Go Back   TalkBass Forums > Bass Guitar Forums > Bass Guitar Forums > Basses [BG]
Register Rules/FAQ/CUP Members List Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read



Supporting Membership
Thank You

Latest Supporting Member
Donate to Upgrade Today

Closed Thread
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
  #641  
Old 01-22-2013, 07:13 AM
iceboxbass's Avatar
Living the Dream!
 
Join Date: Feb 2010
Location: "icebox of the Nation"
Send a message via Skype™ to iceboxbass
GOLD Supporting Member
Quote:
Originally Posted by lippylou View Post
Thanks! Yeah I'm almost out of here. Only a couple more weeks and I'll be reunited with the US of A!
Alright! Was Korea your first assignment? Where to in USA? There is some of us here ex-Air Force. I served 25.5 yrs. What's your career field?
__________________
Spector Coda 5XL Deluxe
Spector Bassist club #173, Ibanez Club #1149
  #642  
Old 01-22-2013, 07:30 AM
iceboxbass's Avatar
Living the Dream!
 
Join Date: Feb 2010
Location: "icebox of the Nation"
Send a message via Skype™ to iceboxbass
GOLD Supporting Member
Quote:
Originally Posted by bunkaroo View Post
I adopted this philosophy a long time ago. I've been playing guitar almost as long as bass so that helps, and I learned how to program convincing drum parts a while back too. I should be posting some of this stuff through the coming months. It's nice to have an outlet for material that doesn't fit the band you play in.
Hey Bunk that'd be cool to hear some of your drum parts etc... I just bought this book, Bass Grooves: Develop Your Groove and Play Like the Pros in Any Style Book/CD (Softcover) (Paperback)
Ed Friedland 13 (I actually bought one with spiro binder for $17.00)
In the instructions it recommended buying a drum machine or software. Ill use GarageBands drum machine.
It'd be cool to hear some of your experience too, on drum machines though. It'd be helpful. I hear your the pro on it.
__________________
Spector Coda 5XL Deluxe
Spector Bassist club #173, Ibanez Club #1149
  #643  
Old 01-22-2013, 07:31 AM
Registered User
 
Join Date: Nov 2008
Location: Charleston, SC
Quote:
Originally Posted by bassgiant15 View Post
I used one for awhile. It's good for just catching ideas, but I wouldn't try to cut an album with it. With a computer you can get way better results too. Just my .02
agreed, if you're looking to record rehearsals or just get an idea recorded without waiting for a computer to boot up, load a DAW and all that crap, it can be a great tool. the computer is still going to be the best tool for using all of the editing capabilities and plug in functionality. that price is a solid deal if its still available.
__________________
Spector Club #124
Mike Lull Club #71
Wal Club #61
Yamaha bb Club #90
  #644  
Old 01-22-2013, 07:42 AM
iceboxbass's Avatar
Living the Dream!
 
Join Date: Feb 2010
Location: "icebox of the Nation"
Send a message via Skype™ to iceboxbass
GOLD Supporting Member
Quote:
Originally Posted by delucajohn2000 View Post
I used a D'Addario XL .145 to go down to A on my Rebop 5 and it was nice but was a bit floppy when I went down to G# so I went with a .158 Circle K and have been very happy with the tension.
On my former Forte5 35" scale I had Power slinks .135 for the B, I dropped tuned to A for a certain song and it handled it great. but I don't normally drop tune. I think that was my one and only time. Most songs we play in keys of G D E, once in awhile F which is one of my favorite keys. I love playing #'s! I like the harmonics. Of course our guitards are all whining we we play #'s hehehe
__________________
Spector Coda 5XL Deluxe
Spector Bassist club #173, Ibanez Club #1149
  #645  
Old 01-22-2013, 07:53 AM
iceboxbass's Avatar
Living the Dream!
 
