Go Back   TalkBass Forums > Bass Guitar Forums > Bass Guitar Forums > Basses [BG]
Register Rules/FAQ/CUP Members List Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Supporting Membership
Thank You

Latest Supporting Member
Donate to Upgrade Today

Closed Thread

Old 12-15-2012, 08:55 AM

Supporting Member
Awesome picks!

You guys inspired me to try some different picks. I have always just used Fender mediums or something similar as I mostly play with my fingers. But Over the past 15 years or more I've gained a huge amount of respect for pick players and have tried to work on getting better at it myself.. It really isn't as easy as it looks to pull off consistent picking on electric bass. Your angle of attack, the gauge of your pick, the force you put behind the upstroke and/or downstroke, skipping strings to grab octaves gets trickier... it's just a whole different world when you stop to think about it. That and we're trying to strum some giant-ass XXXXXXL sized strings!

So I started trying out various ones while I was at SEGR chekcing on the "rescue" SSD, and I think I found the best pick I've ever tried. I wanted to see if anyone here has used them and what your overall impression is on consistency, life-=span, tone, feel, etc.

They are Pickboy Edge CarbonNylon in .75mm gauge, which is actually thinner I think than Fender mediums (please correct me if I'm wrong) but these feel like they're .85-.88mm The logos are worked into a textured grip that's on both sides of the pick's bottom. The actual pick syrface... the top part... I've been putting it through some Sevendust and KsE and it hasn't even started to show those telltale "hangnails" that nylon picks usually develop when used hard on a bass.

Anyway, tell me if you guys gave tried them and what you think! I honestly don't want to even try anything else - I found my picks
Spector Club #326

Last edited by smadder : 12-15-2012 at 09:09 AM.
Old 12-15-2012, 09:06 AM

Supporting Member
Gotta love it when the sound guy says " So wait, your running a Spector through an ampeg tonight? F***ing awesome!" Told him yep and I have a radial JDI for foh. Then he says " Oh! This is gonna be sick!"

Sound check consisted of the first 2 measures of the intro to "Would?". He's like "Man that's so F***ing awesome! , ok . stage left guitar ..." Lol

The Spector totally killed last night! . Bliss tons and tons of compliments .

God I love these basses!
Spector Club Member #242
Spector basses (Euro DWB, NS2A, Rebop 4DLX, NS2004)
Ampeg SVT-IIP,Samson 1200SX, SVT-810E
Cover The Sun
http://www.reverbnation.com/coverthesun
Old 12-15-2012, 09:08 AM
Living the Dream!

Send a message via Skype™ to iceboxbass
GOLD Supporting Member
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fat240 View Post
Started working on the Stringed Conspiracy album art. He's doing a decent job on my ugly mug. Looking forward to seeing the completed picture.

One thing for sure you can't make any basses on Easter Island.
Not bad!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Baird6869 View Post
The only time I won't gig my MTD Forte 5 or MTD 535 is if it is an outdoor gig and it might rain. Small Legion gigs to large festivals.... I always bring my best gear.

I just ordered a very expensive (to me) Fodera.. and I will gig that along with my Spector and MTD. Basses should be played IMO.

The only bass I have that I don't gig is a 1983 Jazz that belonged to and is signed by Jason Newstead of Metallica. The reason I don't gig it is not because it is worth a lot of $$$ (it is), it is because it sounds like crap. It is not a nice sounding or playing bass at all. Plus it looks really cool hanging on my wall.
+1, right on!!!
Quote:
Originally Posted by LowNotes View Post
Can I join in this club too ?

I bought this on the basis that it was a Legend 6.

I reckon it's actually a Q6 pro.

No matter what it plugs into, it has a mighty sound.

Very beautiful 6r! I've never seen one let alone knew there was one made?
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zitch View Post
Thanks guys, thats what i figured. Do you think sticking with the EMG DC's is the route to go?
Quote:
Originally Posted by cjmodulus View Post
The active DCs might be a bit more hifi than what you said you were going for- but I'd say start with a pre change then swap pickups to taste. You could try the 40Js if its more of a jazz ish sound you're wanting. All IMo YMMV of course.
^^Wait until you change out the Pre and maybe try boosting it to 18V...if its still not the sound that you're looking for, maybe try EMG 40P5/40J. I loved them on the Forte 5! They're very versatile! You'll get clear tones or gritty tones.
Quote:
Originally Posted by JPSBassist View Post
Yeah... I'd be all over this if it was a 4.
Stuart only made 18 4-string SSD SD-4 models.
They are SUPER rare.

