Go Back   TalkBass Forums > Bass Guitar Forums > Bass Guitar Forums > Basses [BG]
Register Rules/FAQ/CUP Members List Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Supporting Membership
Thank You

Latest Supporting Member
Donate to Upgrade Today

Old 11-24-2012, 11:23 AM

NBD: 2011 American Standard Precision

I picked up a (barely) used 2011 American Standard Precision a few weeks back. I switched the pickup to a Fralin I had laying around, strung it up with Chromes, fine tuned the setup to my liking. I needed a workhorse since selling the 1978 P, and after doing only five gigs with this one, I think it's a keeper.

Fender Precision Club #442
Ampeg Portaflex Club #134

Last edited by derridiandrift : 11-25-2012 at 08:22 AM.
Old 11-24-2012, 11:25 AM

Congrats! That's a sharp bass indeed!
Praise & Worship Bassists #90, Squier Precision 5-String Club #1, Ibanez club #184, Bassists Who Drive Manual #1, Acoustic Bass Club #139, GK #688
Old 11-24-2012, 11:44 AM

Saved money!

In all the years that I've played, I cannot truthfully say that my set up skills are adequate enough to play my basses professionally. I would faint at the thought of a stripped truss rod, and the cost and down time associated with a foolish mistake by me. Curious as to who taught you, or are you self-taught, which does not say much for me, heehee! Hats off to you brother, and the money you have saved yourself. You are much more daring and smarter than me! She looks like a keeper to me also!
Old 11-24-2012, 11:49 AM

I have the 2008 version of your bass. It's a great sounding and playing bass. I'm sure you're going to be very happy together.
Old 11-24-2012, 12:12 PM

Supporting Member
Can I ask a question? Did you not like the way the stock pickup sounded or you'd already made up your mind to put the Fralin in?

I ask because I have the same bass, same year, same color with a rosewood neck and I'm very happy with the sound from the stock pickup (so far). I love Fralins, had them in my old AVRI Jazz. What is the Fralin giving you that the stock pickup isn't? Thanks, and congrats, it's a beautiful bass.
Rickenbacker Club #422
The Fender Jazz Bass Club #1226
Old 11-24-2012, 10:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pedulla-2007 View Post
Curious as to who taught you, or are you self-taught, which does not say much for me, heehee! Hats off to you brother, and the money you have saved yourself.
I've always tried to fix things on my own... cars, bikes, amps, guitars. There are limits to what I can or am willing to do. But I've lived many years with very little money, so out of necessity I've had to learn how to fix things on my own. A long time ago I bought a book and read up on how to do it and what tools to use. Within the last five years, I've had a tech help me sharpen my skills. Still, it takes me way longer to do than someone who does setups professionally.

Last edited by derridiandrift : 11-25-2012 at 08:24 AM.
Old 11-24-2012, 10:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rockinrayduke View Post
Can I ask a question? Did you not like the way the stock pickup sounded or you'd already made up your mind to put the Fralin in?
I have a 1960 Precision that is completely original (I know this because I inherited it from the guy who bought it new in 1960). I bought the 2011 so that I wouldn't have to take the 1960 out every time I wanted to take a P to the gig. When I A/B'ed the stock 2011 against the stock 1960, there was an obvious difference. I had the Fralin on hand, so I switched up.

The Fralin is very close to the stock 1960 pickup. I would describe the stock 2011 pickup as more refined, polite, and less punchy than the 1960 and the Fralin. If I didn't have the 1960 to compare it to, I would have been happy with the stock pickup in the 2011.

Old 11-24-2012, 11:28 PM

Supporting Member
Is the jury still out on the 2012 pickups? Still very curious on peoples thoughts on how they compare to.... well, just about any other P pickup. From what another forumite tells me, they are not identical inside or out to the "Original '62 RI" pickups, though the product info alludes to that fact. Either way, gonna snag me a post 2012 in another month or so.
Official Fender Precision Bass Club #881, Gallien Krueger Official Club #921, N.Y. Bassists Club #52
Old 11-24-2012, 11:36 PM

Supporting Member
Pickguard to black and you got a keeper

AVANT-GARDE MUSIC PROJECTS

My Blues/Jazz Blog: Speakin' the Blues
Old 11-25-2012, 02:28 AM

Supporting Member
Quote:
Originally Posted by derridiandrift View Post
I have a 1960 Precision that is completely original (I know this because I inherited it from the guy who bought it new in 1960). I bought the 2011 so that I wouldn't have to take the 1960 out every time I wanted to take a P to the gig. When I A/B'ed the stock 2011 against the stock 1960, there was an obvious difference. I had the Fralin on hand, so I switched up.

The Fralin is very close to the stock 1960 pickup. I would describe the stock 2011 pickup as more refined, polite, and less punchy than the 1960 and the Fralin. If I didn't have the 1960 to compare it to, I would have been happy with the stock pickup in the 2011.