Join Date: Feb 2010
Location: "icebox of the Nation"
Send a message via Skype™ to iceboxbass
GOLD Supporting Member
Quote:
Originally Posted by delucajohn2000 View Post
I just ordered it last night so it will most likely ship today or tomorrow. Depending on where it ships from will determine if I get it but if it ships from PA, I usually get stuff in 2 days.
Cool, it'll be interesting to hear how you like it. I JUST started this week, playing out of the "Bass Aerobics" book, that I ordered months ago. Lol I've decided THIS year, I'm going to work on the disciplines of Bass playing, instead of just playing to covers all the time.
__________________
Spector Coda 5XL Deluxe
Spector Bassist club #173, Ibanez Club #1149
  #646  
Old 01-22-2013, 08:20 AM
iceboxbass's Avatar
Living the Dream!
 
Join Date: Feb 2010
Location: "icebox of the Nation"
Send a message via Skype™ to iceboxbass
GOLD Supporting Member
Quote:
Originally Posted by diechris View Post
looks like i'll be hitting the stage again a bit sooner then i expected!

I got asked to be the fill in for a new band. I'm not really in the market for a new project at the moment but I couldnt resist the opportunity.

They dont have a bassist yet so I'll be there for the shows I can.

Two guitarist from my former band(Aechoes - Swimming with Sharks Records) and the drummer from Burning the Masses(Mediaskare Records)

Here the pre-production vids for the

Guitars
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nKvCDA201gU

and the amazing Chason on drums... by far the best drummer i'll be working with.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=njHxamcPNas

got the tracks today and it looks like i got a lot of homework in the next month
Congrats Chris! That's really an awesome opportunity! It's great that you can get back on the stage. You deserve it Chris. I listened to the two tracks...you have some pro musicians in there. The drummer is insanely awesome! I've decide for 2013 to either advertise for another drummer for my band, "Parallel 45", or find a band that's looking for a bass player. The drummer that I want in our band leaves 2 hours away. Ever since we played together during the 1st Annual Farmfest, and another time after, him and I sync together so great! And his band just broke up. I contacted him Monday and talked awhile and we are both in agreement about him playing in our band, but, the distance thing is too much for him, most unfortunately. He is an amazing drummer. He drums on a set of trans blue Ludwigs, like the Beatles had. Those are awesome drums!
__________________
Spector Coda 5XL Deluxe
Spector Bassist club #173, Ibanez Club #1149
  #647  
Old 01-22-2013, 08:35 AM
bunkaroo's Avatar
Registered User

Endorsing Artist: Spector Basses
 
Join Date: Apr 2003
Location: Naperville, IL
Supporting Member
Quote:
Originally Posted by iceboxbass View Post
Hey Bunk that'd be cool to hear some of your drum parts etc... I just bought this book, Bass Grooves: Develop Your Groove and Play Like the Pros in Any Style Book/CD (Softcover) (Paperback)
Ed Friedland 13 (I actually bought one with spiro binder for $17.00)
In the instructions it recommended buying a drum machine or software. Ill use GarageBands drum machine.
It'd be cool to hear some of your experience too, on drum machines though. It'd be helpful. I hear your the pro on it.
I don't know who said I was a pro on it, but I have tinkered with it for a long time. This is one of those topics I have a lot of thoughts on so watch out for the novel below.

I think practicing with drums vs. a click is awesome and it has really tightened up my timing on bass over the years. It also helps me when I'm recording bass to songs I've written since I know exactly where all the drum beats are and can play to them more effectively. Hell even playing along to Jammit is getting to me watch my timing more as I have a tendency to rush a bit.

Drum programming can be extremely tedious if you want it to be realistic, but the results are worth it IMO.

I started getting used to it 15 years ago with this little Roland DR-5 "Dr. Rhythm Section". It could play three melodic instruments in addition to a drum track so I really cut my teeth with programming and writing songs on that thing, and I squeezed every last drop out of it. Next up was a Kurzweil K2500 which was also very cumbersome to program in the sequencing, but sounded much better than the DR-5.

Learning the Piano Roll in Cakewalk Sonar has been a godsend. I'm sure some other DAW software has implemented MIDI editing even better than Sonar.

For me I pretty much just start with the kick-snare pattern I hear in my head and get that entered. Thankfully I don't have to play it live to do it or I'd be in trouble. After that it's just a matter of getting what I hear in my head down in the program. I always say I'd be an awesome drummer if I could physically play the parts I hear in my head LOL. The trick is visualizing whether a drummer with the standard four human limbs could potentially play the part. So if I have a steady ride going and then I have a snare and crash hit at the same time, the ride has to drop for that beat or else it won't pass the "realistic" test. That probably seems like a "duh" for some but you'd be surprised how often you hear stuff like that happen in programmed drum parts.