Ed Roman had one for a while on his website. Which I suppose his daughter has taken over the business since he passed away last year.

But it is no longer listed. The only Spector that is listed there anymore is one I hope they're stuck with for all of eternity because it's an abomination... And it IS NOT NS-2 #11. Which doesn't exist anyway... LOL.

It's an early model NS-1 that's been modified and is being passed off as an early NS-2. I feature this bass on the Official Spector Company Website here: http://www.spectorguitars.com/models/brooklyn.html under the featured model spotlight to the left under the navigation bar.

Anyway... the SSD SD-4 is a rare bass and anyone who gets one is very lucky.

The tobacco burst one on this page http://www.spectorguitars.com/models/ssd.html belongs to Todd Cooke. The natural one at the top is PJ Rubal's and the red one in the middle... I don't know who has it. This was taken from a high-resolution scan of the first SSD brochure Stuart created back in the mid-1990's.

These are some really cool basses. And their backs are more bowl-like, scooped out than curved like the NS. I really dig them.
I just love that green of the NS-4 on the bottom of the 3 together! I've not seen that shade of green before! Very deep looking! Maybe it's a green/black?
Spector Bassist club #173, Ibanez Club #1149
Old 12-15-2012, 09:10 AM

Supporting Member
Quote:
Originally Posted by smadder
You guys inspired me to try some different picks. I have always just used Fender mediums or something similar as I mostly play with my fingers. But Over teh past 15 years I;ve gained a huee amount of respect for pick players and have tried to work on getting better at it myself.. It really isn;t as easy as it looks to pull off consistent picking on electric bass. Your angle of attack, the gauge of your pick, the force you put behind teh upstroke and/or downstroke, skipping strings to grab octaves gets trickier... it;s jsut a whoel differentw orld when you stop to think about it. That and we're trying to strum some giant-ass XXXXXXlL sized strings!

So I started trying out various ones while I was at SEGR chekcing on the "rescue" SSD, and I think I found the best pick I've ever tried. I wanted tio see if anyone here has used them and what your overall i,mpression is on consistency, life-=span, tone, feel, etc.

They are Pickboy Edge CarbonNylon in .75mm gauge, which is actually thinner I think than Fender mediums (please correct me if I'm wrong) but these feel like they're .85-.88mm The logos are worked into a textured grip that's on both sides of the pick's bottom and the top part... I've been putting it through some Sevendust and KsE and it hasn't even started to show those telltale "hangnails" that nylon picks usually develop when used hard on a bass.

Anyway, tell me if you guys gave tried them and what you think! I honestly don't want to even try anything else - I found my picks
Way cool! I'm stuck on the Orange dunlop tortex myself. Been using them for decades lol. I use the corners though. I use a pick 99% of the time but don't want all the pick noise . The light picks give me the best compromise between pick noise and attack for my style.
Spector Club Member #242
Cover The Sun
Old 12-15-2012, 09:12 AM
Living the Dream!

GOLD Supporting Member
Quote:
I had a couple of large-gauge needles stuck into my spine yesterday morning...

And they gave me the same medication that Michael Jackson's in-house doc, Conrad Murray, was giving him for sleep.

Which is sad because that stuff is nothing to play with.

Other than talking to Sam last night for a while and getting a shower (after taping a plastic "window" over my incisions) today... I've pretty much been wasted and don't really recall much of the last 30 or so hours. LOL.

I'm sick of laying down so I'm doing some lightweight surfing and getting caught up here.

Thanks again to everybody who had something nice to say and wished me a safe and speedy recovery.

I do this again next week and then start physical therapy after the New Year. So one day at a time. You know?
Happy to hear your surgery went well Patrick! Have a speedy PT and recovery bro!
Old 12-15-2012, 09:13 AM

Supporting Member
Quote:
Originally Posted by grendle View Post
Gotta love it when the sound guy says " So wait, your running a Spector through an ampeg tonight? F***ing awesome!" Told him yep and I have a radial JDI for foh. Then he says " Oh! This is gonna be sick!"

Sound check consisted of the first 2 measures of the intro to "Would?". He's like "Man that's so F***ing awesome! , ok . stage left guitar ..." Lol

God I love these basses!