Makes sense! Thanks, now you've given me something to think about.
Rickenbacker Club #422
The Fender Jazz Bass Club #1226
Old 11-25-2012, 02:34 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by petrus61
Is the jury still out on the 2012 pickups? Still very curious on peoples thoughts on how they compare to.... well, just about any other P pickup. From what another forumite tells me, they are not identical inside or out to the "Original '62 RI" pickups, though the product info alludes to that fact. Either way, gonna snag me a post 2012 in another month or so.
Same here...
Old 11-25-2012, 02:46 AM

Supporting Member
Quote:
Originally Posted by pedulla-2007 View Post
In all the years that I've played, I cannot truthfully say that my set up skills are adequate enough to play my basses professionally. I would faint at the thought of a stripped truss rod, and the cost and down time associated with a foolish mistake by me. Curious as to who taught you, or are you self-taught, which does not say much for me, heehee! Hats off to you brother, and the money you have saved yourself. You are much more daring and smarter than me! She looks like a keeper to me also!
Not to highhjack the thread but if you are at all comfortable/handy with basic tools (screwdrivers, allen wrenches), have a decent tuner (strobe type preferred) and do a little reading it's really not that hard to setup a bass. Mostly what it takes is practice and learning which adjustments impact which aspects of the bass (intonation, action, playability). The key is small adjustments and repeated measuring/checking of the results. Takes patience but really pays off. It's pretty hard to break anything if you take your time.

Oh, and great bass. I have a NOS 2008 with a 2011 fender replaced neck. It's my #1 player - works for so many things. I would say stock pickups have a little smoother top and a bit of a bump in low mids. Not a bad thing really just different and not as vintage. For old school P tone 62 originals or Fralins are great. Mine has a set of Dave Allen pickups and I am totally thrilled with them. Covers a lot a PBass ground.
Old 11-25-2012, 04:04 AM

Beta tester for Positive Grid

Send a message via AIM to Rip Topaz
Great bass.

Do yourself a big favor and read this a few times.
http://www.fender.com/support/articl...ar-setup-guide
It'll come in very handy, and save you a ton of money.
Old 11-25-2012, 06:46 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Britbonic View Post
Not to highhjack the thread but if you are at all comfortable/handy with basic tools (screwdrivers, allen wrenches), have a decent tuner (strobe type preferred) and do a little reading it's really not that hard to setup a bass. Mostly what it takes is practice and learning which adjustments impact which aspects of the bass (intonation, action, playability). The key is small adjustments and repeated measuring/checking of the results. Takes patience but really pays off. It's pretty hard to break anything if you take your time.

I would say stock pickups have a little smoother top and a bit of a bump in low mids. Not a bad thing really just different and not as vintage. For old school P tone 62 originals or Fralins are great. Mine has a set of Dave Allen pickups and I am totally thrilled with them. Covers a lot a PBass ground.
^^^ everything you said there is the truth

I don't like I'm not comfortable doing frets so whenever I need that done on my basses I leave it to a pro. Everything else truly is pretty simple stuff once you figure out the balancing act that's going on.

There's not a thing wrong with the stock pickups in the 2011. I just wanted it to sound more like my old one.

I've been considering switching to a black pickguard and maybe adding a bridge cover. My 1978 was ash with maple/maple neck and a black PG. Classic 70s look.

Last edited by derridiandrift : 11-25-2012 at 06:51 AM.
Old 11-25-2012, 08:15 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by petrus61 View Post
I did a back-to-back on a 2012 American Standard Precision with a 2011 at my local Guitar Center yesterday. I thought the 2012 pickup was "hotter" and a bit less refined than the 2011. I personally prefer the 2008-2011 pickup. YMMV.

Roger
Old 11-25-2012, 08:42 AM
Banned

Supporting Member
Very nice - congrats...

- georgestrings
Old 11-25-2012, 09:49 AM

Supporting Member
Congrats on a nice bass. Love my 2010 Precision V.

Don't act your disease, defy it.

Fender Precision club member #63. LDS Cabinet Owner #17, Hartke Club Member #86
Old 11-25-2012, 11:20 AM

Supporting Member
OK 1 more setup tip.

http://www.stewmac.com/shop/Tools/To...Setup_Kit.html

You don't need the straightedge (though it would be nice to have) but the under saddle radius gauge and the string action gauge are worth their weight in gold. Only other piece is a feeler gauge which you can at any hardware or auto supply place. For about the cost of one setup at a guitar tech you can buy everything you need.

I don't do fretwork either (though I'd like to learn) but this tool will save you from buying a bass that needs fretwork or help you figure out why you can't get the setup you want.

http://www.stewmac.com/shop/Tools/St...xst=3&xsr=1857
Musicman Stingray Club #452