prototyping new singlecut design

Discussion in 'Luthier's Corner' started by SDB Guitars, Dec 21, 2007.

1. Like it... :)

73 vote(s)
    59.3%
  2. Love it! :hyper:

21 vote(s)
    17.1%
  3. Hate it! :rollno:

18 vote(s)
    14.6%
  4. Need one! :bassist:

11 vote(s)
    8.9%
  1. Its a beautiful bass and I love the design. If I were designing it though, I would add a little more to the lower horn somehow as I think it looks like an afterthought or extra limb that didnt get cut from the tree or something.

I also think that the lower part of the bottom of the body and the upper horn are to wide. "Width" being if you laid it on the ground and stood behind the bridge, looking up at the headstock. Bring those in a little bit and I think it would be perfect. The upper horn might go to far down the neck, but you already addressed that issue.

I love the thumb rest idea, and the F hole. The wood choice couldnt be better either - it looks beautiful!

2. SDB Guitars

SDB Guitars Commercial User

Jul 2, 2007
    Coeur d'Alene, ID
    Shawn Ball - Owner, SDB Guitars
    I've always subscribed to the "small lower horn" idea... that's just what I like. But, I understand that it's not for everybody, and that kind of input is exactly why I made this thread to begin with! Thanks :)

I think that what you are perceiving as "width" actually translates to "waist may be too narrow"... the body is significantly narrower than, say, a Fender bass... it's just under 12.5" at the widest point, whereas Fender Jazz basses run around 13" or so. it could also be the angle of the picture.

This prototype body has pretty much exactly the same dimensions/proportions as the basses pictured below, just connected the "upper horn" to the neck and filled in, and reversed the curve on the lower horn:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Thanks, again! I'm pretty darned happy with the wood selection. I'm kinda "bloodwood-happy" right now, as I got a good buy on some, and I just love the way it looks, works, feels, and even smells. I got some well quartered stuff for neck laminations, and flatsawn stuff for body laminations. I think it sets off pretty much any lighter wood so nicely...

3. jordan_frerichs

jordan_frerichs

Jan 20, 2008
    Nebraska
    hey man, what is the wood below the top of the bass? love that bindings look

4. SDB Guitars

Jul 2, 2007
    Coeur d'Alene, ID
    That's bloodwood, the same as the fingerboard and the neck laminations. It's an intermediate lamination, if you will, between the top and the primary body wood... I really live that stuff, and I guess I'd better, as I have a *ton* of it hanging around. :D

The top was said to be "mubanga" or some such... Larry Davis couldn't positively identify it from the picture, but I believe he said that sometimes "mubanga" is a trade name for afrormosia... so, I googled mubanga, and came up with "PERICOPSIS ANGOLENSIS (AFRORMOSIA)"... so I'm guessing that the top wood is a spalted version of that.

The main body is Spanish cedar (cedrela - an evergreen which is somehow in the mahogany family, which originates in Central and South America), and although it's very soft (marks easily with your fingernail), I just love working with it, the smell is great, it works easily, doesn't have nasty splinters, and it weighs almost nothing at all. :)

5. How did I miss this thread until 3 pages in?!?!?

I really like every aspect of it....except that I would have moved the upper "horn" a wee bit closer to the body. To me, there's just something awkward about an upper bout that is just as wide (from the centerline) as a lower bout, though having it be an actual horn like your wenge 4-banger does give the illusion that it IS narrower. But you don't have that optical thing going on a singlecut.

6. SDB Guitars

Jul 2, 2007
    Coeur d'Alene, ID
    Um... it fell several pages down because I didn't update it in over a month. lol

First off, thanks for the compliment for (pretty much) liking it all (exceptions noted). I was just tired of making the one model all the time, and wanted to try something different, but didn't want the apple to fall *too* far from the tree, as it were. I wanted it to be recognizable as being related. I'm not entirely sure I was successful, but at least I'll have a nifty little short-scale (32") for myself, and someday, maybe I'll sell it to finance another prototype. :)

In actuality, it *is* slightly narrower than the lower bout, but maybe not enough. Additionally, moving the "horn" down closer to the butt (shortening the body) and thickening up the waist would probably go a long way toward resolving these issues. It is, of course, too late to do it to *this* one, but then, since I'll likely be the only one to play this one, it's okay. :bassist:

7. Don't you DARE make that waist any thicker, I'm a big fan of the incut waist.

Wilser's just jealous that his own waist isn't quite as svelte...

8. SDB Guitars

Jul 2, 2007
    Coeur d'Alene, ID
    LOL

9. SDB Guitars

Jul 2, 2007
    Coeur d'Alene, ID
    Wow... haven't gotten around to *this* one in a while... too many irons in the fire?

String this one up last night (MMmmmm DR Hi-Beams...), and gave it a good going-through. Sounds great, other than a ground loop I can't seem to locate. I star grounded it and everything. HMMMmm.

