- Dayton, Ohio, USA
- Current Setup:
- DBs =1945 Kay double bass, Velvet Anima E-A with Lenzner gut D-G strings, cheap French bow (black hair), Carlsson rosin, Underwood pickup.
40's-50's (?) German plywood double bass, Spirocore Weich strings, KK BassMax pickup
BGs (I designed and built)= 5-string chambered fretless, Ashbory-style silicone-stringed fretless bass, short-scale 4-string fretless.
Other instruments= cello, violin, vioa, sitar, oud, Irish bouzouki, didgeridoos, spike fiddles, Turkish cumbus, Epi Les Paul guitar, Squier Strat, Scottish smallpipes, mandolin, violin, cello, assorted brass, wind and percussion instruments.
Main rig = Markbass LMIII, fEARful 12/6, fEARful 12-sub.
Other stuff = Fdeck HPF-III, Fishman Platinum Pro Pre, Yamaha and Carvin poweramps, Carvin 1x10 combo, Yamaha PA system, home-built pedalboard, lots of pedals, Boss looper, etc.....
- Previously owned gear:
- I've owned a huge variety of gear since I started playing in 1975. BGs include Rickenbacker, Fenders, Music Man Sabre, Yamaha, Carvin, Danelectro....
I've built many instruments: 4 and 5-string basses, electric upright, electric guitars, spike fiddles, etc.
- G.A.S. List:
- Carved double bass (gamba style)
Viola da gamba
Good French and German bows
A bigger vehicle to carry stuff in!
- Gigs, Bands, & Ensembles:
- I've been playing in a roots reggae band since 1985. Occasionally play in another band doing reggae, funk, rock, blues, etc. Do some acoustic duo gigs on DB, and play acoustic guitar and sing at various events.
- Influences and Teachers:
- Electric bass: Aston Barrett, Robbie Shakespeare, Jaco Pastorius, Tony Levin, Chris Squire, Geddy Lee, Flabba Holt, Stanley Clarke, Sting, James Jamerson, Eberhard Weber, Jah Wobble, Tina Weymouth, tons of others...
Acoustic bass: Charlie Haden, Dave Holland, Ron Carter, Gary Karr, Edgar Meyer, NHOP, Chris Wood, Charles Mingus, Ray Brown, Paul Chambers, many others.....
- Favorite Genres:
- Roots reggae, funk, rock, jazz, classical Indian and Arabic.....
- Other Hobbies & Interests:
- Instrument building, singing, reading history, fishing
- Teaching Credentials:
- I've been playing bass since 1975. I taught electric bass for many years, and taught middle and high school social studies for 11 years. Have worked for 12 years at a university.
Monkey is not a member of any public groups