Go Back   TalkBass Forums > Bass Guitar Forums > Bass Guitar Forums > Basses [BG]
Register Rules/FAQ/CUP Members List Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Supporting Membership
Thank You

Latest Supporting Member
Donate to Upgrade Today

Old 12-21-2012, 12:10 AM

Supporting Member
Tab dog,

I know that you will love this one. Very nice bass. I had a Uncle Matt made Univox back in the early 70's that looked just like yours. The pups on mine looked like yours, don't know if they are the same or not, but I recently heard a recording of my old band and that bass had one of the best sounds I have heard. I know that I loved that bass. Sold mine to buy an engagement ring , should have kept the bass.
OFBPOA# 50 -Fender Owners Club#15- Ibanez BTB Club#114-Redneck Bassist#46-Electra Westone #1-Yorkville/Traynor Club#224-Pa.Bassist #104
Old 01-03-2013, 03:27 PM

Supporting Member
got an electra longnecker over a year ago. its had a badass II installed sometime ago, and ive since had a black pickguard made for it as the white one was a bit aged. Never much of a jazz guy, but this bass certainly peaked my interest. at $50, i couldnt really pass it up even if it was just to hang on the wall!! now its definitely one of my favs to gig with, just weighs a ton!

also, just picked up this bass a couple weeks ago. not a westone or electra, but a matsumoku bass none the less. LOVE the tone. its a Westbury Track II from '80 i believe. original case and everything. factory dimarzios that sound great in that lower bridge spot.

cheers,

-Jeff
Old 01-03-2013, 07:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jbd5015 View Post
also, just picked up this bass a couple weeks ago. not a westone or electra, but a matsumoku bass none the less. LOVE the tone. its a Westbury Track II from '80 i believe. original case and everything. factory dimarzios that sound great in that lower bridge spot.

cheers,

-Jeff
Hay JUeff,

that Westbury Track II is cool looking. Is it
a short scale?

Tabdog
Westone Electra Club #8
Old 01-04-2013, 06:05 AM

Supporting Member
i wish it was a short scale. its a standard 34. the body is rather small which makes it seem short. upper register is a bit tricky, but with most of the stuff i play its not really a big issue.

its also a bit neck heavy, but for those who play fairly flat (yours truly) its pretty nice.

-Jeff
Old 01-23-2013, 09:58 AM

I replaced the bridge pickup and got crome bridge and
pickup covers for my Long Necker. Here's my Long
Necker and my Model X630N,

Tabdog
Westone Electra Club #8
Old 02-05-2013, 11:00 AM

Hi everyone, may I join?
I own x2 mid 80's Westone Quantums, one with flats and the other with rounds, I love the things!
One day I'll find a Dynasty Bass...
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	537179_10100634173189255_1949605509_n.jpg
Views:	36
Size:	48.2 KB
ID:	315936  Click image for larger version

Name:	409685_10100634173199235_1236069629_n.jpg
Views:	45
Size:	123.7 KB
ID:	315937  
Old 02-05-2013, 11:07 AM

Supporting Member
Very nice Westone Quantums.Hav'nt played one of those, played the Rail a couple of times but these havn"t turned up in the local shop yet.
OFBPOA# 50 -Fender Owners Club#15- Ibanez BTB Club#114-Redneck Bassist#46-Electra Westone #1-Yorkville/Traynor Club#224-Pa.Bassist #104
Old 02-05-2013, 11:24 AM

Thanks for the cool comments wolfmancharlie, I'd love to try out a Rail Bass sometime. I've noticed they seem to go for slightly higher prices than Quantum's, I'm always on the look out for a third one- ideally in white or red but cash permitting of course!! :s
Old 02-05-2013, 12:49 PM

Supporting Member
Where are all the Raiders? Here's another shot of mine on stage
Gibson Club Member #199, U.S. Peavey Club Member #197, Electra/Westone Club Member #24, Yamaha BB Club Member #92, "Souls of the Afterlife Band"
Old 02-05-2013, 01:00 PM

Supporting Member
The thing with Electras and Westones are that the people who own them keep them. They also pass them along in their family.They still are some of the best basses and guitars ever made, Period. The Raider looks cool. I love seeing Westone basses on stage.Still rocking.great looking band.