That sounds like pure bliss Grendle That's the best feeling in the entire world,
Spector Club #326
Old 12-15-2012, 09:19 AM

Supporting Member
Quote:
Originally Posted by smadder

That sounds like pure bliss Grendle That's the best feeling in the entire world,
Amen to that! My Spector in my hands, the ampeg behind me, all is right with the world . Nothing like that feeling!
Spector Club Member #242
Cover The Sun
Old 12-15-2012, 09:20 AM

Endorsing Artist: Spector Basses

Send a message via Skype™ to worshiprocker
Supporting Member
Quote:
Originally Posted by smadder View Post
You guys inspired me to try some different picks. I have always just used Fender mediums or something similar as I mostly play with my fingers. But Over the past 15 years or more I've gained a huge amount of respect for pick players and have tried to work on getting better at it myself.. It really isn't as easy as it looks to pull off consistent picking on electric bass. Your angle of attack, the gauge of your pick, the force you put behind the upstroke and/or downstroke, skipping strings to grab octaves gets trickier... it's just a whole different world when you stop to think about it. That and we're trying to strum some giant-ass XXXXXXL sized strings!

So I started trying out various ones while I was at SEGR chekcing on the "rescue" SSD, and I think I found the best pick I've ever tried. I wanted to see if anyone here has used them and what your overall impression is on consistency, life-=span, tone, feel, etc.

They are Pickboy Edge CarbonNylon in .75mm gauge, which is actually thinner I think than Fender mediums (please correct me if I'm wrong) but these feel like they're .85-.88mm The logos are worked into a textured grip that's on both sides of the pick's bottom. The actual pick syrface... the top part... I've been putting it through some Sevendust and KsE and it hasn't even started to show those telltale "hangnails" that nylon picks usually develop when used hard on a bass.

Dunlop Max-Grip 1.14 nylon picks have been what I settled on.. Firm enough to really get that grindy attack on the higher strings and flexible enough to not fight too much with the string.
Quote:

God I love these basses!
that's what I like to hear!!!
SPECTOR® Club #246 - NS-4CRFM Jade / NS 2000/5 Black / NS-2JA-R Caddy Green
Sansamp RBI > Ampeg SVT 6 Pro > Fender 610 PRO
Old 12-15-2012, 09:38 AM

Supporting Member
Quote:

God I love these basses!
That's another thing I'd like to try out one day: an active and passive DI and also their Bassbone for both a DI and switching between two basses. Can't put funds towards it, but that and the Source Audio Bass Envelope Filter. the big one with the LFO built in. From what I hear, you can get everything from a Mu-Tron to a Moog Low Pass Filter pedal.

That sounds like a ton of fun to play with as well, but again... no funds so the toys have to just wait.
Spector Club #326

Last edited by smadder : 12-15-2012 at 09:46 AM.
Old 12-15-2012, 09:41 AM

Supporting Member
Quote:

God I love these basses!
Nice!!!...Long live Lenny!!!!...and his Spectors, hehe..
Old 12-15-2012, 10:03 AM

Jim Dunlop USA, King Kong Cases, Golden Eagle Energy Drink

Supporting Member
Quote:
Originally Posted by JPSBassist

OK. This is a fun one.

The "Haz" as it is called... it was designed by Stuart Spector in 1979. He built the first one, the second one and the third one himself. And he decided, "this is nuts." So he took the blueprints to a friend, Mr. Henry Zajac. Henry founded, owns and runs "Haz Laboratories". And his degree is in engineering with a focus in sound tech. Henry would also work with Ned Steinberger in developing the proprietary circuit for Ned's famous headless bass.

Just so that you all know, "Haz" is a simple and quick abbreviation of the two circuits made for Spector by HazLabs... but this abbreviation is not a fond one at Spector. Because you're talking about Stuart's circuit. Not one that Henry designed.

So the proper names are the Spector USA 18v and the Spector USA 9v Tone Circuits.

The design of the original 1979 circuit has changed over the years. Mainly, a few of the original components have changed by necessity as the contractor/company that made them either folded/closed or were purchased by another company and that part was changed or discontinued.

The original on-board pots that were specifically designed to fit onto a non-conductive substrate material... or the board design that Stuart developed for the Spector USA 9v Circuit.... these have changed a couple of times.

The 18v circuit is a different design, using JFET tech. It's a newer design meant to eliminate some of the inherent complications of the older, solid state 9v system. So for this little dive into the Spector circuit history ocean we're only talking about the original 9v USA design, the Kramer copy, made in both Japan (for a short period) and Korea. And the Mighty Mite (which many do not know, are the left over Spector copies from the Samick period of NS-2A construction during the last year of Kramer's operations).

