Go Back   TalkBass Forums > Bass Guitar Forums > Bass Guitar Forums > Basses [BG]
Register Rules/FAQ/CUP Members List Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Supporting Membership
Thank You

Latest Supporting Member
Donate to Upgrade Today

Old 12-10-2012, 10:39 AM

Please help with my new P-bass (pics) tone - add foam mute?

I just got a new AMST P-bass and am looking for a certain sound.

These 2 clips here are fine examples of the type of bass I am looking to add to my tracks, in time. I am definitely new to playing the bass, but am a seasoned producer engineer, and want to strive for this sound.

I have myself an AMST P-Bass (Maple) with LaBella flats on it DId into a UA LA-610. Do you think that is correct for this sound? (based on research, I do haha but want some confirmation)

I am able to get close, but am wondering...should I be using a foam mute? Today I stuffed a small sock under my strings at the bridge and it definitely sounded cool, so I am contemplating getting a bridge cover with mutes on it or just using a piece of foam that is removable.

Any other detail would be appreciated. Thanks!!!
Attached Files
File Type: mp3 bass1.mp3 (1.16 MB, 172 views)
File Type: mp3 bass2.mp3 (1.36 MB, 89 views)

Last edited by Mike Vee : 12-10-2012 at 11:40 AM.
Old 12-10-2012, 10:54 AM

BTW, here she is!

Old 12-10-2012, 11:05 AM
I Dig A Pony

Endorsing Artist Lakland**Bag End**Schroeder

Supporting Member
That is a good choice in a recording bass.
I see why you inquire about foam mutes and you should explore that. However, the bass tracks you posted are not being done that way. These are being muted by hand sharply at the end of the note, but the actual note while it is sounding is not muted. The sharp clean spaces between the notes are what makes the funk.
A foam mute will affect the entire life of the note and the fundamental will not speak as clearly.
Old 12-10-2012, 11:30 AM

I used this real stiff plasticy foam that I got out of a life jacket that gave me an incredible tone. Gave it a punchy thud that didnt kill the sustain so drastically and really gave it a nice tone. Almost like a semi hollowbody sound. Punchy and hollow is the way to describe it.

I replaced it with a piece of sponge but didnt care for the results. Tone darkened too much for my taste.
Old 12-10-2012, 11:34 AM

Thanks.

So people think for sure those 2 examples are not using a mute?
Old 12-10-2012, 12:07 PM
keepin' the beat since the 60's

Send a message via Skype™ to Bassamatic
Supporting Member
I think that you can get that sound with a little EQ and the technique. However, it doesn't hurt to try using a mute and see what happens.

Use different foams at various thickness. I cut mine in a wedge shape so it has more mass on the heavy strings, and less on the light strings. (same height, different width as it goes across the strings)
Old 12-10-2012, 12:09 PM

I use a kitchen sponge (you know, the green/yellow on one side, dark green on the other) cut into about a 1" wide strip and placed right up against the bridge.

If you flip it over, the two different sides give a different type of muting.
Old 12-10-2012, 12:23 PM

does anyone make an "official" mute foam? I only see fender made for Jaguar guitars....
Old 12-10-2012, 12:58 PM
Loud Mouth Know It All Blowhard

Send a message via Skype™ to two fingers
GOLD Supporting Member
That recording has too many overtones to be muted to me. Sounds like good old finger funk. Muting with the right hand. Spoze I could be wrong.
Old 12-10-2012, 01:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike Vee View Post
does anyone make an "official" mute foam? I only see fender made for Jaguar guitars....
I think the Bob Babbitt P had a mute standard - and I know Rickenbackers also have a mute built into the bridge.

Bass Pedal Club #25 | Fuzzrocious #90 (GS+, RK, Helio) | Rickenbacker #480
Old 12-10-2012, 01:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CptRevell View Post
I think the Bob Babbitt P had a mute standard - and I know Rickenbackers also have a mute built into the bridge.
That's funny, every pic I've seen of Bob playing has him with some random piece of foam jammed under there, always looks different and imperfect. If it works, it works I guess.
Old 12-10-2012, 03:07 PM

Bob uses one of these nowadays:

http://www.bassmute.com/bassmute/bm_mainframe.html

Thinking of getting one myself!
Old 12-10-2012, 03:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dannybuoy View Post
Bob uses one of these nowadays:

http://www.bassmute.com/bassmute/bm_mainframe.html

Thinking of getting one myself!
Some say those are awesome - I'm happy with regular foam but I generally palm mute anyway . . . Sadly Bob is no longer with us

Bob Babbitt RIP

Official Barefaced Bass Cab Club #14v, Fender Telecaster Bass Club #5 :D
Old 12-11-2012, 10:29 AM

thanks all

It's funny, even on the Fender package of their "official" mutes the part description says weather stripping haha....so, off to Home Depot i go.

I guess it would just be important to make sure it's just the right thickness or it may push/pitch the strings up and change tuning? but maybe not since the strings are SUPER tight in that area huh?
Old 12-11-2012, 10:42 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by two fingers View Post
That recording has too many overtones to be muted to me. Sounds like good old finger funk. Muting with the right hand. Spoze I could be wrong.
+1 imho. If ever there was a case of sound being the result of plain old fingers/technique, and perhaps broken in strings, this is it.
Old 12-11-2012, 11:54 AM
Supporting Member

Supporting Member
I just cut the end off one of those cheap foam paintbrushes. Less than a dollar, and works like a charm!

Markbass #353, fEARful #37, Fretless #748, NY Bassists #18, Bassists w/ Beards #190, Lone Wolf #89, Alternative Gear #2
Old 12-11-2012, 01:27 PM

Supporting Member
Quote:
Originally Posted by ronaldpdbrandt View Post
I just cut the end off one of those cheap foam paintbrushes. Less than a dollar, and works like a charm!
That's the good stuff! I use pieces of a Dollar Store sponge or one that comes with washable Crayola markerboards. Similar material as the foam brushes. It's the perfect density. And price. You can cut varying thicknesses to get different muting capability.
Old 12-11-2012, 02:34 PM

Supporting Member
Quote:
thanks all

It's funny, even on the Fender package of their "official" mutes the part description says weather stripping haha....so, off to Home Depot i go.

I guess it would just be important to make sure it's just the right thickness or it may push/pitch the strings up and change tuning? but maybe not since the strings are SUPER tight in that area huh?
That's what I use. Two pieces of 3/8'' thick weather stripping stuck sticky side to sticky side, making a 3/4''piece of foam that I can jam under the strings at the bridge. Or I also just stick a 3/8" piece on the underside of a bridge cover like Fender used to do. Either one works good. Mutes it just enough without totally deadening it.

Last edited by C.Linton : 12-11-2012 at 02:37 PM.
Old 12-11-2012, 06:47 PM

Sounds more like left hand muting in the works than foam mutes. It's hard to tell since the notes aren't ringing long enough to hear the decay. Foam mutes with flats sound more like "doink doink", if that makes sense.
Old 12-11-2012, 07:15 PM

Quote:
It's funny, even on the Fender package of their "official" mutes the part description says weather stripping
Is, and always has been, rubber automotive weatherstripping.

Sounds like right-hand muting, which works much better with high-tension flats, IME.