Go Back   TalkBass Forums > Bass Guitar Forums > Bass Guitar Forums > Basses [BG]
Register Rules/FAQ/CUP Members List Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Supporting Membership
Thank You

Latest Supporting Member
Donate to Upgrade Today

Old 09-28-2012, 02:31 PM

And German Christian Wendt is a great player

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TAbuy_Gh7OI
Old 09-29-2012, 07:39 AM

Send a message via AIM to seang15
Supporting Member
Quote:
Originally Posted by jsbarber View Post
Sean,

I'd like to suggest that we issue honorary memberships to some pro players who have NYBWs basses (even if they don't use them exclusively). I know they're not on TB, at least to my knowledge. The three that come to mind are:
  1. Gary Foote - Blood Sweat & Tears, check out his website: http://www.garyfootemusic.com/ There are a couple of videos in the what's new section.
  2. Cheikh Ndoye - http://www.cheikhndoye.com/ not sure who all Cheikh plays with but here's a video of him (on drums is Marcus Baylor formerly with the Yellow Jackets): http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_99eXaBWUNI
  3. Richard Bona - http://www.bonamusic.com/ and here's a video: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6dUjr_Ebc_E and yes we know, he primarilly plays his Fodera these days. Nevertheless, he keeps a few NYBWs in his stable...

These guys are an inspiration to the rest of us...

Jim
Hi Jim,

Agreed! These guys are a huge inspiration to all us bottom dwellers Some years back (like, 12-13?) I played Gary's white Studio 5 (I believe it is), at Dave's home and at a few shows. Dave built that bass to have in inventory; from what he told me, Gary had purchased another model, but traded Dave (that bass) back for the white Studio 5-string, even swap. I loved that bass! Gary has a killer 5.

When you say give "honorary numbers," do you mean just in "spirit," or reserve some numbers for them? I am game either way

Thanks,
Sean
New York Bass Works (NYBW) Club Member #1 (Founder). Tricked-Out Squier Club Member #222. Official ATK Club member #211.
"Give me a gig!" -J. Pastorius
Old 09-29-2012, 09:13 AM

Supporting Member
Honorary Members

Quote:
Originally Posted by seang15 View Post
When you say give "honorary numbers," do you mean just in "spirit," or reserve some numbers for them?
Wasn't really thinking of numbers so much. Just acknowledging that these players, who provide so much inspiration to us, choose to make music with NYBW instruments (though not necessarilly exclusively).

I really like Gary Foote's sound with his NYBW bass. Check out the Bass Solo and Come On Over videos in the What's New section of his website, http://www.garyfootemusic.com/. On Come On Over: very tight rhythm section; nothing fancy, just tasteful, tight and solid.

Jim

Last edited by jsbarber : 09-29-2012 at 09:41 AM.
Old 10-05-2012, 05:26 PM

Supporting Member
Acknowledged!! love 'em all!
New York Bass Works (NYBW) Club Member #1 (Founder). Tricked-Out Squier Club Member #222. Official ATK Club member #211.
Old 10-06-2012, 03:38 PM

Supporting Member
Cremona & Standard

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joshyswing View Post
Jim, great eyes. That is in fact the bass. I'm glad you didn't get it because I would have never connected with my forever bass.
It just occurred to me that you actually own both the Cremona and the Standard model NYBW basses How would you contrast/compare them, pickups and electronics aside? I played a couple of Cremonas when I visited David last year, and my Cremona-6 will be arriving shortly. But I'm als interested in the Standard models and wonder what your impressions are of the differences (other than price of course!).

Jim
Old 10-24-2012, 09:03 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joshyswing View Post
I guess I'll join the club, since I'm the proud owner of the 1st NYBW Cremona 5. This was the bass that was reviewed in Bass Player Magazine (Sept 06' if I'm not mistaken). I also happen to live about 20 mins from David's place and have spent hours upon hours there, just talking bass and playing his works of art. David is a great bass player, who builds amazing basses that players want to play and keep forever!
Actually Joshyswing you're the second Cremona owner. I worked with Dave Segal back in 2002 on that design for a vision I had for my bass. It turned out so well that he decided to offer it as a new model and he named it "Cremona". The bass that Richard Bona said was the most comfortable five string he had ever played was that first Cremona design. As a matter of fact, it's the same one he took a picture with on the cover of bass guitar magazine. The body was made of black Limba, and the fingerboard was madagascar rosewood. After about six months I traded it back because the lower horn cutaway was a little too deep for me. I slap closer to the fingerboard and I found my index finger kept scratching the wood in the cutaway. We re-worked the design and came up with a new one. Here are the pictures of the new one and it's progress. A few weeks away from completion.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	nybw.png
Views:	178
Size:	290.2 KB
ID:	296653  

