- Date of Birth:
- March 11th, 1973
- Rochester, NY, USA
- Current Setup:
- Shen/Strelau 3/4 carved double bass, Upton Bass Brazilwood German bow, Revolution Solo II pickup, Tech 21 SansAmp VT Bass, FDeck HPF-Pre II, Fishman Pro EQ Platinum Bass, Fender Precision, Fender Jazz Fretless, Squier Jazz Bass V, Unnivox 'Lectra, TC Electronic BG250, LaBella Deep Talkin' flatwound strings (BG), D'Addario nylon tapewound strings (BG), Helicore Hybrid strings (DB), Whirlwind Leader cables.
- Previously owned gear:
- MTD Heir 5-string, SX 5-string Jazz Bass clone, Ampeg B-100R, SWR WM 12, SWR WM 2X10C, SX fretless P-Bass clone.
- G.A.S. List:
- More time & discipline to dedicate to improving my playing. Maybe a 4- or 5-string Stingray-style.
- Gigs, Bands, & Ensembles:
- Genesee Johnny & the River Rats, The Silver Threads (DB/EB), Bill Tiberio & Friends Big Band (DB/EB), various other projects.
- Influences and Teachers:
- Bass instructors (in no particular order): Gaelen McCormick (Rochester (NY) Philharmonic), Timothy Legler (ESM alum), Jeff Campbell (Eastman School of Music Jazz Bass), and Fred Stone, Jr. (Berklee & ESM alumnus).
Others influences: Ray Brown, Ron Carter, Dave Holland, Paul Chambers, Chris Wood, Edgar Meyer, Jaco, John Paul Jones, Jamerson, many other double bassists and electric bassists.
- Favorite Genres:
- Jazz, early blues, Americana, oldtime, bluegrass.
- Other Hobbies & Interests:
- Birds, hiking camping, trombone, cooking, history, Macintosh computers, philosophy
- Available for instruction:
- New York
- Areas of Instruction::
- Bass Guitar
- Teaching Credentials:
- 20+ years' playing experience, studied with Jeff Campbell, Fred Stone, Jr., Dale Titus, Ray Riendeau. Performances with several Rochester, NY bands, and at music festivals, and musical theatre productions.
McGryff is not a member of any public groups