One note: many of these programs come with MIDI parts performed by actual drummers. I find those can be very cool to study and see how a real drummer's parts look in MIDI. But I find myself very hesitant to use them in my songs, as I always worry I will write a riff based on one of these parts and then hear a riff like 90% the same on some other record because they also used the part.

Once the parts are done, I start looking at the velocities to make them more realistic - a drummer won't hit the drum with the exact same velocity every time. Most drum software these days has a number of samples for multiple velocity ranges so a MIDI note at 120 will sound off differently than one at 110. See what I mean about tedious? I'll also use some of the "humanize" functionality you can use to apply to MIDI parts which make slight variances in where the MIDI notes land so everything isn't exactly on the grid either because again, most drummers I know can't play exactly on the beat all the time. I find this function very useful for programmed piano parts too.

I will say there is nothing better than playing with a great live drummer, and if I had the facilities to record live drums that could sound as good as the drums you get with Toontrack, BFD, SSD, etc., I would do it. But for the sake of expedience and sound quality, I do it with the drum software. The ironic part is these days many kicks and snares recorded by live drummers are augmented or completely replaced by samples, so in the end, it seems like a moot point to record them live if you can effectively program the parts. But I won't win many drummer friends with that view. Now if I could fnd a drummer that had an awesome V-Drum rig and didn't mind using sampled sounds, you get the best of both worlds - the live performance element with the benefit of clean and high quality sound recordings.
__________________
Divinity Compromised - debut album "A World Torn" out now! Direct CD Sales | iTunes | Amazon MP3 | CDBaby
  #648  
Old 01-22-2013, 08:37 AM
bunkaroo's Avatar
Registered User

Endorsing Artist: Spector Basses
 
Join Date: Apr 2003
Location: Naperville, IL
Supporting Member
Quote:
Originally Posted by diechris View Post
looks like i'll be hitting the stage again a bit sooner then i expected!

I got asked to be the fill in for a new band. I'm not really in the market for a new project at the moment but I couldnt resist the opportunity.

They dont have a bassist yet so I'll be there for the shows I can.

Two guitarist from my former band(Aechoes - Swimming with Sharks Records) and the drummer from Burning the Masses(Mediaskare Records)

Here the pre-production vids for the

Guitars
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nKvCDA201gU

and the amazing Chason on drums... by far the best drummer i'll be working with.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=njHxamcPNas

got the tracks today and it looks like i got a lot of homework in the next month
This stuff is nuts. Very interested to see your approach to this on bass. I'm not super-familiar with the "djent" artists of today but I assume this falls under that genre.
__________________
Divinity Compromised - debut album "A World Torn" out now! Direct CD Sales | iTunes | Amazon MP3 | CDBaby
  #649  
Old 01-22-2013, 08:38 AM
Registered User
 
Join Date: Feb 2009
Location: Mercerville, NJ USA
Send a message via AIM to delucajohn2000 Send a message via Skype™ to delucajohn2000
Quote:
Originally Posted by iceboxbass View Post
Cool, it'll be interesting to hear how you like it. I JUST started this week, playing out of the "Bass Aerobics" book, that I ordered months ago. Lol I've decided THIS year, I'm going to work on the disciplines of Bass playing, instead of just playing to covers all the time.
That Bass Aerobics book really doesn't waste any time throwing some crazy songs at you. I stopped doing it for a while but now I am playing through it for at least 15-20 minutes each day with my practice schedule and I am finally getting it down.

Lessons 2 and 3 are insane if you don't keep at them so I am finally have lesson 2 down good and am close to getting the third one down as well. They just throw so many notes at you it gets tough to keep up with but that is really good and helped my playing a good amount. It seems like they are starting to tone down a few of the songs after those and work more on timing which is good.
__________________
Club Clement #87 Spector Club #226
  #650  
Old 01-22-2013, 08:41 AM
bunkaroo's Avatar
Registered User

Endorsing Artist: Spector Basses
 
Join Date: Apr 2003
Location: Naperville, IL
Supporting Member
Bass Aerobics - sounds scary!

