First off, Hi everyone!, Im a long time forum troll but finally decided to register to grab some input from everyone regarding my options.
I've been playing with a working cover band for a few years now and have been switching between an Ibanez BTB570FM and a custom p/j style 4 string with old EMG's (Ill upload pics in a bit) for the 2-3 shows a week we do. They are great basses no doubt and versatile (I LOVE Bartolini Pups).
I'm no expert on these things by any means...im just in the market for a higher end instrument with a few criteria and Id love the advice or recommendations:
1. I'm a huge fan of the natural wood body or overlay such as Bubinga or Quilted Maple, My BTB570 is on the right track but falls short. Preferably NO pick guard
2. I'd like a lighter overall weight (though it isnt critical) I used to play a G&L that could double as a sledgehammer, it was so damn heavy.
3. The Hardware must have versatility in sound ie. EQ dials and 9-18v systems. I do NOT use any effects or boxes...just a tuning pedal and whats onboard most of the time. Im sure if the bass is worth it I could always upgrade this though.
4. I do my own set ups, maintenances and restoration if need be, so even an older used model would be fine if anyone has good input on it.
5. PRICE Preferably less than $1500 but im willing to bend on that.
Please throw me some models/pic/links. ANYTHING!! Id appreciate the hell out of it...unless you start linking Fender basses
they just are a 1 trick pony in the looks and feel departments. Not taking away from the legends that they are.