Go Back   TalkBass Forums > Bass Guitar Forums > Bass Guitar Forums > Basses [BG]
Register Rules/FAQ/CUP Members List Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Supporting Membership
Thank You

Latest Supporting Member
Donate to Upgrade Today

Old 12-03-2012, 06:48 PM

Supporting Member
Quote:
Originally Posted by electracoyote View Post
You got all that from looking at one internet picture? Wow.
...and reading the rest of the thread. I received a Ric last year that looked exactly like that and it was due to a warped neck. A tech I know who has set up a lot of Rics is the one who edumacated me on how to spot a bad neck on a Ric, something he says is more common than most people think. If I'm wrong, I'm wrong. But, the description and reaction of the guy who bought it was a big deja vu.
Birdsong Club #51, Rickenbacker Club #461
Lefties Who Play Righty Club #21, Bassists Who Drive Manual Club #15
Old 12-03-2012, 06:54 PM
Supporting Member

Supporting Member
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pbass4003 View Post
If that's the case, then something is still amiss because that nut is anything but flat! It is partially sitting in some kind of cavity.
Here is what a Rick looks like the the nut removed.

Click image for larger version

Name:	tr05.jpg
Views:	196
Size:	29.5 KB
ID:	303616

There is no slot.

Don't mistake the plastic truss rod cover for wood.

Last edited by Ric5 : 12-03-2012 at 06:56 PM.
Old 12-03-2012, 07:18 PM

I know the cover isn't wood, LOL! There is a recess/groove IN the wood. I wish I took a better pic, but you can kind of see it in the first pic. Nonetheless, it wasn't clean work, and according to some on this thread, the neck may have been bad too. She's going back for another, and I saved $$, so all is well in my book
P Bass #840 - Ampeg PF #287 - Flatwound #145
Old 12-03-2012, 08:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by greggster59 View Post
If I'm wrong, I'm wrong. But, the description and reaction of the guy who bought it was a big deja vu.
Well, I guess that's the point. I can't tell if you're right or wrong, and I looked at the same picture and read the same posts you did.

Just wondering why you seemed so sure.

WANTED: Vintage Hagstrom Concord in RED
Old 12-03-2012, 08:35 PM
Don't just TalkBass - PlayBass!

Supporting Member
Quote:
Originally Posted by Caca de Kick View Post
Okay, while string slots in the nut are one thing, I think everyone is missing the fact the the nut cavity in the wood is cut to narrow, and the nut is too big to fit said cavity.
That is unacceptable.
I have not read this thread beyond your post, yet, so this may have been explained, but let's get something straight here. RIC and LOTS of other stringed instrument makers do not do things according to Fender; there is no nut "slot" for the nut to sit in, it is attached to the flat surface of the headstock up against the fingerboard by design.

What you think is a cavity is the space between the end of the fingerboard and the TRC.
"G.O.F." #4! um, I mean
For sale:

-------------
Old 12-03-2012, 08:41 PM

Supporting Member
The letdown is hard when you have such high expectations. I don't have a true sense of or statistics on the number of QC slips at Ric compared to Fender (just to pick another American bass manufacturer). I've owned one Ric and it was not perfect either. It has crossed my mind to wonder how much the mystique around Rics built up in the minds of bass players and the fact that there is only one place to get a 'real one' has allowed Rickenbacker to 'rest on their laurels' to some degree. Just a couple of thoughts...

OP - I do hope the next instrument they send you is more in line with your expectations!

Praise tools crafted by - Dingwall Designer Guitars, Michael Arnopol Sound, and Reeves Amplification
Old 12-03-2012, 10:12 PM
Supporting Member

Supporting Member
Quote:
I know the cover isn't wood, LOL! There is a recess/groove IN the wood. I wish I took a better pic, but you can kind of see it in the first pic. Nonetheless, it wasn't clean work, and according to some on this thread, the neck may have been bad too. She's going back for another, and I saved $$, so all is well in my book
I have owned dozens of Ricks from the 60s to the present. They did not put nut slots in any of them. Here is a 2012 4003 that was just in my shop. I converted from a 4 to a 5 string. I replaced the nut. If your bass has a nut slot then it has been modified after it left the factory.

Click image for larger version

Name:	425 008.jpg
Views:	155
Size:	158.0 KB
ID:	303643

Last edited by Ric5 : 12-03-2012 at 10:20 PM.
Old 12-03-2012, 10:48 PM

Supporting Member
Quote:
I know about Pick of the Rics, but they.....charge for shipping.
POTR us a small independent dealer, one that provides the absolute best in customer service, support, and they are all around the most hard working and extremely generous folks you will ever find in this business. Their prices are extremely competitive and they are not a mega-size big box affiliated company so they can not afford to offer free shipping. If you have ever visited with them or gone to one of their fantastic gatherings over the years you would know better than to chastise them for charging shipping fees.

Rock on, Chris & Shelby!!!
"G.O.F." #4! um, I mean
For sale:

-------------

Last edited by Jeff Scott : 12-03-2012 at 10:51 PM.
Old 12-04-2012, 01:34 AM

Supporting Member
Quote:
Perhaps I got too caught up with the setup issues. Like I said, I will be getting a proper set up regardless (she'll be getting strung with TI flats). However, I still feel like the sloppy nut and binding is a good enough reason to send it back considering the free return shipping. Plus, I live in NY and it's only shipping from Jersey. Thanks for the Wildwood referral, A-S-T... they quoted me $1499 shipped, that beat Zzounds by $100. If Zzounds can't beat that price (I paid $1600), I am getting a refund and taking the Wildwood suggestion.

