- London, Ontario
- Current Setup:
- 7/8 Double Bass by Peter Chandler, based on a design of William Tarr. String length - 39.5", upperbout - 20.9", lower bout - 27.6", body length - 45.5" (to top of neck block), body depth - 7-8", body is very circular with gamba corners, orange finish.
Plans as seen here: http://www.violins.on.ca/books/plans/tarr.gif
I play with a Ken Smith Tecchler german bow. I play with my left foot on a chair and my toe holding up the edge of the bass to reduce lose of vibration from my knee.
I play with a Low-D tuning with a short extension to get the low-C.
I use Obligatos or Dominant strings.
I've cut the wings off my bridge to get a louder, more accurate tone.
- G.A.S. List:
- one of these basses: http://www.contrabass.co.uk/1893.htm
And this bow:
- Gigs, Bands, & Ensembles:
- Orchestra London Canada - section bass in Pops and Ovation series, Stratford Civic Orch - principal bass, Guelph Symphony Orchestra - principal bass, occasionally with the First-St. Andrew's United Church String Ensemble, occasionally with the Sindsor Symphony Orchestra
- Influences and Teachers:
- intially - Paul McCartney, Geddy Lee, Sting
Teachers and occasional lessons - Lena Turofsky, Tom Monohan, John Gowan, Ed Tait, Thorveld Fredin, Jeff Stokes, Jack Winn, Joel Quarrington
Inspiring recordings - Edgar Meyer, Gary Karr, Jamie Jamieson, Charles Mingus, Steve Litman, Bobby McFerrin solo concerts
- Other Hobbies & Interests:
- supporting my wife, playing with my daughter
- Available for instruction:
- London, Ontario area
- Areas of Instruction::
- Double Bass (Classical), Double Bass (Jazz)
- Teaching Credentials:
- Certified Teacher for province of Ontario- I teach in many schools of the Thames Valley District School Board.
I also teach Suzuki guitar and teach bass privately.
bejoyous is not a member of any public groups