Originally Posted by bigscore1000
I really want to pick up 1 of these but i have a few questions regarding the 34 and 34CA models.
1. Is the 3 band Ray 34 also have the "slab body" design like the 34CA?
2. Is the Norstrand MM 4.2 pickup a "direct" replacement for either bass?
3. 2 band vs 3 band - Does either have the more "traditional" Stingray sound?
1. No the 3 band has the body contours. Also the nut is wider more of P width than a J width.
2. Looks like it is. I have a Ray35 and am quite happy with the electronics I didn't feel the need to change anything. Only mod I made to mine was strap locks.
3. The 2 band in the 34CA is considered to be the more "traditional" Stingray preamp because the 2 way and 3 way are voiced different. I'd suggest finding a store that has both and compare them back to back.
Both are great basses you can't lose either way!