- Date of Birth:
- April 16th, 1970
- Bordeaux, France
- Current Setup:
- First off: I'm a lefty.
I got my first electric bass and started playing in 1988. Got my first double bass in 1993 and sold my slab soon after. I quit my day job in 2003 and I'm now enjoying the luxury of being a full-time bass player. In 2008 I felt like playing the electric bass again, so I'm now officially a doubler. ;-)
Hybrid New Standard Cleveland #249 w/ Gamut gut strings + Anima E.
Kremona carved upright w/ Evah Pirazzi
Framus Triumph EURB w/ Jargar strings and a big chunk of foam wedged behind the strings (for afro-cuban/salsa music).
Fender Precision CIJ '62 reissue - LaBella 0760M
Sterling by MM Ray34 - Pyramid Gold
Various SX modding/tinkering projects.
Augagneur & Bergeron unsigned pernambuco french bow, Yita german bow, black hair, soft Oak rosin.
On double bass, I play mostly unamplified gigs, but when it is necessary to use some amplification, I use the DPA 4099, Headway EDB-1 preamp, and a QSC K8.
On electric, Markbass Compressore -> SansAmp VT Bass Deluxe -> Markbass CMD 121P combo + SVT 810AV cab or Markbass NY121 depending on the size of the room. Radial Bigshot I/O, Avalon U5, Tech 21 Acoustic DI & Blonde.
- Previously owned gear:
- Yorkville Y400 combo, Spirocore (weich, mittel, stark), Oliv, Eudoxa, Obligato, Helicore, Dominant, Permanent. K&K Bass Max, Golden Trinity mic, Schertler Pub, GK MB150.
- G.A.S. List:
- Ampeg SVT-VR, Ampeg PF series, etc.
More gigs! ;-)
- Gigs, Bands, & Ensembles:
- Freelancing southwestern France. Grand Six (jazz originals), Bordeaux Big Band, l'Orchestre du Dimanche (dance music, cha-chas, rumbas), Les Fox-Trotters (music from the 1930s), Sébastien Arruti quartet (contemporary jazz), Monique Thomas quartet, Rainbow Child (Hendrix tribute power trio), Jazz & Cie (weddings & private functions), several Dixieland/traditional jazz bands, a hip hop combo, Los Tauras (tango quintet), Agua Dulce (flamenco quintet), Yoann Loustalot, Alex Golino, Christophe Maroye, Didier Ottaviani, Eric Séva...
- Influences and Teachers:
- Music I love: Duke Ellington, Thelonious Monk, Charles Mingus.
Players: Mingus of course, Ray Brown, PC, Pettiford, Blanton, Sam Jones, Leroy Vinnegar and so many others.
Today's players: I'm a huge fan of Larry Grenadier. Peter Washington and Dennis Irwin are great, too. Patitucci, Dave Holland, the list goes on and on.
Electric: James Jamerson! But also Wilton Felder, Bernard Edwards, Tommy Cogbill, Willie Weeks, Duck Dunn, Carol Kaye, Nathan Watts, Bob Babbitt, David Hood, Bootsy, Bernard Odum, Jerry Jemmott...
- Favorite Genres:
- Jazz, R&B, soul, old-school funk, blues, reggae
- Other Hobbies & Interests:
- Trying to be a decent parent. I moonlight as a recording engineer now and then.
- Available for instruction:
- Areas of Instruction::
- Double Bass (Jazz), Bass Guitar
- Teaching Credentials:
- I'm the current jazz bass (double bass) instructor at the Conservatoire de Mont-de-Marsan (France), and I also teach electric bass at EMM Talence.
TimoMetzemakers is not a member of any public groups