell you much of what you want to know, probably. Feel free to pm me anyway if you like.

The neck is a little chunkier than I prefer, but I have short fingers. You might find it perfect.

The body is quite small. This does not mean it's light!

Tonally, the bass will do anything, I think.

As someone else said, look up keko. Mrfstop would be another guy to talk to - I bought my Reflex from him, and he's probably still sorry he sold it.
Old 12-01-2013, 10:26 PM

I have owned and been gigging a reflex since they first came out, ordered one as soon as ordering opened on them. I don't regret my decision at all (i am aone bass at a time sort of guy), but it won't be for everyone. Natively I find it warmer and less aggressive than the sterlings I have played and the bongos that I have heard.

The preamp is very versatile as has been stated.

Dan
Old 12-02-2013, 12:16 PM

GOLD Supporting Member
I would categorize the Big Al that way, tone-wise. Less aggressive than the bongo by far. Bongo with the eq. flat is an "in your face" monster... i like that about it
Old 12-02-2013, 02:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pudge Fish View Post
3 pup system similar to the Big Al but with a bucker in the rear! I love the sound of a MM with rear-humbucker only. And with active and passive modes... could this be my perfect bass??
I believe the rear humbucker on a HSS Reflex is in a different spot (closer to the bridge) then the standard position on a 'ray (and possibly a Bongo?). So it will sound slightly different.