Last edited by WeThePeople : 10-24-2012 at 09:08 AM.
Old 10-24-2012, 11:24 AM

Supporting Member
Quote:
Originally Posted by WeThePeople

Actually Joshyswing you're the second Cremona owner. I worked with Dave Segal back in 2002 on that design for a vision I had for my bass. It turned out so well that he decided to offer it as a new model and he named it "Cremona". The bass that Richard Bona said was the most comfortable five string he had ever played was that first Cremona design. As a matter of fact, it's the same one he took a picture with on the cover of bass guitar magazine. The body was made of black Limba, and the fingerboard was madagascar rosewood. After about six months I traded it back because the lower horn cutaway was a little too deep for me. I slap closer to the fingerboard and I found my index finger kept scratching the wood in the cutaway. We re-worked the design and came up with a new one. Here are the pictures of the new one and it's progress. A few weeks away from completion.
Very nice!
Old 10-24-2012, 06:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by seang15 View Post
Hi Jim,

Agreed! These guys are a huge inspiration to all us bottom dwellers Some years back (like, 12-13?) I played Gary's white Studio 5 (I believe it is), at Dave's home and at a few shows. Dave built that bass to have in inventory; from what he told me, Gary had purchased another model, but traded Dave (that bass) back for the white Studio 5-string, even swap. I loved that bass! Gary has a killer 5.

When you say give "honorary numbers," do you mean just in "spirit," or reserve some numbers for them? I am game either way

Thanks,
Sean
A few years ago I was watching "Smokey Robinson - Tribute on Ice" on tv and I noticed the sound of the bassist. He was killing in the background. I keep saying "they need to show who's on bass instead of zooming in on all these d**n skaters!" Not too long after the cameraman panned to the band and guess who was on bass...Yep, Gary Foote with his NYBW studio 5. I swear his tone was resonating thru that tv screen. It was a good look for him and Dave Segal.
Old 10-24-2012, 07:18 PM

Supporting Member
Quote:
Originally Posted by WeThePeople View Post
Yep, Gary Foote with his NYBW studio 5. I swear his tone was resonating thru that tv screen. It was a good look for him and Dave Segal.
Great bass in the hands of a great player...

And congratulations on the new bass, it looks terrific!

Jim
Old 10-28-2012, 07:35 AM

Supporting Member
Long time NYBW owner here. I've had my Concert 6 since 1998, I was one of Dave's earliest NYBW customers. So I think we should re-assign club member numbers according to length of ownership.

I first heard about NYBW from Georga Panos, who was the first person to commission an NYBW bass. One night I just happened to walk into a bar on the South Shore where George was gigging. I didn't know him from Adam and had never heard of NYBW, but I sure noticed the sound of his bass. We talked a bit between sets and he let me pluck around on his 5 string to get a feel for it. At the time there was probably only a handful of NYBWs in existence. It's amazing that a random choice to get a few beers at that venue that particular night let me to David Segal and the bass of a lifetime.

As I'm sure most of his customers do, I consider Dave a good friend. His products, workmanship and customer service are all superb, but beyond that he really is a great guy and fantasist bassist. He and his wife Carla put a 9-piece band together for my wedding in July 2000 and the music they made is something that our friends and relatives still talk about whenever the subject of good weddings comes up.

My 36" scale sixer has a mahogany body with quilted maple top. Maple neck with a Brazilian rosewood fingerboard. It started with Lindy Fralin single coil pickups but the hum was driving me crazy so he swapped in Bartolinis. No active electronics, just V/V/T. I play it through an old school Demeter VTBP-201 preamp and a Crown MA2401 or QSC2402 power amp driving one to four Carl Weber Audio 1x12" cabs.

I also owned (and let go in a swap) a prototype '59-style P/J Studio model that Dave had built. It's in another NYBW customers hands now, but I'll post pics of it here for reference. The bass pics are not great, reflections are horrible and make it appear there are marks on the instruments when there are not, but it's the best I got right now.

Last edited by Pat C. : 10-28-2012 at 07:40 AM.
Old 10-28-2012, 10:08 AM

Supporting Member
NYBW

Hi Pat, it's good to see you joining the group. I too can't stand hum so I've ordered my Cremona-6 with David's own hum-cancelling J-pickups. He modeled them after that killer '64 bass he has. Best jazz bass I've ever heard, and you can hear that tone in David's instruments - it was his tonal target for vintage jazz basses.

