NBD: Ibanez SR1405e Need Advice!!
Hi folks. So I broke down and bought an Ibanez sr1405e from AMS. They have a 12 pymt plan that works great for me.
(The NEED HELP part is below this)...
1) Great tone, so solid, punchy and quite EQ-able for almost any situation. I think this has alot to do with the Nordstrand single coils. Awesome passive tone too. I will play passive but only prefer active to put some gain on the bass.
2) The SR neck of course.
3) Fut and finish were flawless. I used to hate gold hardware but this is really nice.
4) The mono bridge is fantastic. I love the ease of adjustment to get spot-on intonation and action. Bigger-post keys makes tuning a breeze! And it stays there!
1) Frets. Its' disappointing that with this model, they don't file fret edges on an angle, although they are very smooth and rounded at the edge, I can easily feel every one. If I keep it, I will have to have them filed along the edges angled towards the string. This thought leads me to #2...
2) I cannot get the action lower than standard 1.5mm to 2mm respectfully. I was hoping for 1mm to 1.5mm like I have on my SR905. I did the adjustments appropriately and professionally. I prefer VERY LITTLE fret buzz, if any at all. Only on a hard attack will it buzz in just a few places. Frets are very even.
So those two cons make me wonder and wish for something else with similar neck measurements. Of course, the neck is the most important part of a bass, IMO.
Here's where I need the HELP or Advice...
For a high-mid priced guitar, the neck and frets should be of better quality IMO.
I don't think sending it back for another same model will fix this, I'm not sure.
Anyone else find this problem?
Should I go with a lower numbered model like the sr605 and install some Nordys in it?
Is there another MFG with similar neck measurements that will set-up like a $1250 bass? (Has to be something from AMS).
MTD Basses / U.S. Peavey Club #100
Last edited by xhawk5 : 12-08-2013 at 11:14 AM.