- Date of Birth:
- April 20th, 1988
- Vancouver BC, Canada
- Current Setup:
- A turn of the century double bass from an unknown maker, most likely in present day Czech republic. It's my soulmate.
Finale Carbon Fiber Bow.
A 1976 Fender Mustang Bass. Also, awesome but not my soulmate.
GK-MB150 amp, the trusty standby of double bassists.
Euphonic Audio VL2-10; Best Cab for electric I've ever heard. Played through with Crown Microtech Poweramp and ART Pro-channel Pre-amp... A really nerdy EB rig...
- G.A.S. List:
- A good Jazz Bass, A good sight singing text, A score of the Quartet for the End of time and Webern String Quartets
- Influences and Teachers:
- My Teachers have been a huge inspiration to my playing. They are Darren Radtke, Rob Marr, Jodi Proznick Laurence Mollerup, and Adam Thomas.
I am inspired by musicians such as Charlie Parker, Miles Davis, Ron Carter, Charles Mingus, Bernie Arai, Eric Dolphy, Olivier Messiaen, Stan Taylor, Tony Williams, Aaron Copland, Igor Stravinsky, John Cage, Wayne Shorter, John Paton, John Pattitucci, Ethan Iverson, Ben Monder, Thom Wherret, Reid Anderson, Bill McHenry, John Zorn, Bruno Hubert, Brad Turner Jamie Stewart, Paul Motian, J.P. Carter Scott Lafaro, Tim Berne, Andre Lechance, Charlie Haden, Joanna Newsom, Jimi Hendrix, Ray Brown, Thom Yorke, J.S Bach, and Don Thompson.
Some artists in other mediums that inspire me are Ezra Pound, Walt Whitman, Marc Rothko, Monet, and Picasso.
- Favorite Genres:
- Jazz, Folk, Indie Rock, Isorhythmic Motets
- Other Hobbies & Interests:
- biking, painting, relaxing
- Available for instruction:
- British Columbia
- Areas of Instruction::
- Double Bass (Jazz), Bass Guitar
- Teaching Credentials:
- I have completed 3 years of education at Capilano University Jazz program. I play regularily in the Vancouver jazz scene and have done quite a few rock gigs as well.
Shoehorn is not a member of any public groups