Go Back   TalkBass Forums > Bass Guitar Forums > Bass Guitar Forums > Basses [BG]
Register Rules/FAQ/CUP Members List Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Supporting Membership
Thank You

Latest Supporting Member
Donate to Upgrade Today

Old 12-12-2012, 04:32 PM

So, if given an opportunity, how many of these people would put squier decal on a genuine fender? They're only fooling themselves. You can try justifying it, but it's still lame. If you're so proud of the squier, why would you take the name off.

Last edited by FunkRenegade : 12-12-2012 at 04:34 PM.
Old 12-12-2012, 04:34 PM

Supporting Member
I wouldn't dare put a Fender decal on any of my "real" Fenders; my G&L's. On the other hand I have a no name that I might because of Bass snobs that I know.
Old 12-12-2012, 04:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by FunkRenegade View Post
So, if given an opportunity, how many of these people would put squier decal on a genuine fender? They're only fooling themselves. You can try justifying it, but it's still lame.
How am I fooling myself if I know *exactly* why I'm changing the decal?
Old 12-12-2012, 04:38 PM

Supporting Member
Where's the popcorn gif when it's needed?
Old 12-12-2012, 04:41 PM

Supporting Member
This decal is the way to do it but put whatever on it except Fender. Heck put your own name or your girlfiend's on it. Maybe if you put your wife's on it she might let you keep your extra gear.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	The Moss Precision Decal.JPG
Views:	105
Size:	27.9 KB
ID:	305214  

Last edited by Flabass : 12-12-2012 at 04:43 PM. Reason: Additional information
Old 12-12-2012, 04:45 PM

Squier is still a squier. Putting a fender decal on it serves no purpose other than to deceive.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sgt. Rock View Post
How am I fooling myself if I know *exactly* why I'm changing the decal?
Old 12-12-2012, 04:46 PM

Yay, zombie thread! I love this one. So many panties in a bunch.
Old 12-12-2012, 05:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by FunkRenegade View Post
Squier is still a squier. Putting a fender decal on it serves no purpose other than to deceive.
I know it's deceptive. You still haven't clarified how I am fooling myself.
Old 12-12-2012, 05:24 PM

Old 12-12-2012, 05:42 PM

Supporting Member
Quote:
I know it's deceptive. You still haven't clarified how I am fooling myself.
Not that you asked me, but....

you're fooling yourself thinking you're "screwing with/laughing at gear snobs". The fact that you know enough to want to put a lot of effort into hiding the fact that you're playing a Squier exposes you as a gear snob with no money.

You're like a guy caught at a brothel that, when confronted by his wife, claims that he was merely doing reasearch on why other men go there.
Old 12-12-2012, 06:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by smcd

You're like a guy caught at a brothel that, when confronted by his wife, claims that he was merely doing reasearch on why other men go there.
Haha love it
Blues Bass players club member #156 // Fender Jazz Bass Club #1060 // The Official Fender Precision Bass Club #1026
Old 12-12-2012, 07:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by smcd View Post
Not that you asked me, but....

you're fooling yourself thinking you're "screwing with/laughing at gear snobs". The fact that you know enough to want to put a lot of effort into hiding the fact that you're playing a Squier exposes you as a gear snob with no money.
Incorrect, on so may levels. Well, actually, three.

1. I have enough money to buy whatever gear I want. I'm a fancy man and I have lots of fancy things. I mean *lots*. You really have no idea. So there.
2. I'm not putting a lot of effort into hiding anything. I'm painting the headstock to match the body because I like the way it looks. Hell I might even light the thing up with Radio Shack LED's just because I can. And I'm putting no more effort into slapping on a Fender decal than I would a Squier decal (actually they're easier to find, so it's less effort).
3. I really *do* get a kick out of watching purists get their undies in a twist. If you knew me in real life, you'd understand.

