Go Back   TalkBass Forums > Bass Guitar Forums > Bass Guitar Forums > Basses [BG]
Register Rules/FAQ/CUP Members List Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Supporting Membership
Thank You

Latest Supporting Member
Donate to Upgrade Today

Closed Thread

Old 01-03-2013, 02:01 PM

Anyone else think it's ironic that he owns two Zon basses but no Carvin basses
The Lone Wolf Club #73
Bassist that Play Sax Club #3
Old 01-03-2013, 02:16 PM
Sponsored by Jagermeister

Supporting Member
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jarrett
So you buy a new SB5000 for $1050 and sell it used for $800. Is that a bath?
No, most don't seem that minimal. The used SB's has seemed to have done pretty well compared to the history of the other models.
I bought three new Carvins: LB70, 75, and 76. All which cost 11-1300 brand new. I couldn't get over 500 for them (425 in the case of the LB70) when I sold em off.
The ones I bought were for a price point when I was younger, but in the end, their electronics didn't make a tone I dug at all.

I do badly want an AC40, but I won't buy it new when they're relatively easy to find used at nearly half the price.
Old 01-03-2013, 02:20 PM

I'll be completely honest here, I don't think Carvin basses are the least bit attractive. Great bass or not, I'd never be caught playing one on a gig.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jJPJv-NUbw0
Old 01-03-2013, 02:26 PM
a/k/a Steve Cooper

Supporting Member
Been playing a long time, but only in the past year picked up a used Carvin SB5K. I'm a dyed-in-the-wool JJ guy, and the thing does it for me in terms of tone, action, and (especially) balance on a strap. And the tung oil finish on the neck has just the feel I used to try to get by buffing necks with 0000 steel wool.

There's nothing cheap about the build quality, for sure. I own several Fbasses and used to own an American MTD. And a buddy of mine who had Fodera build him a six-string (IOW, the guy knows good instruments) is thinking about getting one of these for his fiver.
Redneck Bassist #20
(Hell, yeah--a redneck can do funk.)

New Jersey Bassist #80 emeritus
(G.S.P. exit 105.)
Old 01-03-2013, 02:40 PM
Functionless Art is Merely Tolerated Vandalism

Supporting Member
Carvin are a world class value, that does not make them a world class bass. This is coming from a guy who owns and loves his Carvin.

! Rocking against all gods !
Old 01-03-2013, 02:43 PM

Supporting Member
OK I'll play...cause you can get a good used German Warwick for even less and they are far superior to Carvin?
Old 01-03-2013, 02:43 PM

Supporting Member
when i set out to get the bass that is my number 1, i wanted a fender p bass with three pickups, a p-retro, and a tremolo. carvin didn't offer these options so i would have to get a bass from them that didn't meet my needs and drop more coin to get it the way i wanted, or i could get the fender i wanted for cheaper and have the same work done.
Old 01-03-2013, 02:45 PM
P is the Key. Call me Marc or Marky Potatoes.

Send a message via Skype™ to ggvicviper
GOLD Supporting Member
Quote:
Originally Posted by RxFunk View Post
Anyone else think it's ironic that he owns two Zon basses but no Carvin basses
The OP admitted this in his 2nd post on this thread. Hasn't posted since...

Quote:
Originally Posted by jmattbassplaya View Post
I'll be completely honest here, I don't think Carvin basses are the least bit attractive. Great bass or not, I'd never be caught playing one on a gig.
Thank you for saying this first. I feel the same, though I hinted at it earlier. EDIT - The SB series is actually pretty nice looking, just not really my thing.

Playing Fender Ps, G&L L5000, Ibanez Destroyer

Clubs: Fender, Fender P, P5, G&L

Last edited by ggvicviper : 01-04-2013 at 10:31 AM.
Old 01-03-2013, 02:46 PM

Owner/Builder: HJC Customs USA, The Cool Lute, C G O

Send a message via Yahoo to Musiclogic
Quote:
Originally Posted by jmattbassplaya View Post
If you play a bass because of looks rather than playability, well that is your decision.

The electronics thing is the funniest...Carvins "in house" pre? You mean Graph tech. As opposed to Bartolini, Aguilar, etc which are manufactured in Korea. Then shipped here?

Yep, Carvin pckups have left something to be desired forever. But the Pre amps since the 90's have been one of the most clear and clean pre's made.