I did pick up the Alex Webster book to try and get my finger-plucking chops closer to my picking ability. Some cool stuff in there.

I've been making myself get all the way through a couple different Dream Theater songs on Jammit every week - seems sufficiently aerobic for me anyway. Some of that stuff is quite the stretch on a 35" scale 6-string.
__________________
Divinity Compromised - debut album "A World Torn" out now! Direct CD Sales | iTunes | Amazon MP3 | CDBaby
  #651  
Old 01-22-2013, 09:02 AM
iceboxbass's Avatar
Living the Dream!
 
Join Date: Feb 2010
Location: "icebox of the Nation"
Send a message via Skype™ to iceboxbass
GOLD Supporting Member
Quote:
Originally Posted by worshiprocker View Post
Thanks man! I completely understand both sides of the equation. I just love rocking out!
+1,000,000!!! Our KB/MD in our Praise band just shakes her head and don't understand how eager and willing to gig out to other venues, on short notice. I tell her that I just LOVE to play! It's my life now I'm retired. Since we've cut our CD last summer, we've been getting several invites to play at other churches/venues and to help others start a Praise band. Just love playing Spector basses!
Quote:
Originally Posted by bassboy01 View Post
Hey guys, I will be heading out to the NAMM show in Anaheim, CA Thursday morning. If you see anything posted online at the Spector booth and are serious about purchasing please feel free to contact me on my cellphone and I will be more then happy to try to work something out with PJ to see if it is available. 918-521-5660. Please only call if you are serious. I will be very busy at the show but more than happy to make your Spector dream come true!!!
I'm trying to raise funds for that Coda 5XL Exotic...my wife wants me to get it also. She said that's the most amazing wood body on a Spector that she has seen. Have fun Todd!
Quote:
Originally Posted by JPSBassist View Post
Hey everyone!

I'll be leaving for the NAMM Show tomorrow. Will be diving all the basses/guitars for the show down from my office.

There's more NS-2's at this show than any before I think.
Some really AWESOME looking instruments.

And Ultraviolet Gloss is pretty amazing looking on tube quilt.
There's also a matte reddish/orange burst in matte that I LOVE.
That bass has an amazing neck.

Lots of cool things. I'll be posting on Twitter @SpectorCentral and on FaceBook. So come check it out. A bunch of behind the scenes stuff and I'm getting some cool interviews this year.

Cheers! See you guys about this time next week!

I hope to see some of you there!
Awesomeness! Waiting to see some awesome pics and interviews! Have fun, even though its work for you!
Quote:
Originally Posted by j.kernodle View Post
how cool would it be to buy that ultraviolet Woodstock NS2 #813 to go with my Brooklyn NS2 #813? can anyone answer that?
Man...I believe it's in the stars for you! When ever have you seen two identical serial#'s on two NS-2's?!?! Get it!
Quote:
Originally Posted by fuzzychaos View Post
Yes, I totally agree here. I actually find the stand alone units more complicated than the PC software.
Good to know. Cool Avatar BTW!
Quote:
Originally Posted by superflybass View Post
Hopefully I will see some of you all at namm I leave Thursday morning
You have the most hilarious Avatar here! Always makes me chuckle!
__________________
Spector Coda 5XL Deluxe
Spector Bassist club #173, Ibanez Club #1149
  #652  
Old 01-22-2013, 09:16 AM
iceboxbass's Avatar
Living the Dream!
 
Join Date: Feb 2010
Location: "icebox of the Nation"
Send a message via Skype™ to iceboxbass
GOLD Supporting Member
Quote:
Originally Posted by bunkaroo View Post
I don't know who said I was a pro on it, but I have tinkered with it for a long time. This is one of those topics I have a lot of thoughts on so watch out for the novel below.

I think practicing with drums vs. a click is awesome and it has really tightened up my timing on bass over the years. It also helps me when I'm recording bass to songs I've written since I know exactly where all the drum beats are and can play to them more effectively. Hell even playing along to Jammit is getting to me watch my timing more as I have a tendency to rush a bit.

