Hello Bass world. I am a fairly knowledgeable bass player, I've owned dozens of basses and currently have a closet full, but I've been stumped by the most recent Jazz bass I picked up today. Can someone help?
Here is what I know:
I'm 100% positive that this is all original, I bought it from the original owner who purchased it in 2005, he claims it's a 76-reissue (maybe the pickups, but not the bass) but it had the plastic still on the pickguard and the case still had that SMELL. Ohh, the smell of a brand new Jazz Bass, you know.
Something is suspicious, because it doesn't look, feel, or sound like a Standard USA Jazz.
- Z5021... Serial number shows MIA built in 2005
- Dot Inlay's suggest not 70's RI(?)
- Tuners are not reverse and no button on the back means it's not a 62 RI neck. Front badge and SN look standard 2005
- Bridge is not typical J-Bass bridge
- Neck pickup is not routed like a 62' vintage body
- Blank neck plate like vintage RI
- Transparent Red finish is matte, not glossy
- Truss rod adjustment is at the head (not standard)
- Nothing telling in the neck pocket
And holy crap does it sound AMAZING.
I've got 4 Jazz basses right now, the Geddy and Marcus are even supposed to be 70's reissue but this SMOKES them hands down. The tone is HUGE and the neck feels thinner than my 90's Deluxe but not as thin as the Geddy.