Go Back   TalkBass Forums > Bass Guitar Forums > Bass Guitar Forums > Basses [BG]
Register Rules/FAQ/CUP Members List Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Supporting Membership
Thank You

Latest Supporting Member
Donate to Upgrade Today

Old 12-31-2012, 10:48 AM

need Dean Experts!

bought this dean a while back, have been using it at shows, recording, etc., and now have a problem. it looks, and has the properties of about 3 different basses from dean. i cannot seem to pinpoint the exact model. and i need new pickups, as the ones on here are going bad, and it is bugging me.

Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_1786.jpg
Views:	24
Size:	196.1 KB
ID:	308353

Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_1783.jpg
Views:	11
Size:	167.6 KB
ID:	308354

Last edited by Culpritbassman : 12-31-2012 at 10:51 AM. Reason: pic. edit
Old 12-31-2012, 11:12 AM
Send lawyers, guns and money...

Supporting Member
It's definitely an Edge series bass, but which one is hard to say. It looks exactly like an Edge 8, but with only four strings. Could be an older Edge 9, I believe they had 2-band EQs like yours. Now all the 4-knob edges are PJ models.

uBass Appreciation Society Blog founder
Old 12-31-2012, 06:46 PM

i keep looking at all the edge series to find it. i the body has a sharp cut on the bottom wing, and all the edges i seem to find are round cut. and with dual pickups, instead of single, and 4 knobs instead of 3, this is getting frustrating. i would wonder is someone before i had it, somehow- " customized it"? i have taken this thing completely apart, and cannot find evidence of "reconstruction".
but thanks anyhow.
Old 12-31-2012, 10:42 PM

Supporting Member
Whatever model it is, if you want new pickups for it, in the end you'll have to follow this procedure anyway: measure the dimensions of the current pickups, and compare those to soapbar pickups offered by various pickup makers, and see what will fit. It's highly unlikely that somebody will know what you need if you just say, "I need a pickup for a Dean [model whatever] bass," but it is pretty likely that somebody makes something that's the size you need.

In general I hate it when somebody questions the premise when somebody asks for help, but, before you drop the relatively big money for new pickups, I'd try re-wiring your controls with new pots, if your bass has passive VVTT controls as it appears. A bad connection or pot is a lot more common than an actual pickup dying, although that is certainly not impossible.

P.S. Although I'm not familiar with your particular model, I have had a few Dean basses.

My band: Dec8de (80s alternative covers)

Last edited by Chuck King : 01-01-2013 at 11:44 AM.
Old 01-01-2013, 11:41 AM

yeah, i figured i would need to size it up. and ive checked all wiring. i can actually hear the coil inside the pickup as well. and it slightly, to the trained ear, i guess you would say, has a very slight coil sound in the amp as well. ive tried 2 of my other amp to double check. and yes, it is passive, so thats where i go from here. thanks to all.