Drum programming can be extremely tedious if you want it to be realistic, but the results are worth it IMO.

I started getting used to it 15 years ago with this little Roland DR-5 "Dr. Rhythm Section". It could play three melodic instruments in addition to a drum track so I really cut my teeth with programming and writing songs on that thing, and I squeezed every last drop out of it. Next up was a Kurzweil K2500 which was also very cumbersome to program in the sequencing, but sounded much better than the DR-5.

Learning the Piano Roll in Cakewalk Sonar has been a godsend. I'm sure some other DAW software has implemented MIDI editing even better than Sonar.

For me I pretty much just start with the kick-snare pattern I hear in my head and get that entered. Thankfully I don't have to play it live to do it or I'd be in trouble. After that it's just a matter of getting what I hear in my head down in the program. I always say I'd be an awesome drummer if I could physically play the parts I hear in my head LOL. The trick is visualizing whether a drummer with the standard four human limbs could potentially play the part. So if I have a steady ride going and then I have a snare and crash hit at the same time, the ride has to drop for that beat or else it won't pass the "realistic" test. That probably seems like a "duh" for some but you'd be surprised how often you hear stuff like that happen in programmed drum parts.

One note: many of these programs come with MIDI parts performed by actual drummers. I find those can be very cool to study and see how a real drummer's parts look in MIDI. But I find myself very hesitant to use them in my songs, as I always worry I will write a riff based on one of these parts and then hear a riff like 90% the same on some other record because they also used the part.

Once the parts are done, I start looking at the velocities to make them more realistic - a drummer won't hit the drum with the exact same velocity every time. Most drum software these days has a number of samples for multiple velocity ranges so a MIDI note at 120 will sound off differently than one at 110. See what I mean about tedious? I'll also use some of the "humanize" functionality you can use to apply to MIDI parts which make slight variances in where the MIDI notes land so everything isn't exactly on the grid either because again, most drummers I know can't play exactly on the beat all the time. I find this function very useful for programmed piano parts too.

I will say there is nothing better than playing with a great live drummer, and if I had the facilities to record live drums that could sound as good as the drums you get with Toontrack, BFD, SSD, etc., I would do it. But for the sake of expedience and sound quality, I do it with the drum software. The ironic part is these days many kicks and snares recorded by live drummers are augmented or completely replaced by samples, so in the end, it seems like a moot point to record them live if you can effectively program the parts. But I won't win many drummer friends with that view. Now if I could fnd a drummer that had an awesome V-Drum rig and didn't mind using sampled sounds, you get the best of both worlds - the live performance element with the benefit of clean and high quality sound recordings.
Thank you Bunk! I much appreciate your expressing your knowledge of experience.
__________________
Spector Coda 5XL Deluxe
Spector Bassist club #173, Ibanez Club #1149
  #653  
Old 01-22-2013, 09:17 AM
worshiprocker's Avatar
Registered User

Endorsing Artist: Spector Basses
 
Join Date: Aug 2011
Location: Mesa, Arizona
Send a message via Skype™ to worshiprocker
Supporting Member
Quote:
Originally Posted by bassgiant15 View Post
I used one for awhile. It's good for just catching ideas, but I wouldn't try to cut an album with it. With a computer you can get way better results too. Just my .02
Quote:
Originally Posted by fuzzychaos View Post
Yes, I totally agree here. I actually find the stand alone units more complicated than the PC software.
Quote:
Originally Posted by j.kernodle View Post
agreed, if you're looking to record rehearsals or just get an idea recorded without waiting for a computer to boot up, load a DAW and all that crap, it can be a great tool. the computer is still going to be the best tool for using all of the editing capabilities and plug in functionality. that price is a solid deal if its still available.
Sounds like it will be perfect for me. I don't mix or record at home. if anything i would record one mic and one acoustic guitar. Otherwise I was thinking just to record song ideas and pass it on the the other guys in the band
__________________
Defy Tolerance
SPECTOR® Club #246 - NS-4CRFM Jade / NS 2000/5 Black / NS-2JA-R Caddy Green
Sansamp RBI > Ampeg SVT 6 Pro > Fender 610 PRO
  #654  
Old 01-22-2013, 09:25 AM
lippylou's Avatar
Registered User
 