OK, so here you go:

1979-1986: First Gen or Brooklyn Spector USA 9v Tone Circuit.
Used a dedicated pot system and 1/4 inch plug insert that was prone to burn-out. Also, a common problem was the battery connector would/could be broken off the board if you were not careful in how you inserted/detached the battery.

The growl and grit of the USA circuit comes from banks or rows of OpAmps which are used to handle the over-saturation issue inherent in the OpAmp design. This creates an overdriven/distortion quality to the circuit without the use of an overdrive or distortion circuit. The outcome of handling the over-sat weakness most circuits of this time suffer from produces an articulate yet growly/aggressive/gritty tone that cuts through the mix.

1986-1991: 2nd Gen or Kramer-Era Spector USA 9v Tone Circuit. Battery clips were included on the board. A new vendor for the pots was chosen. A new jack design was included.

NS-2A 9v PASSIVE CIRCUIT DESIGN: Originally built in Japan. Eventually moved to a Korean Contractor. NOT designed to power active pickups. Totally different pot system 500K pots used. Different non-conductive substrate design (BT-Epoxy VS FR-4). Staged OpAmp system used for USA circuit is reduced here. Fewer OpAmps needed in the array. The signal output from passive pickups doesn't require them.

MIGHTY MITE MM114: When Kramer was nearing the end of its life and needed to juggle vendors to keep production moving forward, they stopped using their Korean contractor for the building of the NS-2A and moved to Samick. This new circuit design was meant to replace the original design of the NS-2A circuit. When Kramer folded, a number... my sources say a couple of hundred... of the MM114 circuits were still around. Although loosely based on Stuart's design, the end result was not the same as what most Spector owners would expect. These were weaker, less growly circuits.

To the best of my knowledge, the Mighty Mite MM114 has been sold out and no more are available. Someone might want to try and order one. I've heard they're all gone. This is NOT anything close to the Spector USA 9v Circuit.

The Modern Spector 9v USA Tone Circuit - 3rd Gen and 4th Gen: There was a shortage of USA circuits a few years ago and Stuart was unsure if they were going to continue to be able to make them. The company that made the special pots that went onto the circuit board design of the Spector Circuit went out of business (or stopped making them... I'm not clear on which is the case... they just stopped being available).

No new USA Circuits could be built until a replacement pot was found. Stuart and Henry finally found a company that made a pot that would work with some modifications. The circuit was redesigned for these pots and production started again.

The last change (4th Gen) came about when EMG developed their new quick connect pickup system. Henry redesigned the posts on the circuit to quickly/easily fit stripped wires without the need to solder them.

------------------------------------------------

The changes over the years have been small, but necessary. And yes, these changes have created what equates to a tonal difference between the 1st Gen and 4th Gen boards.

In essence the design remains unchanged. The pots are different. There are small changes to some of the other components and different manufacturers have been used for the source of the OpAmp modules through the years as some makers changed their design or stopped offering certain configurations.

The most desired (for purists) tone for the NS-2 comes from the Brooklyn models and the original Brooklyn Circuits.

The most commonly heard, most commonly sought after tone (Mike Starr, Gene Simmons (unmasked), Eddie Jackson, Doug Wimbish, Ian Hill, etc...) is the Kramer-Era models.

The most stable and best built circuits are the ones being produced today.

It has been my experience in comparing the many different historical and modern USA Spectors that I've been very fortunate enough to have access to, that the Kramer Circuits are very strong regarding output.

I have GuitarRig5Pro set up on my computer with a set of Pre-Sets I've developed for things like Chorus, Distortion, etc... And the input levels/output levels, EQ, etc... everything is set for one of my basses. Example: Studio Chorus-The Black Pearl.

When I use these presets with the basses they are intended for, they don't clip, they don't blow levels out. etc...

Kramer Era NS-2 #1579, The Lava Bass... that bass's output was 30% hotter than the Black Pearl's. I could plug it into ANY of the presets for the Pearl and it would clip, blow out, etc...

That bass has a typical Kramer Era Spector USA 9v Circuit.

It's just that some things have changed over the years.

Today's circuits are more balanced, more tame. They have growl and depending on the application (for instance The Blue Dream's dual J pups have bark and bite that the Pearl just doesn't have) they can sound very different.

That's my whole Circuit history. A quick rundown. I didn't review my notes. This is top of my head.

