I bought a Waterstone Mod paint job Thunderbird for $589.00 as a Bday present to myself. It arrived damaged in transit so Watertone offered me a V8, I jumped at the chance, I have always wanted a mutli string bass and the V8 with a price of 789$ was quite a upgrade from the Mod bird. Initially I was pretty pleased but after spending a short period of time with the bass it's flaws were glaring. As a bench mark a Epi Thunderbird would embarrass the V8. My $299 Jackson Kelly bird creams it. The finish was slipshod, buff marks, whirls and bare spots. The pick ups were not wide enough for the string spacing the E and G were noticeably quieter than the A and D. The bridge didn't allow for individual intonation adjustment. Under the neck plate was a big split out hole, drilled I presume to finish the body. The control cavity cover isn't recessed with a rough cut piece of plastic cover it. The string trees would not hold down the strings and when I tried to tune the bass the strings would pop out. I would have sent it packing but I had moved a strap button to the heel of the neck so I figured I couldn't send it back. So in for a penny in for a pound. I replaced the pickups with Dimarzios, new CTS pots, new Schaller 471 bridge, string tree and custom pg by me. In the end I got a pretty cool 8 string, lucky I had some of the parts and my buddys gave me a deal on bits I needed. Here are the before and after pics.