Go Back   TalkBass Forums > Bass Guitar Forums > Bass Guitar Forums > Basses [BG]
Register Rules/FAQ/CUP Members List Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Supporting Membership
Thank You

Latest Supporting Member
Donate to Upgrade Today

Old 08-15-2007, 11:26 PM

My new bass..Cort/Elrick RB5..it's a keeper!

Well I bought this Bass from TB'er Fezzey and it just arrived today:

My initial thoughts were pretty positive based on looks alone but not really overwhelmed since it was replacing a Benavente. Then I played it for just a few minutes through my Ampeg BA115 and I decided I liked it a little more. It's true that the MK1 pre has WAY more treble than a bass player should ever need. It has enough topend to make even a tweeterless rig sing. The bass can get sort of BOOMY when it's cranked but this was through the BA115. I'm thinking of swapping out to an Audere in the future but we'll see...?

The bass is very well constructed as everyone has mentioned with these basses. And talk about light!!! I haven't actually weighed it yet but compared to my old SCD5 this thing is a featherweight.

It was shipped from Chicago and needed just a few minor adjustments to the intonation and tuning. Really rock solid neck and one of the BEST fret jobs I've ever seen on any bass. This is the first bass I've ever played with a zero fret and I really like it. Finish is top notch and the fit is what can be expected on a bass costing twice as much easily. My only complaint is that the control cavity cover scratches VERY easily-not a biggie since I'd like to replace it with a flame maple wood cover. I do like the fact that it has a separate battery compartment something I wish more high end luthiers would consider.

I "gigged" it at my church tonight and everyone was really impressed with it. Our sound-tech said it was really easy to get it to cut through-and it sounded really great through the monitors. Our guitar player even asked me-"How many thousands did that set you back?" Since he's used to me playing customs i.e.-Benavente,Warrior,Tobias. So imagine his surprise when I told him-"Less than your MIA Strat!"

My wife who's cluless on music even commented on how she could actually hear everything I was playing tonight-So I'm thinking I really have a winner here. Maybe a few upgrades and it will run right up there with the top dogs if you ask me.

So that's my initial impression for now-I'll let you know what I think after I go to a recordng session tomorrow. Until then here's a few more pics:

Elrick Club #19
Cort Club Member #31...ONE bass, 2 Clubs. AWESOME

Last edited by Kephah : 08-15-2007 at 11:31 PM.
Old 08-16-2007, 01:28 AM
Banned

Send a message via MSN to Baryonyx
Very nice, that bass is gorgeous!
Old 08-16-2007, 03:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris2112 View Post
Very nice, that bass is gorgeous!

Thanks-it sounds as good as it looks for under $600 I think it's the best bang for your buck bass available!!

Off to the studio I go-
Elrick Club #19
Old 08-20-2007, 11:55 AM

I really wish there was more interest in these basses.

or maybe just my threads.......lol
Elrick Club #19
Old 08-20-2007, 12:36 PM

Supporting Member
Me too. I just spent over a month trying to trade mine (Josh Paul 5-string, not RB5). I had some interesting offers, but nothing I would consider even close to being comparable in terms of quality. I finally gave up.
Old 08-20-2007, 12:42 PM

great bass! I have a 4 string just like that, thats gutted and awaiting new pickups. I've never seen a Cort 5 like that one with the ebony accent in the body. I knew the 4s had em, but I never saw a 5 with em.
Old 08-20-2007, 01:55 PM

Congrats!

If you go with an Audere pre, you won't be disappointed.

c5.

"Its not until you lose everything that you are free to do anything..."
Old 08-20-2007, 02:02 PM
Talkbass Legit

Supporting Member
That's a beautiful instrument - been wanting one of those myself. Congrats!

I too know the quality of instruments Cort is putting out - my GB75 is awesome. I'd much rather have it than a whole slew of basses that are "supposed" to play & sound better because they cost much more. Anyway, I'm feelin ya bro...that's a great bass you have there.
Zoom B3|Gallien-Krueger MB500|Avatar TB153|Ibanez Club Member #1135|SX Club Member in Good Standing
Old 08-20-2007, 02:54 PM

Owner: Brevard Sound Systems

Send a message via AIM to BassikLee
Mine has the accent line. I think the lack of interest in this bass is mostly due to the undeserved perception of Cort as a low end brand. I think another factor is that some of the guys who've had them for sale here have been looking for top dollar from the bass. Given that the bass is a VERY nice bass, and recently sold for upwards of $800, it should be worth the 5-600 they've been asking. That said, the fact that the few dealers on ebay who still have these have been blowing them out at $559 brand new means that used ones just lost quite a bit of value as well.

All that said, the bass is VERY nice. VERY smooth, extremely even response. The build quality is great. The design, thanks to Rob Elrick, is great. I have felt his basses, and they are "nicer", but very, very similar. In my mind, this particular bass apologizes to nobody.

