That's a pretty open-ended question, mainly because it'll invite an equal amount of opinion and fact. But one thing I think some of us can agree upon, MIA's and MIJ/CIJ's are pretty different creatures. There are significant differences in design doctrine that really set them apart from each other, especially when you bring Fender Japan's Aerodyne lines into the mix.
I own an Aerodyne, but I haven't had the pleasure of owning an American-made bass yet. I can't say which is "better", especially without knowing what would make one superior to another for you. Maybe if you give us a little more to work with?
But what I can tell you is what makes my Aerodyne special to me.
- It was my very first bass (re: shamefully biased )
- I like the versatility of the Precision/Jazz pickup configuration (the neck pickup solo'd can cop a pretty decent P-bass sound, but the two together bring out something neither "P" nor "J")
- The neck, with it's Jazz-width (1.5") and tighter-than-normal radius (7.25"), feels great in my hands
- It's light without feeling like a toy (mine's 8.5lbs)
- I was able to install a Drop-D tuner with zero-hassle
- Oh, and it's super-sexy lookin'!
Hopefully someone who owns both, or did at one time, will weigh in. I'm always eager to hear objective comparisons to the few basses I own.