Carvin necks until the early 2000's were based on a narrow spacing, NON Fender design, which was a foreign feel to just about anyone except Ric or Hof/Dano players. They have always been well made, and incredibly reliable.

There are just too many fallacies put forth in forums like this to perpetuate opinions of those who have never played them or only seen them in a magazine.

Carvin sells thousands of basses a year, yet they do not pop up for sale very often and are rarely seen in repair shops. Carvin has their own Quality Control, their own wood purchasing, and their own manufacturing facility. The Make their basses. Sadowsky contracts necks and bodies out to other companies then assembles and finishes them either in Asia or US. So the Sadowsky comparative is far fetched at best. Carvin doesn't make a Fender clone, thus making them even a little more different.

Am not saying Carvin is the best in the world, but they are very well made, and while they may not fit your eye, or feel like sex to you, doesn't mean you have to condescend someone else who likes them.

The answer to this thread is simple.... it's all subjective! Some people need the $7K Jazz bass with a good set up, others will buy an MIM and get it set up. It's all about what each player wants and needs.

Last edited by Musiclogic : 01-03-2013 at 02:48 PM.
Old 01-03-2013, 02:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Direct Box Rox View Post
Unless we are all wealthy (I am not), how come all of do not play Carvin? It would seem to make sense if you are willing to pay $3000 for a Sadowsky (or fill in "Sadowsky" with any other boutique co.) that we would be willing to pay half of that for something that is arguably equal or better.

I once wasted the better part of an entire weekend "virtual building" their basses. Whenever the final price appeared on the screen my jaw would drop because I couldn't believe how low the price is. Then I go thinking, if thats the case, how come all of us dont have one (or more).

And in other scenario's, it's even more obvious. If you are willing to pay say $1200 for a Korean made Zon, than you would be willing to pay $950 for a US made Carvin with better options, right?

Just a thought.
Sign me up for a Carvin P bass...oh wait.
Old 01-03-2013, 02:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Musiclogic View Post
Yep, Carvin pckups have left something to be desired forever. But the Pre amps since the 90's have been one of the most clear and clean pre's made...
I disagree, as an owner of a SB4K. My J99 pickups smokes any Fender I have played (what my Carvin eventually replaced). These are the most full sounding stock electronics I have ever heard, ever.

I sold my MM, Warwick; retired my Jazz bass, this Carvin is really nice.
Old 01-03-2013, 02:51 PM

Quote:
This would be the most ridiculous statement next to all of the electronics quotes.

If you play a bass because of looks rather than playability, well that is your decision.

The electronics thing is the funniest...Carvins "in house" pre? You mean Graph tech. As opposed to Bartolini, Aguilar, etc which are manufactured in Korea. Then shipped here?

Yep, Carvin pckups have left something to be desired forever. But the Pre amps since the 90's have been one of the most clear and clean pre's made.

Carvin necks until the early 2000's were based on a narrow spacing, NON Fender design, which was a foreign feel to just about anyone except Ric or Hof/Dano players. They have always been well made, and incredibly reliable.

There are just too many fallacies put forth in forums like this to perpetuate opinions of those who have never played them or only seen them in a magazine.

Carvin sells thousands of basses a year, yet they do not pop up for sale very often and are rarely seen in repair shops. Carvin has their own Quality Control, their own wood purchasing, and their own manufacturing facility. The Make their basses. Sadowsky contracts necks and bodies out to other companies then assembles and finishes them either in Asia or US. So the Sadowsky comparative is far fetched at best. Carvin doesn't make a Fender clone, thus making them even a little more different.

Am not saying Carvin is the best in the world, but they are very well made, and while they may not fit your eye, or feel like sex to you, doesn't mean you have to condescend someone else who likes them.

The answer to this thread is simple.... it's all subjective! Some people need the $7K Jazz bass with a good set up, others will buy an MIM and get it set up. It's all about what each player wants and needs.
Why is it ridiculous? If you can find a bass that's both sharp looking and a total dream to play then wouldn't you choose that bass 10 times out of 10 over another bass that plays well but isn't the least bit appealing to your eyes?