Join Date: Sep 2012
Location: Anchorage AK
Supporting Member
Quote:
Originally Posted by iceboxbass View Post
Alright! Was Korea your first assignment? Where to in USA? There is some of us here ex-Air Force. I served 25.5 yrs. What's your career field?
No, Korea was my second assignment, I'm going to be around SC and NC for leave, then making that wonderful drive from SC all the way to Anchorage AK. Its gonna be fun and my Spectors are gonna be right with me. Wow, did you retire as a Senior or a Chief? I'm a maintainer, Ammo to be exact.
__________________
LIPPY AKA Joe

SPECTOR CLUB 374
SPECTOR FORTE 4, Ibanez SR5006e OL
  #655  
Old 01-22-2013, 09:33 AM
iceboxbass's Avatar
Living the Dream!
 
Join Date: Feb 2010
Location: "icebox of the Nation"
Send a message via Skype™ to iceboxbass
GOLD Supporting Member
Quote:
Originally Posted by delucajohn2000 View Post
That Bass Aerobics book really doesn't waste any time throwing some crazy songs at you. I stopped doing it for a while but now I am playing through it for at least 15-20 minutes each day with my practice schedule and I am finally getting it down.

Lessons 2 and 3 are insane if you don't keep at them so I am finally have lesson 2 down good and am close to getting the third one down as well. They just throw so many notes at you it gets tough to keep up with but that is really good and helped my playing a good amount. It seems like they are starting to tone down a few of the songs after those and work more on timing which is good.
You not kidding! I thought the first time I listened to lesson 2 this is for sure challenging. First couple time I found reading tabs helped me in establishing which strings and fret positioning. Then I decided to write in the note names right above each note, and that helps out a lot. I've found a few errors of them writing the wrong note names above the notes, i.e. page 8 measure 9 Eb should be G, 13 they wrote an Eb5 when its clearly a G, measure 16 Bb5 should be Ab, measure 20 same.
The lessons so far reminds me of practicing scales back in high school band days. And we all know how much fun that is! Lol But I know these disciplines are good for building many aspects of bass playing.
Thanks for sharing John.
__________________
Spector Coda 5XL Deluxe
Spector Bassist club #173, Ibanez Club #1149
  #656  
Old 01-22-2013, 09:37 AM
tomydacat's Avatar
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jul 2009
Location: RVA
Supporting Member
what is the bass book called Yall are working on??
__________________
Spector Club #322
RIP#227 L.O.E.
Hollowbody Club #382
SVT 7 Pro club #15
Bass Tattoo #32
Dipinto Club # 4
Country Bassist Club #5
Fender jazz bass club #1149
Fender Precision Club #1141
  #657  
Old 01-22-2013, 09:41 AM
iceboxbass's Avatar
Living the Dream!
 
Join Date: Feb 2010
Location: "icebox of the Nation"
Send a message via Skype™ to iceboxbass
GOLD Supporting Member
Quote:
Originally Posted by bunkaroo View Post
Bass Aerobics - sounds scary!

I did pick up the Alex Webster book to try and get my finger-plucking chops closer to my picking ability. Some cool stuff in there.

I've been making myself get all the way through a couple different Dream Theater songs on Jammit every week - seems sufficiently aerobic for me anyway. Some of that stuff is quite the stretch on a 35" scale 6-string.
Oh yeah, what's the title of his book? I know that I should practice with a pick on e in a while as I only finger play. Do you find that it's better/easier to play fast using a pick vs. fingers? With fingers you can use 3-4 fingers for faster songs. I tend to use James Jamerson's method of using my index finger solo for faster songs. Do you find since you played guitar for so many years that its just easier to use a pick? Sorry about the barrage of questions. Lol
__________________
Spector Coda 5XL Deluxe
Spector Bassist club #173, Ibanez Club #1149
  #658  
Old 01-22-2013, 09:56 AM
iceboxbass's Avatar
Living the Dream!
 