Lee
Old 08-20-2007, 03:04 PM
Registered Blueser

Supporting Member
Nothing to apologize for, mate. That is sweet. My profile tells you how I feel about Elricks. Not only do I own a couple of them...I play out with them!

M. M.
Old 08-20-2007, 03:10 PM
UnRegistered User

I could post a pic of mine, but you wouldn't be able to tell the difference!

Looks great, and plays real nice. I'm not 5 string fan, but I found it easy to adapt to.

My wife bought me one as a birthday present - totally out of blue, without any guidance or advice. She just thought it looked cool (and she checked a few reviews). It was a really good choice.

I'm tempted to get another!

Cort make a lot of the basses that have other peoples names on them (it's been said that if it has "made in Korea" on it, it's a Cort), and while they certainly do have lower end intruments, the Elrick is a class bass.

Ian
Old 08-20-2007, 04:00 PM
Registered Blueser

Supporting Member
IanStephenson wrote:

Quote:
My wife bought me one as a birthday present - totally out of blue, without any guidance or advice. She just thought it looked cool (and she checked a few reviews). It was a really good choice.
Your wife and my wife must be secret friends. Both of my Elricks were surprise gifts from Mrs. Blue. How did they know what to buy? It doesn't matter. It's obvious that they have great taste in musical instruments!

M. M.
Old 08-20-2007, 10:11 PM

Cool I'm finding out who else owns/has experience witht these babies!

C-5KO I'm guessing you have experience with the Audere??
Elrick Club #19

Last edited by Kephah : 08-20-2007 at 10:17 PM.
Old 08-21-2007, 07:04 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kephah View Post
Cool I'm finding out who else owns/has experience witht these babies!

C-5KO I'm guessing you have experience with the Audere??
I ordered one a year ago, and finally had the time to put it in one of my six strings classic bolt-on recently. I never had a chance to hear it with the stock barts as I had Nord DC's install along with it also.

Before the switch I was hesitant, because I had used this bass for recording, and was able to get the specific sounds I wanted... and now, after the switch, it's even easier to dial it in. Funny thing, during installation, the neck DC went bad (due to installation human error, fixed by the amazing staff at Nord), and I only had the bridge pickup installed for a week or two. To be honest, the neck pickup wasn't needed, the bridge sounded so great.

Since then, I've ordered another Audere pre from David for another Elrick bass with J pickups.

I have mine configured Vol, Balance, Bass, Mid Hi/Mid Lo, True Treble/Treble, and of course Z-mode switch. Having the mids separate is something I wish I had on all my basses, and Z-mode is pretty sweet too.

The Bart pre is sort of dark to my ears, I would guess that the Audere would open your sound up a bit. Less muffled, more natural.

"Its not until you lose everything that you are free to do anything..."

Last edited by C-5KO : 08-21-2007 at 07:07 AM.
Old 09-17-2007, 09:08 PM

Any one else upgrade their RB5? I'm thinking of using the "real" Bart pre that Elrick offers just for this bass.
Elrick Club #19
Old 09-17-2007, 11:02 PM

Hey all, I also own one of these basses - I play in a metal band and it really cuts through the mix well.

It sounds even better when we play live - I get so many goods comments like "who would think a Cort could sound so good!".

One of the best basses I have played!
Sadowsky Club Member #370, M5-24 Trans White
Old 09-17-2007, 11:07 PM

I've got an Audere in my RB5. It's an excellent pre-amp and adds a nice amount of flexibility to the bass. Honestly though, the MK1 pre is not that bad, it's pretty transparent already. I recorded before and after clips and it's still obviously the same bass with very subtle differences.

I'd really like to swap out the pickups though. Either Nordstrand or the Bart MK5's. I'd be interested in opinions on that.

Any way you dice it... killer bass for 5-6 bills. Enjoy!
Old 09-17-2007, 11:16 PM

Sweet bass, sweet buy. Congrats, and I highly suggest modding with some sweet pups and maybe an Aguilar OBP1-- then you'll have a monster you'll probably never have to worry about wanting to sell. All that bass could possibly lack is some boutique-quality electronics-- the construction looks nice and the design is definately on the up and up. Good for you dude.
Lakland Owners Group #181
Lakland Deluxe 55-94 ('98 tts)
Lakland Deluxe 55-94 ('04 nat)

Markbass Owners Club #6
Markbass CMD 102P
Markbass STD 104HF
Old 09-18-2007, 04:08 AM

G.A.S...
Damn.

Super nice Bass you got there.
Old 09-18-2007, 05:40 AM

Supporting Member
If I were you, I wouldn't do the Audere -- in this application, I'd go with either the Aggie or the Upgraded Bart. To my ears, the MK1s tend to sound a bit metallic/crunchy and the Audere only amplifies that. IMO, you need something to warm the bass up a bit.

By the way -- that's a beautiful bass -- great score!

Last edited by IotaNet : 09-18-2007 at 09:50 AM.