Last edited by wolfmancharlie : 02-05-2013 at 01:06 PM. Reason: one line needed fixed
Old 02-09-2013, 05:05 AM

Too right Wolfman, you're right about keeping hold of them, my main Quantum axe is the top of my save list in case of a house fire!
Great Raider xsspeed, are they 34" scale? I love the 2-tone paint job! Is it orange and gold glitter?
Here's a noisy video link to my band playing with me on my Quantum (it's not to everyone's taste but what the hell!)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wdjQUPsQUCg
Old 02-09-2013, 07:07 AM

Supporting Member
Yea it's orange and yellow glitter and 34. Check out specs here http://www.westone.info/cats/83/p11.html

That video was cool. Here's one of my band

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BOrkswKRD-Y
Gibson Club Member #199, U.S. Peavey Club Member #197, Electra/Westone Club Member #24, Yamaha BB Club Member #92, "Souls of the Afterlife Band"
Old 02-09-2013, 07:58 AM

Great video XsSpeed, looks like a top gig! I like your band.
Nice one for the link too- it's good website that. I saw a Raider on eBay once and was really tempted, they look stunning. What do make of the Dynasty Bass? I've been after one for ages but not seen one for sale in the UK yet!
http://www.westone.info/dynastybass.html
Old 02-10-2013, 08:11 PM

That Raider has a really sweet 80's vibe to it.

I just got my Westone Spectrum back from the local shop today. I usually do my own setups but back in the 80s I was having trouble with string buzz at the nut, and the local tech didn't do a great job "fixing" it, so I decided it was time to get it done right. Plays even nicer now. Took it to the local monthly jazz jam in northern Virginia tonight and put it (and myself) through the ringer.

When I play it with my rock band I have to adjust my amp and effect settings, since they are set up for my Ric. The Westone has hotter pickups and the tone is very different. But when it's time for some serious metal-type tone this bass with new rounds on it brings it on hard.
Westone Club Member #18, Vintage Modified Jaguar Club, Rickenbacker # 390, PF #313
Old 02-10-2013, 09:13 PM

Supporting Member
Yea mines definately more treblely than my gibson victory
Old 04-16-2013, 08:33 PM

I am Westone, hear me roar

Hey guys, check this out. This is me playing my 85 Westone Spectrum GT with my band. I usually record and gig my Rickenbacker but this song was written and arranged on the Spectrum, so when it came time to get a basement recording it had to be this bass:

https://soundcloud.com/metalmozart/front-stab

I think we need to play with the recording a little, it's kind of boomy and some of the brightness seems to have been lost in translation, but you get the idea. Super Slinky strings, Darkglass b3k to give it some mild overdrive, through an Ampeg pf500/pf210he rig into a mic, played with fingers.

Westone Club Member #18, Vintage Modified Jaguar Club, Rickenbacker # 390, PF #313

Last edited by Spectrum : 04-16-2013 at 08:45 PM.
Old 04-16-2013, 09:43 PM

Supporting Member
That's a cool dark song. I just scored this Westone rail recently and I love it! I was able to take my daughter to lacrosse practice today and sit in the minivan and jam for almost 2 hours with my Korg Pandora and some headphones. It sounds kickass!

Old 04-16-2013, 10:18 PM

I'm not a fan of headless/bodiless basses, but if I ran across a Rail locally I'd snap it up. It's the only headless bass I ever thought was cool.
Old 04-30-2013, 05:02 AM

Supporting Member
love that Rail. Great design. Great tones to be had. I know you will love it. Still waiting to find one for myself. Keep telling myself that I have enough Guitars and basses but I know I'm just taking a break from buying ,this too will change shortly. I am always watching Westones on Ebay but I tend to buy them at my local music store and a rail hasn't shown up there for about 15 years but when it does.
Old 04-30-2013, 05:05 PM

Supporting Member
I searched all over the country on Craigslist for that one and found it in Michigan. Luckily, ffrom years of writing for a chopper magazine and being involved in the industry, I have contacts all over that will help me with logistics. I love my rail - I just wish it was a 5 string