- Date of Birth:
- October 26th
- Endorsing Artist: Karl Hoyt Basses
- upstate NY
- Current Setup:
- Current stage rig:
Genz-Benz Streamliner 900
Avatar Cube 112 x 2 - This is THE mini rig of dooooooom. It crushes most clubs with ease. Total actual weight = 66lbs, total sonic weight = total heavioscity.
Genz-Benz Shuttle 6.0
Various solid state heads in varying states of functionality
Flite Cab 115
Flite Cab 515
1988 Hartke 210xl
"Yogi" - Karl "The Llama" Hoyt Basses Custom 5 w/zebra wood top, and Duncan Vintage soapbars/pre (http://www.hoytbasses.com/)
"Horse" - 2003 Lakland Skyline 55-01 Sunburst, and a rosewood board. The bass for when I can only bring ONE.
"Slinky" - 1996 Fender USA Deluxe Jazz 5. Trans-red, rosewood, custom defretted (with rock maple inlays) by Mike Dolan (http://www.dolanguitars.com), and a set of Lindy Fralin Jazz 5s installed by Rolland Brunet.
2009 Lake Placid blue Squier P, with pick-up cover, flatwounds, and an over-wrapped '51-P Lindy Fralin. Close your eyes, and you are there. This...bass...KILLS. Like I always say: Don't buy the decal, buy the bass stuck to the back of it!
- Previously owned gear:
- If it was cheap, deadly heavy, and sounded like crap, I played through it in the 80s.
Some notable cool toys that I sold for one reason or another:
Phil Jones stack- 6Pack and Pirhanna9
1975 Acoustic B-150
1978 Fender Bullet Bass, Black with a w/b/w guard. Yeah. I know.
- G.A.S. List:
- Another Streamliner 900, and 2 more old-school Avatar cube 112s (feel free to PM!)
- Gigs, Bands, & Ensembles:
- Current: Los Blancos, The Siders, and solo as Steven T. Winston. Previous bands that gigged hard: Doctor Pocket, The Miss E. Band, Studebaker John and The Hawks, Austin Jimmy Murphy, Zoo Trip (w/ Taye Diggs), Frog Hill Band
- Influences and Teachers:
- In no particular order:
George Porter Jr.
- Favorite Genres:
- If it has soul, I like it.
- Other Hobbies & Interests:
- hockey hockey hockey, Syracuse Orange Basketball, and the M-E-T-S Mets Mets Mets!
- Available for instruction:
- Syracuse, central NY region
- Areas of Instruction::
- Bass Guitar
- Teaching Credentials:
- Thousands of shows playing full-time with Los Blancos for 15 years, 25+ years practical experience in all styles. Strengths in roots music, funk (not that slappity-clickity bunk, but the real deal, heavy one, FUNK!), and blues. I've been teaching on and off for over 15 years, and I spent 3 years on the faculty of the National Guitar Workshop. Specialized in rhythm section training, music biz, and session playing.
bigfatbass is not a member of any public groups