THANKS!!!!!!

edit: I know about Pick of the Rics, but they don't have any MG's in stock, they also charge for shipping.
No problem hope that saves you some money either with wildwood or zzsounds.
Old 12-04-2012, 04:21 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeff Scott

POTR us a small independent dealer, one that provides the absolute best in customer service, support, and they are all around the most hard working and extremely generous folks you will ever find in this business. Their prices are extremely competitive and they are not a mega-size big box affiliated company so they can not afford to offer free shipping. If you have ever visited with them or gone to one of their fantastic gatherings over the years you would know better than to chastise them for charging shipping fees.

Rock on, Chris & Shelby!!!
Whoa. Wasn't chastising anyone, just an economic factor about shipping. They sound fabulous and I'm sure we could have worked something out regarding $$$. Point remains... no right-hand MGs in stock, otherwise I'd try them out.
Old 12-04-2012, 04:53 AM

GOLD Supporting Member
I bought a 4003 from Musician's Friend about 4 years ago and it came with a dreadful set up - easy enought to fix, but a bit of a spoiler to not be able to love the instrument right out of the box. Since then, I've bought 2 from Wildwood and was really pleased. The prices are better and they do an inspection and set up as part of the service. Much better...
Old 12-04-2012, 05:24 AM

I hope Rickenbacker is reading Talk Bass.
This could ruin their business.
Totally unacceptable for $2000.
Old 12-04-2012, 05:28 AM
Supporting Member

Supporting Member
They read talkbass. They consider Talkbass a Rickenbacker unfriendly site, and no ... what goes on here does not ever ruin their business. They sell their stuff faster than they can make it.
Old 12-04-2012, 07:39 AM

Theads like this put me off ever buying a Ric. It does damage their business.
Old 12-04-2012, 09:00 AM

Supporting Member
Nuts are cut extra high on almost all basses I play, this is because it's better for it to be too high than too low.
Old 12-04-2012, 09:13 AM

Supporting Member
Quote:
Whoa. Wasn't chastising anyone, just an economic factor about shipping.
My point exactly, POTR is a small mom & pop shop vs. the big box MF and zZS, etc.

Quote:
They sound fabulous and I'm sure we could have worked something out regarding $$$. Point remains... no right-hand MGs in stock, otherwise I'd try them out.
I suppose there are those for whom it comes down to instant gratification, well that's fine. When I was looking for a new acoustic guitar this year I spent about 3 months looking and trying different brands/models and seeing what was out there in e-land, too, before I bought one. Patience very much was rewarded as I found an amazing guitar that has totally cured me of any GAS for an acoustic guitar.

As for a Rick bass, I can wait to get what I want from whom I want and in the end get a better deal, shipping included, with a bit of patience.
"G.O.F." #4! um, I mean
For sale:

-------------
Old 12-04-2012, 10:45 AM

I've owned a number of Rics - and maybe another - but I've found their QC to be often totally unacceptable as well, for bass costing so much. Love them to bits, but they do drive me mad!

More frustrating is that every year I read posts on various sites telling me that the current year (20...etc.) is 'the best basses they're ever making'!
Old 12-04-2012, 11:01 AM

FireMelon

Supporting Member
Quote:
Originally Posted by Crazyeelboy View Post
I bought a 4003 from Musician's Friend about 4 years ago and it came with a dreadful set up - easy enought to fix, but a bit of a spoiler to not be able to love the instrument right out of the box. Since then, I've bought 2 from Wildwood and was really pleased. The prices are better and they do an inspection and set up as part of the service. Much better...
I bought my 4003 from MF too--had to exchange it twice before I got a good one. The first had a cracked neck inlay. The second had a defective neck pickup. The third was perfect. MF paid for the shipping each time, but I think next time I buy a Ric I'm going to try Wildwood or POTR.
Fender pre-CBS Club #1
Old 12-04-2012, 11:02 AM

I want to publicly apologize to Jeff Scott for not knowing about POTR when I started saving for this bass over a year ago. Had I known that they were the only moral and just place to buy a Ric, I would have put a deposit down last year (or even 2 years ago), then I would have walked to Jersey with a cross on my back to receive the bass is person. That way, the whole TB community could know exactly how much I care for small business. I am deeply sorry if my missteps offended anyone. I should not have shopped at an evil reseller such as Zzounds, and how dare I expect to receive my instrument in top shape from them. Please forgive me as I was swayed by the mortal temptations of free shipping, lowest-price guarantees... and not wanting to wait an additional 1-24 months after already waiting for over a year. If ever I am righteous enough to own a second Ric, I will be sure to shop only at POTR, or Lord take my fretting hand.

Fin.

Last edited by Pbass4003 : 12-04-2012 at 12:54 PM. Reason: Geographical mixup.
Old 12-04-2012, 12:27 PM

why would you walk all the way to Colorado when PotR is located in New Jersey?