Anyhoo, on to the delicious goodness... I still want your guys thoughts and opinions on the shape, now that you can see it all.

Here's a "full frontal" shot (lousy camera, I know, and bad lighting, to boot, but I'm on my way to work...). The bridge needs to be thinned just a hair, as the action is a touch high. Intonates well, though. The nut is just there to keep the strings in line, they're basically sitting on the trailing edge of the fingerboard, for consistancy of sound.

[​IMG]

And here's a close-up shot of the body. The controls are stacked vol/passive tone, stacked bass/trable, and 4-way rotary switch for either pickup or both together in either series or parallel. The knobs are from Roger at THG Knobs. The pickups are Nordstrand NJ4SV's (LOVE those pickups...).

[​IMG]

So, yeah. Just have some minor touch-up sanding, the final coats of oil and wax, and the cover plate closure (I'm thinking neo magnets).

When it's all said and done, I'll post some sound clips so you can hear what it sounds like...

10. scottyd

scottyd Commercial User

Nov 17, 2006
    Waco Tx
    Builder/owner Redeemer Basses
    I like the clef holes, I had a similar idea but using only one for a semi hollow. The upper bout is a bit large for my taste but it goes with your scroll horn shaped body very well. Looks very nice Shawn!

11. ctmullins

ctmullins Dominated Gold Supporting Member

Apr 18, 2008
    MS Gulf Coast
    I'm highly opinionated and extremely self-assured
    Hi - saw this poll sitting there, and read all the way through it. I have to say that I would have rather voted something like "Don't care for the category, but your execution is very nice", or something similar.

To me, singlecut basses just look lopsided. I mean, the original Les Paul guitar is a classic, but with the added length that a bass requires, things just start to look too stretched out to me. For something that length, doublecuts look more symmetrical, and therefore aesthetically pleasing. TO ME.

That said, I think your particular design could benefit from taking a bit of the bulk out of the upper "horn" - I think others have said as much. But I still don't see the need for filling the void of the upper cutaway. And I'm very much a "form follows function" kind of person, so I do appreciate your slim headstock, and the curve of the lower horn is perfect for facilitating playing while seated.

As far as your workmanship, oh man - nice job! I'm a schmutz who just recently learned how to spell "router", so I certainly envy your skill set and congratulate you on the execution of your design. What's your bridge made of, by the way?

12. Barkless Dog

Barkless Dog Barkless to a point

Jan 19, 2007
    I dislike it. I agree with everything said above post^

It comes off ungainly looking with the horn almost as big as the body and going so far up the neck.

It just looks very wrong to my eyes, almost (gulp) Wishbass- like.

13. Sean,

Sometimes you just gotta shake off the haters! :bassist:

I love it! dont change a thing...

Except change that double clef to a single (bit to busy with the spalted look IMO)

14. asad137

asad137

Jan 18, 2007
    Minneapolis
    Physicist
    Haters? He asked for opinions from both those who like it and dislike it.

I personally am not a big fan. It's ill-proportioned to my eyes.

Asad

15. Yeah, see, I was being (not very)funny ...

I told him not to change a thing, then told him to change the clef...

:meh: thats funny right? guys? :atoz: ... crickets... Guys?

16. RLK

RLK

Apr 15, 2006
    Clinton Township, MI
    If I had to vote on the build itself, I love it.
    Nice work/details and material choices!
    BUT--
    I agree with some others about the body shape.
    -Upper section too big
    -waist too small

I whipped up a quick photo-doodle to illustrate how I imagine the bass (with people's suggestions applied).

SDB-1.jpg

17. Agree with much of what has already been said. I prefer the 'shape 2' above.

I like the bass clef 'f' holes (maybe that should be clefholes - can I put a TM on that?), but having just one bigger and bolder one might look less fussy

The holes for the through body stringing look a bit out of line with the body curve and not spaced quite right either - especially the e string which looks as is it could pull the bridge sideways (it probably wont, but it looks as if it could).

Don't want to be overly critical though - This is my favourite TB forum and I'm in awe of what you guys do

18. SDB Guitars

Jul 2, 2007
    Coeur d'Alene, ID
    Thanks, all, for the input. This was a prototype, and it's purpose was exactly this - to see what will work, and what won't. You guys are all awesome, especially those who came out and said they didn't care for the design, for one reason or another. It's constructive criticism, and I don't disparage it one bit.

For those who are curious, here's my second prototype of this style compared to the original... the waist is about 1/2" thicker on the left side (the bass side? ;)), the upper bout is about 1/2" shorter and 3/4" narrower, and it joins the neck differently.

[​IMG]

19. Worshiper

Worshiper Guest

Aug 13, 2004
    New York
    Great job... I REALLY like that 3rd design

20. The only thing wrong with it is it's not mine!!!