Go Back   TalkBass Forums > Bass Guitar Forums > Bass Guitar Forums > Basses [BG]
Register Rules/FAQ/CUP Members List Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Supporting Membership
Thank You

Latest Supporting Member
Donate to Upgrade Today

Old 12-01-2012, 08:23 AM
Supporting Member

Supporting Member
Question for the Ibanez historians - Super P/Js

Greetings...

I recently acquired an '84 Musician - MC924 w/ the active package. It was the first bass I ever got to play when I was growing up (belonged to a friend), so having one has sentimental value to me (although this one is in the Polar White, and I'm really jonesing for a DS).

Unfortunately, a previous owner installed Bart soaps in it - from what I can tell, there was no routing done, and I'd like to find a set of the Super P / Super J pups to go back in it (the preamp is intact and unmodified, from what I can tell, although the passive / active switch is disconnected currently.) I have the wiring diagram, so if I get the original pups, I'm sure I can put them in without too much trouble.

My question - I know the 'Supers' are no longer made - BUT - my idea is to get another Ibby of some sort that had them (with less collectible value, of course), and transplant those into the bass. Not sure if the Supers had bakelite covers like the original Musician pups did (my friend's was a '79 or '80), but I know it's asking too much to be able to get my hands on those as well.

Can anyone knowledgeable in such matters supply advice? Specifically, I'm looking for models that had them, and any other related 'gotcha' items ('don't do it', with solid reasoning behind it, is valid, too).

Appreciate all responses.

(PS: Mods - if this belongs in the 'pickups and electronics' forum, please feel free to move if warranted, with my apologies - I just noticed that subforum)

Last edited by Reprise : 12-01-2012 at 08:25 AM. Reason: added forum caveat
Old 12-01-2012, 05:49 PM

I think what you are looking for is the Super P5S and Super J5S pickups. I don't think they were bakelite, plastic I think. And black. You can see them here in this '83 flyer:

http://www.ibanez.co.jp/anniversary/...at_id=84&now=2

The only other bass I know of with both of these is the Roadstar II RB750, can be seen at the bottom of this page:

http://www.ibanez.co.jp/anniversary/...t_id=102&now=2

These had large rectangular covers, whereas the Super P4 and J4 looked like typical P and J pickups with mounting screw "ears".

Good luck in your search, and let us know what you come up with.

-Alex
Old 12-01-2012, 06:03 PM
Supporting Member

Supporting Member
Thanks for the lead on the RB750. Wow...one other bass. Well, there goes that idea, huh?

The bakelite covers I was referring to was on the 'Gen 1' Musicians (78-80?) - they looked like large single coils and the covers were brown (to match the DS finish, I guess). By '82, Ibanez had switched over to the Super P5S / J5S config, as you point out (thanks for the name clarification, too!)

Well...not sure how much a Roadstar II RB750 is worth (don't tell me - it's a lawsuit bass, and worth more than the Musician, right?) But I'll see if I can track one down!
Old 12-01-2012, 06:35 PM

It's the only other bass "I" know of. There may be more. I think some of the earlier Roadstars ('82, '83) had the Super P5S along with the Super J6.

I don't know what an RB750 might be worth now, but I might be hesitant to part it out, also. Quite the dilemma!

I'm also very much aware of the brown single coils. Have a couple in my '80 MC924, and now a couple more in my new-to-me '80 MC980. (Never occurred to me that they were bakelite covers, though. Still not sure they are.)

I recently made an effort to procure a parted out Musician (deal fell through), a 1982 or later so also had the large neck p/u rout and thinner bridge p/u rout. I was just going to go with DiMarzio P and J pickups. The nice thing about the Musician pickups is the covers are plain, rectangular boxes. Perhaps fashioning covers from scratch might be doable. (The 30th anniversary MC924 reissue has wooden covers.)

-Alex
Old 12-02-2012, 11:46 AM

Some people have all the luck, eh? Looks like just what you're looking for:

Anyone seen one of these before?

-Alex