Honestly, it wasn't for the Squier VM series I never would have gotten back into a Fender product at all. I would have picked up a G&L, Lakland or Sadowsky. As it stands, the value for the money+ability to mod without ruining thousands of dollars in market value means the VM Squiers make sense for me. It's just a fun project. I'm a tinkerer.

So I'm going to put a Fender badge on my headstock, upgrade everything else, play the hell out of it, and quietly suffer a tortured, shameful existence under the knowing glances and unspoken judgement of others, knowing deep down that I'm a fraud and that Dad was right all along.
Old 12-12-2012, 07:57 PM

Supporting Member
Whats the big deal? People should be free to do what they want with their own stuff. Way more important things to worry about.

The argument that someone may get taken has never jived with me. Buyer beware.

There is a ton of repro stuff on the car market. Same type of thing to me.

Im gonna put a Fender decal on my Ric.
Old 12-13-2012, 04:15 AM
Steve Doner

Custom Theme Guitars for Donation to Non-Profits

GOLD Supporting Member
I'm thinkin 'bout sanding the Fender logo off my Mustang and put a decal on a bare headstock instead...maybe add a second thumbrest too...just to annoy my son.
Old 12-13-2012, 05:10 AM

Quote:
Very few things embarrass me.
Yes, and that is why society is going to hell..........
Old 12-13-2012, 05:18 AM

I would never do it to a Squier, that's just lame, even if you are a fancy man.

But I wouldn't have a problem putting one on a licensed neck. I mean, it is already a copy, logo or not. Not saying I would definitely do it, but I really don't see anything wrong with it.
Old 12-13-2012, 05:21 AM

Supporting Member
I have 2 MIJ SQ-series Squiers that according to many, are identical to the JV Fenders. I leave them alone. No matter the stated good intent of one who "upgrades" a headstock decal, its overwhelming usage is, like a serial number, an authentication that is recognized in the marketplace with money, because in the marketplace, it doesn't matter how an instrument sounds (I'm crazy about my Squiers), it only matters what an instrument is, and we figure that out using accepted methods of identification. When new, my Squiers sold for less than Fenders, and if it is true that the only difference was the decal, all the more reason to consider the unnecessary changing of a decal fraudulent (and I can't think of a necessary decal change). One is a pro line and sells for a pro price; the other a student line selling for a student price. An owner may say "It's mine and I can do whatever I want with it," but on a quick google search, PA, GA, WI and NC laws are readily returned showing that it's a crime to alter the brand or serial number on personal property with the intent to change its identity. I suspect the last was added to exempt citizens from criminal liability in the case of unavoidable damage or repair. In other words, it's my guess that carefully removing a decal completely, then replacing it with a non-original decal, and even going to lengths to blend the finish in so as to look original, would all be major strikes against a person charged under these statutes.
Old 12-13-2012, 05:46 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tkozal View Post
Yes, and that is why society is going to hell..........
So THIS GUY is to blame for that?

Thank God we found the culprit.
Fender Jazz Bass Club #762
Black N Maple Club #438
I am an Ass Club #1
Quote:
Originally Posted by BawanaRik View Post
A false rape charge is millions of times worse that any "rape" that may or may not have happened.
What song is it you wanna hear?
Old 12-13-2012, 06:02 AM

Send a message via Skype™ to SquierJazz72
Quote:
But I wouldn't have a problem putting one on a licensed neck. I mean, it is already a copy, logo or not. Not saying I would definitely do it, but I really don't see anything wrong with it.
My point of curiosity is similar.

Say one built a Jazz bass all from genuine Fender or Fender licensed components. It's about as Fender as a Fender can get, but didn't happen to come from the factory.

Putting on a full decal with a serial number and trying to pass it off as a factory original, for the possible monetary gain, is wrong IMO. But, what if it just says Fender Jazz Bass? For all practical purposes, it is, just not one assembled by a Fender employee.
Fender Jazz Bass Club #1021,Blues Bass Players Club #172
Lefties Who Play Righty Club #288
Old 12-13-2012, 06:11 AM

Anything with a serial # or "made in USA" would be wrong.