from their website:
Evolution is about enhancing and expanding desirable traits while reducing unwanted traits. That was Leo Fender’s† mission for G&L, and that’s exactly what the new MJ-4™ accomplishes The active MJ-4 features G&L’s new Bi-coil Alnico V pickups and MJ-spec preamp/control system for a wide range of single-coil tones from classic jazz to far beyond, all without single-coil hum.
A G&L Alnico Bi-coil pickup looks just like a classic Alnico single-coil, but under the cover are two side-by-side coils, configured in series-humbucking mode. The new pickups are optimized for a specially tuned version of G&L’s studio-quality M-spec preamp and control system, dubbed MJ-spec. The 18v system features volume, pan and +/-14dB 3-band EQ with center detents, and is powered by twin 9v batteries housed in an easy-access compartment. With an LF442 chip, 100v poly caps, 1% metal film resistors and big, fat signal traces on the mil-spec circuit board, this preamp reveals everything the player and the instrument have to offer.
• G&L Bi-coil pickups for classic tone without the hum
• MJ-spec studio-quality 18v preamp
• Primary volume and pan controls to explore the full range of sounds available between the two pickups
• +/-14dB 3-band EQ with peripherally placed, center-detent, reduced-diameter knobs
• An impeccable, familiar “feel” of the instrument in the hands and on the shoulder
• 1 1/2” nut-width, medium C neck neck profile
• Medium-Jumbo, Plek-dressed frets
If you can't serve as a good example,
You'll just have to serve as a horrible warning.