- Columbus, GA
- Current Setup:
- Genz Benz Shuttlemax 9.2
Genz Benz Shuttle 6 12t Combo + 12t
DIY 1x8 coffeehouse cab
Fender Jazz Std V
Fender std Jazz '06
Fender std P '00
Butterface in a Tight Red Dress - CAR SX Fretless PJ
Cello of significant age and unknown provenance, gorgeous, delicious tone. Have had this since my early teens and will never let it go.
Early 80's Gibson Custom Shop "The Paul"
- Previously owned gear:
- First Amp: Wollensak Reel to Reel deck as a tube amp. Dad built me a very nice custom 8" wizzy cab. I was probably 8yrs old.
First Bass: Dad's 60's Yamaha short scale semi-hollow body bass one of his student's brought back from a trip to Japan, which he still has and I'm still trying to talk him out of (see avatar)
Next was an 60's Gibson EB-3 with about three inches of air between the strings and frets (okay not literally, but it was bad). My hands got strong quick playing that. I broke the set neck off tripping over it in my messy bedroom at some point and when I glued it back on, the action was much better. Threw some active EMG's and a Bad Ass bridge on it and it was stellar (if a bit sacreligous and misguided). It sounded fantastic through my blackface Fender Bassman ('62?) and a JBL E130 15 " in a cab my dad and I built.
Next was a Yamaha fretless (diy pry and putty), followed by a 70's P bass. Then at some point an early 80s Ric 4003, and a few forgetable others which didn't stay with me long. I built numerous cabinets around JBL, EV and Altec 15's and owned a variety of amps (David Eden, GK, Trace Elliott, SWR, Ampeg, Peavy, Sun, Carvin, Accoustic, Fender, Polytone, Silvertone, Inter-M, Crown, QSC, Stewart, DIY tube and solid state, etc).
I also used to play drums quite a bit and had several fantastic old vintage kits, including 60's Rodgers, 64 Ludwig Club Date, and my favorite- a beautiful '66 Slingerland kit that I got nearly free and restored to it's former glory. I packed the lugs with cotton and used it in the studio for several years.
Other: Wurlitzer and Rhodes keys, A few vintage synths I found in garage sales and thrift shops for dirt cheap, and a couple of other guitars.
- G.A.S. List:
- • A good double bass again
• Crazy 8 / 88 cab
• fEARful 12/6 cube (next build?)
• fEARful 15 Sub
• pair of BFM Jack 10's
• Thunderchild 112AF
• Fdeck's HPF for the double
• Gretsch Catalina Club or Sonor Safari kit+ triggers and a good brain, e-cymbals.
• 60's slingerland / ludwig / rodgers / camco, etc 4 piece + some great cymbals and modern hardware
• DIY low powered tube amp - Princeton clone
• Nord Electro 2/3
• a good IEM setup
• a mellotron
• My Wurlitzer electric piano back
• A Korg SP250 for the living room
- Gigs, Bands, & Ensembles:
- Big Woody & the Splinters, Sabra & The Towering Giants; Tim Tucker Trio
- Influences and Teachers:
- Jamerson, Jaco, Rocco, Geddy, Victor, Markus, Stanley, Jack Bruce, Steve Harris, JPJ, Mark King...
First electric and double bass lessons were from my dad, who is a retired middle school band teacher, jazz pianist/ bassist, and the coolest guy I know. Took lessons for about 15 years for Cello. Taught myself the rest.
- Favorite Genres:
- Anything with bass as a forethought. Funk, Soul, Blues, Jazz, Rock & Roll, just gimme a beat.
- Other Hobbies & Interests:
- Woodworking, restoring vintage drums, all manner of DIY
JdoubleH is not a member of any public groups