| || |
|View Profile: 4to5to6 |
| || |
Last Activity: 12-08-2013 03:01 PM
|Keep it simple! Play! Play! Play! |
- Bassist Magazine (UK) collection
- Raven Labs JBR-1 Jazz Bass Preamp
- MTD 535 solid Avodire (Avadore) body, wenge neck
|Forum Info ||Contact Info |
| || |
|4to5to6 has no contact information. |
|Additional Information ||Group Memberships |
- Canadian, North America
- Current Setup:
- Various MTD 535-24 fretted and fretless basses.
Thank you Michael!!!
2001 Rob Allen MB-2 4-string fretless - very expressive upright like sound.
Various Fender custom shop and master built '64 reissue Jazz and Precision basses.
I collect unique basses and bass gear.
2 x EBS TD600 Fafner heads
2 x Aguilar DB750 heads
A 72 and a 73 Ampeg V4B heads (looking for another one)
(I like backups)
2 x Epifani UL2-112 cabs - 300watts, 30 lbs!!!
Various SWR, GK, MusicMan, etc. cabs that I tend to stash at my favorite venus and friends' houses in order to save my back.
Reading this list I think it's time to clear out the clutter and simplify my life!!! Maybe sell off the Fenders... Nahhhh.
- Previously owned gear:
- I've owned it all, destroyed it all, rebuilt it all, moded it all... I like the saying: "If I can't fix it, it's not broken".
I'm a fully qualified solid state and tube amp tech as well as fretted instrument and also do lighting. I'm a certified electronics tech and an electrician. I usually just work on my own stuff and friends' but am always willing to help out.
I recently went to University to study the music business. I now offer tips on career development. I am available to help develop a musician's career, do their tour management, production management, run a venue... whatever the need or opportunity!
- G.A.S. List:
- - An Ampeg mid 60s Portaflex B15 flip top
- An early Eden World Tour WT-800 head
- More time to practice
- A decent work bench
- More money
- A drummer that really knows how to swing & groove
- An all expenses paid, full scholarship to Berklee
- Gigs, Bands, & Ensembles:
- I'm currently mainly in the shed. I still never turn down a gig.
- Influences and Teachers:
- I seem to be consistently into Ray Brown. I'm working on some early swing horn & sax material. Although I have never seriously played or owned an upright bass, I continually do the Simandl method for my reading studies as well as some Trombone books Jeff Berlin introduced me to and also Rufus Reed... can't forget Rufus!
I love the originality of the Maranatha bass players from the 70s... the days when Christian music had heart and it wasn't about the money or the next worship hit! God help us all!
Cameron Hood in North Vancouver helped me clean up my RH dampening technique and LH shifting. Thanks Cameron!
Mark Spielman of Selkirk College, Nelson kicked my butt to play smoooooth. Thanks Mark!
I did the One Week Intensive with Jeff Berlin in Clearwater, FL which was really inspiring. I met some awesome bass players there and Matt Bokulic condensed 100s of hours of Berkley music theory into a week. Thanks Jeff!
Online: Adam Nitti, Scott Devine, Jamie Lewis, Janek Gwizdala, Paul Wolfe... Thank You YouTube!
Hal Galper helped me be a musician first (internal) then a bassist (external).
- Favorite Genres:
- I can't think of any genre I don't appreciate. Mainly R&B, Celtic, Funk, Rock, Blues, 70s Jesus Music, Classical, Jazz... disco! I've always dreamed of playing in an awesome Afro-Cuban band and electric bass in a swing band. Chinese Opera???
- Other Hobbies & Interests:
- Luthiery / Electronics / Sailing
- Available for instruction:
- Western Canada, Pacific North West USA
- Areas of Instruction::
- Bass Guitar
- Teaching Credentials:
- Playing and studying the bass since 1974.
First and foremost I teach how to be a musican first... an Artist! ...the instrument is an illusion! The goal is to be able to play anything that comes into your head. Work on the head first.
In contrast, I also tend to be a technique junkie as you need to be able to control your instrument without limitation to get the music out.
It's important to keep the art and the shed seperate.
4to5to6 is not a member of any public groups