Join Date: Feb 2010
Location: "icebox of the Nation"
Send a message via Skype™ to iceboxbass
GOLD Supporting Member
Quote:
Originally Posted by lippylou View Post
No, Korea was my second assignment, I'm going to be around SC and NC for leave, then making that wonderful drive from SC all the way to Anchorage AK. Its gonna be fun and my Spectors are gonna be right with me. Wow, did you retire as a Senior or a Chief? I'm a maintainer, Ammo to be exact.
NICE next assignment! Was that your BPO? My wife and I contemplated about moving to that area of Alaska but its too far away from our 3 lovely granddaughters and family.
Alright "AMMO"! Bomb dump? My Air Force career was 6.5 years active duty which I made Staff Sargent and then the next 19 years was in the ART, Air Reserve Tech working for the DOD. Civil Service during the week and Air Reserves on the weekend. I spent 17 years as Aircraft Weapons systems Tech (Bomb Loader), 3 years Aircrew Life Support, 5 years Aircraft Crew Chief/Airframe Inspector. Retired Tech Sargent. If I stayed another couple months I would've sewed on Master.
Sorry guys for kidnaping our thread with non-Spector matters. Now back to our scheduled Spector channel.
__________________
Spector Coda 5XL Deluxe
Spector Bassist club #173, Ibanez Club #1149

Last edited by iceboxbass : 01-22-2013 at 10:00 AM.
  #659  
Old 01-22-2013, 09:59 AM
iceboxbass's Avatar
Living the Dream!
 
Join Date: Feb 2010
Location: "icebox of the Nation"
Send a message via Skype™ to iceboxbass
GOLD Supporting Member
Quote:
Originally Posted by tomydacat View Post
what is the bass book called Yall are working on??
Bass Aerobics by Jon Liebman
http://www.amazon.com/gp/aw/d/1423495632
__________________
Spector Coda 5XL Deluxe
Spector Bassist club #173, Ibanez Club #1149
  #660  
Old 01-22-2013, 10:51 AM
Registered User
 
Join Date: Feb 2009
Location: Mercerville, NJ USA
Send a message via AIM to delucajohn2000 Send a message via Skype™ to delucajohn2000
Quote:
Originally Posted by bunkaroo View Post
Bass Aerobics - sounds scary!

I did pick up the Alex Webster book to try and get my finger-plucking chops closer to my picking ability. Some cool stuff in there.

I've been making myself get all the way through a couple different Dream Theater songs on Jammit every week - seems sufficiently aerobic for me anyway. Some of that stuff is quite the stretch on a 35" scale 6-string.
It's so funny. I have bought so many tracks from Jammit that now I don't even know which ones to start with, LOL. I should just do what you do and just pick a few for each week and start moving on them.

I haven't even attempted any Dream Theater tracks since I know my skill level isn't there yet. I am occasionally playing through YYZ or Tom Sawyer by Rush but still can't play them up to speed yet but I am slowly getting there

Quote:
Originally Posted by iceboxbass View Post
Oh yeah, what's the title of his book? I know that I should practice with a pick on e in a while as I only finger play. Do you find that it's better/easier to play fast using a pick vs. fingers? With fingers you can use 3-4 fingers for faster songs. I tend to use James Jamerson's method of using my index finger solo for faster songs. Do you find since you played guitar for so many years that its just easier to use a pick? Sorry about the barrage of questions. Lol
ALex's book is called "Extreme Metal Bass" but don't let the title scare you away. He really has some great exercises for both left and right hand techniques that are very helpful and would be good for all types of music.

He is all fingers too so he does have a section that explains his 3 finger technique which is just insane. There are 2 different types of 3 finger techniques that he explains and I am getting the first one down but the second one is just going to take time. He shows it in this video so you only need to see the first minute:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=K3tTp7tgAbI

Adding all of this stuff to my practice routine has made me see a very big improvement in my playing though so I am definitely glad these kinds of resources are available now
__________________
Club Clement #87 Spector Club #226
Closed Thread


Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

vB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off

Visit TalkBass on Facebook   Download our iOS app   Download our Android app

All times are GMT -6. The time now is 11:01 PM.




© 2012 Talk Music Group Inc. All rights reserved.
Play guitar too? Visit TalkGuitar.com
Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.6.12
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.