Jim
Old 10-28-2012, 03:16 PM

Supporting Member
Quote:
Originally Posted by WeThePeople

A few years ago I was watching "Smokey Robinson - Tribute on Ice" on tv and I noticed the sound of the bassist. He was killing in the background. I keep saying "they need to show who's on bass instead of zooming in on all these d**n skaters!" Not too long after the cameraman panned to the band and guess who was on bass...Yep, Gary Foote with his NYBW studio 5. I swear his tone was resonating thru that tv screen. It was a good look for him and Dave Segal.
Should have bought that bass when I had the chance!!
Old 10-28-2012, 03:18 PM

Supporting Member
^^^ although it's having a better life than the one I would have shown it
Old 10-28-2012, 03:20 PM

Supporting Member
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pat C.
Long time NYBW owner here. I've had my Concert 6 since 1998, I was one of Dave's earliest NYBW customers. So I think we should re-assign club member numbers according to length of ownership.

I first heard about NYBW from Georga Panos, who was the first person to commission an NYBW bass. One night I just happened to walk into a bar on the South Shore where George was gigging. I didn't know him from Adam and had never heard of NYBW, but I sure noticed the sound of his bass. We talked a bit between sets and he let me pluck around on his 5 string to get a feel for it. At the time there was probably only a handful of NYBWs in existence. It's amazing that a random choice to get a few beers at that venue that particular night let me to David Segal and the bass of a lifetime.

As I'm sure most of his customers do, I consider Dave a good friend. His products, workmanship and customer service are all superb, but beyond that he really is a great guy and fantasist bassist. He and his wife Carla put a 9-piece band together for my wedding in July 2000 and the music they made is something that our friends and relatives still talk about whenever the subject of good weddings comes up.

My 36" scale sixer has a mahogany body with quilted maple top. Maple neck with a Brazilian rosewood fingerboard. It started with Lindy Fralin single coil pickups but the hum was driving me crazy so he swapped in Bartolinis. No active electronics, just V/V/T. I play it through an old school Demeter VTBP-201 preamp and a Crown MA2401 or QSC2402 power amp driving one to four Carl Weber Audio 1x12" cabs.

I also owned (and let go in a swap) a prototype '59-style P/J Studio model that Dave had built. It's in another NYBW customers hands now, but I'll post pics of it here for reference. The bass pics are not great, reflections are horrible and make it appear there are marks on the instruments when there are not, but it's the best I got right now.
Beautiful instruments, Pat! Looking forward to assigning new numbers asap!
Old 01-01-2013, 12:24 PM

Supporting Member
Updated numbers! (Or singular, just one new)

Date MEMBER NUMBER

Originator seang15 1
Aug. 2nd 2012 Spencer! 2
Aug. 2nd 2012 Slombovia 3
Aug. 2nd 2012 Brian Reihms 4
Aug. 2nd 2012 joshyswing 5
Sept. 24, 2012 wethepeople 6
Sept. 24, 2012 jsbarber 7
Jan. 1, 2013 Pat C. 8

Sorry for the delay, Pat!!

But WELCOME!!
Old 01-31-2013, 01:41 PM

Supporting Member
Cremona-6

Coming soon...

Click image for larger version

Name:	J.Barber CR6-3.jpg
Views:	132
Size:	147.7 KB
ID:	314934
Old 02-02-2013, 03:00 AM

Stompbox designer/builder for 3Leaf Audio & Darkglass Electronics

Supporting Member
Very classy!
Old 02-02-2013, 07:43 AM

Supporting Member
Quote:
Originally Posted by Spencer! View Post
Very classy!
Agreed! A beauty!!
Old 02-02-2013, 08:11 AM
JoshySwing

Endorsing Artist:TecAmp, NYBW Bass, D'Addario Strings, GruvGear

Send a message via AIM to Joshyswing Send a message via Yahoo to Joshyswing Send a message via Skype™ to Joshyswing
Supporting Member
Quote:
Originally Posted by jsbarber View Post
Coming soon...

Attachment 314934
Jim,
You're going to love it! I saw it a couple of weeks ago. The paint job on it is spectacular.
NYWB Club Member #5
Old 02-03-2013, 11:41 AM

Supporting Member
Cremona-6

Thanks for the kind word guys. I am really looking forward to getting my hands on this bass. I went for the sunburst finish because its a modern take on a vintage jazz. It has the long cure nitro which takes a couple of months to cure. I didn't want any top wood because it can affect the tone, more or less depending on the wood used. Wanted to keep the tone woods close to original.

Jim