Originally Posted by JMPeat
I was just wandering what the difference is between the Deluxe and the standard P-Bass. i am not gettin the american because that is way out of my price range, but is the deluxe worth the extra £££. thanks in advance
Hi - I have both so I'll try and give you some specifics:
- 2010 Deluxe has 21 frets versus 20 on the Standard
- Deluxe has slightly smaller body than Standard. I didn't thinks it was the case, but side by side, you can see the Standard is slightly longer in body length.
- Both have excellent quality workmanship. Neck pockets are tight. Quality of materials is excellent.
- Finish - I would say that the finish on the Deluxe (I have a three tone sunburst) is flawless. I have a black Standard and on the back of the body, you can see slight ripples in the paint finish. Nothing at all really, but compared to the Deluxe, not quite as good quality paint finish - though still excellent.
- PUPS -Deluxe has upgraded pups in P/J configuration (J pup is noiseless). P bass pup is "Deluxe".
- Deluxe is active but can bet flipped to passive with a toggle switch. Standard is passive.
Deluxe has a real bone nut versus synthetic on the Standard.
Sound wise, The Deluxe has for me, more versatility and the blended P/J pup tone is awesome for me through my Mesa Walkabout Scout. It's the tone I have searched for for 25 years.... The Standard is excellent too. The "classic" PBass sound. In my case, the Standard is also lighter than the Deluxe - in fact my Standard is one of the lightest basses I have owned.
At the end of the day, you have two fantastic basses here. I would recommend the Deluxe over the Standard if you wanted an active, pre-amp arrangement and a bit more tonal versatility. If you want just the classic P Bass tone on its own - stick with the Standard as there is no need to pay the extra dosh if that is the tone you want.
Hope this helps.