It's not condescending for me to say I don't find a particular brand attractive to my eyes. Heck, some people think EBMM StingRays are ugly and those are my go to basses in terms of looks, playability, and tone! I think those people are crazy, but I won't hold it against them. Nobody is perfect

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jJPJv-NUbw0
Old 01-03-2013, 02:59 PM

Supporting Member
Quote:
I'm confused what Graph Tech has to do with Carvin's preamp. The current, or even the old 9v Carvin preamps have nothing to do with Graph Tech as far as I can see. The only things Graph Tech that I see in Carvins are the nuts and piezo bridge pickups.

The Carvin preamps certainly appear to be designed in house.
Old 01-03-2013, 03:00 PM
Casting out the nines

Supporting Member
Quote:
I was one that said I didn't like the Carvin pre and I stand by that. I lived a mile from the now closed Sacramento showroom for two years playing quite a few and have owned five Carvin basses (LB76, LB70PF, XB75, B4 and IC5) starting in 1992 with the last one I bought (the IC5) being in late 2006 or early 2007 right after they came out.

These were loaded with pretty much every type of Carvin pickup that was made at the time. The HBs, the H50As, the J99s, the SBs and their piezo setup.

There was nothing wrong with any of them, but I think Carvin's approach was for very clear sounding electronics which resulted in tone that IMO lacked their own character. Changing out for a more colored preamp (and in two cases new pickups) changed the character of the bass to something more along my tonal goals. I have heard that the new J99s have a different vibe than the old version but I haven't tried a Carvin in quite a few years now. For that matter I can't say whether their preamps or other pickups are the same either, so take my opinion for what it's worth.

And I DO think Carvin's pickups get a bit of a bad rap. Other than the Icon Soapbars (which seem artificially bass and low mid heavy) they all are natural and relatively full range sounding. Had I kept that bass I would have first tried swapping out the pickups before the preamp.

Feel free to disagree but these are not opinions I'm parroting from Talkbass threads, but my own experiences with Carvin basses which I still think are very solid and underrated instruments.

Last edited by Jared Lash : 01-03-2013 at 03:08 PM.
Old 01-03-2013, 03:13 PM

Carvin haters haven't tried the new basses like the SB series or even the upgraded B4's. Everything about the new Carvin's is better. The awards the SB basses have received comes from every bass publication imaginable and includes Bass Gear, who's bass tech is extremely tough to please.
Old 01-03-2013, 03:21 PM

Supporting Member
Quote:
Originally Posted by jeff7bass View Post
Carvin haters haven't tried the new basses like the SB series or even the upgraded B4's. Everything about the new Carvin's is better. The awards the SB basses have received comes from every bass publication imaginable and includes Bass Gear, who's bass tech is extremely tough to please.
I think this has to do a lot with it and is a good point. I know older Carvin owners don't like it when this kind of sentiment is expressed though.
Old 01-03-2013, 03:29 PM

Supporting Member
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jarrett View Post
I think this has to do a lot with it and is a good point. I know older Carvin owners don't like it when this kind of sentiment is expressed though.
As an owner of an SB5000 and one of their neck through BB75 models, I must say they're VERY different instruments. I can really understand how folks could love one and not care much for the other.
Old 01-03-2013, 03:33 PM
Supporting Member

Supporting Member
Quote:
Originally Posted by basslayer View Post
when i set out to get the bass that is my number 1, i wanted a fender p bass with three pickups, a p-retro, and a tremolo. carvin didn't offer these options so i would have to get a bass from them that didn't meet my needs and drop more coin to get it the way i wanted, or i could get the fender i wanted for cheaper and have the same work done.
LOL. Well, no, Carvin doesn't offer that particular combination of features. Um... who does? And, a USA Fender is not less than a comparably optioned Carvin.

I'm not questioning you decision, but the Fender didn't meet your needs either, if you had to have work done to it after you got it.

Still, I guess you did give another example of why we shouldn't all just be buying Carvins.

"You ain't good enough no lessin' you got the soul" - Hubert Sumlin
Old 01-03-2013, 03:35 PM

I was very impressed by the tone and the setup of a B4 I played at the factory last week. Nothing dull or lifeless about, just thick, punchy and articulate. You can tame the clarity down with the controls and/or amp, but you can't bring to life a dull sounding bass. It was light too and the setup was PERFECT. $699.00 brand new right now. I want one BAD but have two basses to sell first. It's a "go to" bass IMO.
Old 01-03-2013, 03:35 PM

Supporting Member
The same reason we don't all drink water. Some just don't like the flavor...
Closed Thread