I may have some of the facts wrong... I might have mixed up the substrate materials... anyway... it doesn't matter. The Korean circuits use a different substrate than the USA. LOL. It's all the same. I'm not sure that really equates to anything regarding tone.
Thanks for this post. It was extremely educational Patrick! :-)
Old 12-15-2012, 10:30 AM

Send a message via Yahoo to Worldeeeter
Supporting Member
Quote:
Originally Posted by bunkaroo View Post
Got ya by 2 years.

I do recall Burn My Eyes was being described as the heaviest thing since Slayer or something along those lines. Roadrunner hype machine was in full force on that record. I liked it a lot, but to me, Sepultura's Arise was the first record to make me think "Slayer who?".
+1!!!
I heard Arise my Junior year in college; it blew me away. Shortly after that, Soul of a New Machine by Fear Factory made my head explode.
Then, I saw Fear Factory open for Sepultura live; I could have died happy right after that show.
Old 12-15-2012, 10:38 AM

Send a message via Yahoo to Worldeeeter
Supporting Member
Quote:
Originally Posted by bunkaroo View Post
I deduct points - only thing uglier than a Ric is two of them put together.

Sorry if I offend anyone with that - I just really dislike them.
HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA!!!!
I cracked up when I read this! I hate 'em too.
Old 12-15-2012, 11:36 AM

Supporting Member
Quote:
Originally Posted by JeffplaysBass

Nice!!!...Long live Lenny!!!!...and his Spectors, hehe..
And thank you once again my friend !
Spector Club Member #242
Cover The Sun
Old 12-15-2012, 11:50 AM

Supporting Member
I would be curious to ask why the us 9v was designed the way it was. It's a different preamp than anything else out there (then again so is the bass lol ). I'm curious if he designed it with tube ampeg heads in mind ? They were definatly the std back line of the day, and the hot signal works magic with the tube pre. The 9v is also far hotter than anything of the day and is still hotter than most pre's out today. Back then Duncan was the electronics wizard and the focus was on coil splitting and phase changing to get all the different tones available on the bass.
We won't even talk about the beast that is the tone pump.

I'm just curious about what goes on in the head of someone like Stuart. To have a vision of a sound in your head , and figure out how to build an instrument and design a circuit to produce that tone must have bordered on maddening. God love him though because he did it! A world without the Spector tone would just suck.
Spector Club Member #242
Cover The Sun

Last edited by grendle : 12-15-2012 at 11:53 AM.
Old 12-15-2012, 12:13 PM
Living the Dream!

GOLD Supporting Member
Quote:
I've been really fortunate... LOL. I've dinged my NS-4. But that Water Cured Redwood is VERY SOFT.

I've yet to ding the Black Pearl or the Blue Dream other than both (yep. did this with the Blue Dream a few minutes ago) have had their tuning pegs knocked against my desk, or headboard of my bed... I always have to be careful and think about where their headstocks are in relation to holding them in my lap.
Yes, I had to learn that also about being fully engaged when moving around one of my Bases, so not to ding them.
Old 12-15-2012, 12:20 PM
Living the Dream!

GOLD Supporting Member
Quote:
Omer looked like he needed a bass in those photos.

I started with a Forte. But you know... he's on an island in the summer (since that is south of the equator... it's summer there).

So I decided to hook him up with something more festive.

Nice job Patrick! Fooled me! Lol
Old 12-15-2012, 01:42 PM

Quote:
Omer looked like he needed a bass in those photos.

I started with a Forte. But you know... he's on an island in the summer (since that is south of the equator... it's summer there).

So I decided to hook him up with something more festive.

Some shadow on his forearm from the neck & you'd never know!!
SPECTOR® Club #369 | Fender Owner's Club #13
Old 12-15-2012, 02:51 PM

Supporting Member
Finally got a chance to setup and give it a cleaning and fresh strings, nice deep tones but you can tell its a spector, couple of not so great pics.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0209 (478x640).jpg
Views:	30
Size:	172.3 KB
ID:	305708  Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0212.JPG
Views:	25
Size:	56.3 KB
ID:	305709  
Hartke Club Member # 234 Spector Club Member#325 Ampeg Club #1013
Old 12-15-2012, 03:19 PM

Supporting Member
Cool bass! I don't of anyone else in the club that has one. I've always been curious about those.
Quote:
Originally Posted by vin088xk1 View Post
Finally got a chance to setup and give it a cleaning and fresh strings, nice deep tones but you can tell its a spector, couple of not so great pics.
SPECTOR® Club Member #264
Modulus Mob Club Member #91
Ampeg #985

www.clearwavestudio.com
Closed Thread