- Columbus, GA
- Current Setup:
- Genz Benz Shuttlemax 9.2
fEARful 12/6/1 cube (starting build)
Genz Benz Shuttle 6 12t Combo + 12t
DIY 1x8 coffeehouse cab
• Franken Jazz 5 string 1- Maple body w/ Fender std Jazz V Maple / Pau Ferro Neck
• Franken Jazz 5 string 2- Fender Jazz V body w/ VMV BnB Maple neck
• Fender std Jazz '06
• Fender std P '00
• Butterface in a Tight Red Dress - SX Fretless PJ, CAR of course
• Cello of significant age and unknown provenance, gorgeous, delicious tone. Have had this since my early teens and will never let it go.
- Previously owned gear:
- First Amp: Wollensak Reel to Reel deck as a tube amp. Dad built me a very nice custom 8" wizzy cab. I was probably 8yrs old.
First Bass: Dad's 60's Yamaha short scale semi-hollow body bass one of his student's brought back from a trip to Japan, which he still has and I'm still trying to talk him out of (see avatar)
Next was an 60's Gibson EB-3 with about three inches of air between the strings and frets (okay not literally, but it was bad). My hands got strong quick playing that. I broke the set neck off tripping over it in my messy bedroom at some point and when I glued it back on, the action was much better. Threw some active EMG's and a Bad Ass bridge on it and it was stellar (if a bit sacreligous and misguided). It sounded fantastic through my blackface Fender Bassman ('62?) and a JBL E130 15 " in a cab my dad and I built.
Next was a Yamaha fretless (diy pry and putty), followed by a 70's P bass. Then at some point an early 80s Ric 4003, and a few forgetable others which didn't stay with me long. I built numerous cabinets around JBL, EV and Altec 15's and owned a variety of amps (David Eden, GK, Trace Elliott, SWR, Ampeg, Peavy, Sun, Carvin, Accoustic, Fender, Polytone, Silvertone, Inter-M, Crown, QSC, Stewart, DIY tube and solid state, etc).
I also used to play drums quite a bit and had several fantastic old vintage kits, including 60's Rodgers, 64 Ludwig Club Date, and my favorite- a beautiful '66 Slingerland kit that I got nearly free and restored to it's former glory. I packed the lugs with cotton and used it in the studio for several years.
Other: Wurlitzer and Rhodes keys, A few vintage synths I found in garage sales and thrift shops for dirt cheap, and a couple of other guitars.
- G.A.S. List:
- • A good double bass again
• Thunderchild 112AF
• Fdeck's HPF for the double
• another small/light/powerful head- GK perhaps.
• a 5 string fretless - a Rob Allen would be nice
• A nordy or lull pj5
Non bass G.A.S:
keys- including a b3 with leslie, a honer clav, another rhodes and another whirlie electric (shouldn't ever have sold them), maybe just a nord electro and save all the extra space.
I'd love to score an old fender princeton at a garage sale (I once landed a nearly mint 64 Twin Reverb for FREE along with a bunch of PA gear a lady just wanted out of her basement)
drums, v-drums for the sake of the neighbors,
- Gigs, Bands, & Ensembles:
- Big Woody & the Splinters, Sabra & The Towering Giants; Tim Tucker Trio; Bad Adverbs
- Influences and Teachers:
- Jamerson, Jaco, Rocco, Geddy, Victor, Markus, Stanley, Jack Bruce, Steve Harris, JPJ, Mark King...
First electric and double bass lessons were from my dad, who is a retired middle school band teacher, jazz pianist/ bassist, and the coolest guy I know. Took lessons for about 15 years on Cello. Taught myself the rest.
- Favorite Genres:
- Anything with bass as a forethought. Funk, Soul, Blues, Jazz, Rock & Roll, just gimme a beat.
- Other Hobbies & Interests:
- all manner of DIY- I'm cheap and gots skilz
JdoubleH is not a member of any public groups