Go Back   TalkBass Forums > Bass Guitar Forums > Bass Guitar Forums > Basses [BG]
Register Rules/FAQ/CUP Members List Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Supporting Membership
Thank You

Latest Supporting Member
Donate to Upgrade Today

Old 01-12-2014, 08:48 AM

Supporting Member
Reading P-bass serial number

Hi Gang,

I am sorry is there is a sticky or another thread that answers this question, but I can't find it.

I have a P-bass of unknown origin. A photo of the headstock is attached. I don't know whether to read the serial number with or without the "E". I tried looking up both. Without it, it is was built in the 70s. With it, it was built in the 80s.

I'd really like to get the value of it because a friend wants to sell it to me.

http://www.flickr.com/photos/114206874@N02/11908844184/
Old 01-12-2014, 08:51 AM

Supporting Member
Use the E. E Series are great 80s instruments. It might be against forum rules to ask for an instruments value in this manner but I am not sure. Do some googling.
Old 01-12-2014, 08:58 AM

Supporting Member
The serial number info is all I wanted. Thanks!!!
Old 01-12-2014, 09:01 AM
User

GOLD Supporting Member
Looks like a 1983ish Fender, one of the last made at the Fullerton, CA factory. They are generally considered to be quality instruments, but can to be heavy and are perhaps ssomewhat overpriced on the used market.
https://www.facebook.com/home.php?re...nMusic?fref=ts
Old 01-12-2014, 09:18 AM
Functionless Art is Merely Tolerated Vandalism

Supporting Member
That is no ordinary Fender Precision, that is a Precision Elite. Fender made them from 82-84 I believe, there is a great site on the net from another TBer you should check out (see some of the crazy finishes they offered.) The pickup is active, the tone knob (TBX tone control) works like a normal tone knob when you roll it off and increases the highs and lows when you crank it up. This things were Fender's top offering back in their day. I had one and it was a pretty solid player, I ended up selling it to a musician touring through town.

The bass appears to have the fine point tuning bridge, it should have a tilt-able neck, the neck plate has a little hole in, just loosen the neck a little and there is a set screw that works like a shim, ensure that works as well. Do not forget to check the truss! Those knobs are proper, and their should be strap locks as well.

I cannot offer you a price quote unless you are a supporting member but you know what your looking at so you can figure it out.

! Rocking against all gods !
Old 01-12-2014, 10:03 AM
User

GOLD Supporting Member
I didn't notice the body picture. DiabolusInMusic is right. That is a Precision Elite I, in the fairly rare trans-green finish.
https://www.facebook.com/home.php?re...nMusic?fref=ts
Old 01-13-2014, 11:50 AM

Supporting Member
Quote: I cannot offer you a price quote unless you are a supporting member but you know what your looking at so you can figure it out.[/quote]

Ouch. Called out on not being a supporting member. And rightfully so. Fair enough; I lurk plenty. I just paid my $$.
Old 01-13-2014, 11:56 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JimB52 View Post
I didn't notice the body picture. DiabolusInMusic is right. That is a Precision Elite I, in the fairly rare trans-green finish.
Technically that 'rare trans-green' is a 'rare jewel tone Emerald Green' finish. They did Sapphire, Ruby, Emerald.

For Sale : Bergantino HT115 with Cover: $500.00 + exact shipping cost.SOLD!
Old 01-13-2014, 03:43 PM

Director, Customer Service, Fender

Supporting Member
Quote:
Originally Posted by DiabolusInMusic View Post
That is no ordinary Fender Precision, that is a Precision Elite. Fender made them from 82-84 I believe, there is a great site on the net from another TBer you should check out (see some of the crazy finishes they offered.) The pickup is active, the tone knob (TBX tone control) works like a normal tone knob when you roll it off and increases the highs and lows when you crank it up. This things were Fender's top offering back in their day. I had one and it was a pretty solid player, I ended up selling it to a musician touring through town.

The bass appears to have the fine point tuning bridge, it should have a tilt-able neck, the neck plate has a little hole in, just loosen the neck a little and there is a set screw that works like a shim, ensure that works as well. Do not forget to check the truss! Those knobs are proper, and their should be strap locks as well.

I cannot offer you a price quote unless you are a supporting member but you know what your looking at so you can figure it out.
+1
Old 01-13-2014, 03:57 PM

I'm not sure what one of these is going for, right now, but if the price is right, jump on it quick. Those Fullerton Fenders are really NICE! Maybe not quite vintage, yet, but they are headed that way. I wish I had friends like yours.