NBD! The $80 Cirrus.....
I probably shouldn't have bought this bass. I know that. But...sometimes you pick up an instrument and instantly you're able to play the things that were in your head but couldn't translate to the fretboard on other intruments. That happened with this Made in Indonesia Peavey Cirrus BXP.
First the Good:
1. It was $80 out the door.
2. It plays ridiculously easy.
3. The neck adjusted perfectly and the action is slammed right against the frets with no buzz at all, can't ask for more than that.
4. From the front she's a looker.
1. MANY small cracks in the headstock, like 5 or 6.
2. Someone had already tried to repair some of them, poorly, with Super Glue.
3. There is either a crack in the finish, or the wood on the side of the neck. Haven't decided what to do about this.
4. I added the beautiful Gorilla Tape on the back to hide the attrocities until I decide if refinishing, or even a piece of veneer for the back of the headstock is warranted.
5. Both battery connectors needed replacing, one was broken completely and the other was split in half and not soldered to anything appearantly.
Since some yahoo started the repairs with Super Glue I wicked some more in the areas I could and let it cure overnight tightly wrapped in rubber bands. Not the perfect way to fix this but most of the damage was already done.
I let it rest a full 24 hours, tuned it up, installed 2 new 9V batteries and blindly went to band rehearsal (should of taken a back up but I wanted to live dangerously).
To my utter disbelief the bass performed perfectly. Not one iota of evidence that the headstock was as messed up as it actually was. Kept tune perfectly, played perfectly, sounded amazing.
I'll never sell this one because lets face it... no one other than me would buy such a mess, luckily its a player.
An $80 Cirrus... Are you KIDDING ME??????
Even if it falls apart after the first gig, that's worth it!
I'm not an expert on such things, but I do know that you should never ever use Gorilla Glue on any guitar repair. It binds so completely with the wood, fills in the pored so thoroughly, that it makes future repairs on that area impossible. Better hope you did it right the first time, cause if not, the instrument is toast!
No Gorilla Glue. The duct tape is Gorilla Tape...super strength duct tape. The glue was regular Super Glue. I would have used Tight Bond but the repairs were already half assed started with super glue.
I got that. I don't know is super glue has a similar effect.
I would take the bass to a good luthier to see if there is a more permanent solution. It would still be a tremendous deal if you had to spend a couple of hundred to get it right. It would still be a steal.
|All times are GMT -6. The time now is 10:55 PM.|
Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.6.12
Copyright ©2000 - 2013, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.