No acoustic bass guitar forum?

Discussion in 'Suggestion Box' started by TenorClef, Feb 7, 2008.

1. TenorClef

TenorClef Guest

Feb 6, 2004
    UK North Yorkshire
    Just wondered the above? As their seem to be plenty of us playing ABG's and given the amazing variety out their is'nt it time their was a specific forum area for die hard acoustic players :hyper:

2. Buskman

Buskman

Apr 13, 2007
    Jersey Shore, USA
    +1...

Or at least a 'ABG Club'...

Hmmm - I guess that would make us members #1 & #2, huh? :cool:

3. sublime0bass

sublime0bass Guest

Aug 2, 2007
    Boone, NC

4. Slowgypsy

Slowgypsy 4 Fretless Strings

Dec 12, 2006
    NY & MA

5. TenorClef

TenorClef Guest

Feb 6, 2004
    UK North Yorkshire
    :) It figures that the forum moderaters could look into this and just make another section. Don't know why we get side lined. I know lots of Bass guitarists absoloutely hate ABG's but they do have a unique sound and when amp'd correctly can sound amazing.

Have you ever noticed how easy they are just to pick up and play? With my old electric which i sold i had to plug in my cable to bass, attach it to the amp, plug the amp in, switch it on, fiddle with the volume/tone pots and add my strap before i could get started.

With my ABG i'm good to play as soon as i pick it up.

6. Darkstrike

Darkstrike Return Of The King!

Sep 14, 2007
    It would be cool, a Acoustic Forum in the Bass Guitar side of the site would be best, as then different threads could be brought up.

Am I no #5(6,edit) ??:confused:

7. TenorClef

TenorClef Guest

Feb 6, 2004
    UK North Yorkshire
    Well ok, rather than just winge about this i've contacted the administrator director and asked if he will look into it and see if its possible to start a new forum for acoustic bass guitar. This would be really useful for those of us who want info specifically dealing with issues relating to ABG such as string choice, dealing with feedback, amp selection, good ABG's and where to source them. This could be a really great forum.

8. Slax

Slax

Nov 5, 2007
    Long Island, NY
    I could see this being a good idea.

I personally am not a huge fan of the ABG. I have my DB which I like the tone and feel of better than the ABG's I played. So when I run into experiences where I have to play an acoustic set, I just drag my almost 6ft monster along w/ me. :)

(Again, I'm not bashing, this is just my personal opinion)

9. theshadow2001

theshadow2001 Guest

Jun 17, 2004
    Ireland
    Because ABG are just electric basses that are slightly louder when played unplugged

10. Darkstrike

Sep 14, 2007
    I really don't consider DBs anyway similar to ABGs, they are fantastic, and I would love to try one one day, but IMO they are a completly different beast.

11. Slax

Slax

Nov 5, 2007
    Long Island, NY
    Oh, I completely agree with you 100%. I just have found that my DB seems to fit the bill in times where I've had to play acoustically. I'm sure they'll be times down the road when it won't, and then I'll play an ABG, but for what I'm doing now it works.

12. Valerus

Valerus

Aug 4, 2005
    I've been thinking of getting one. :bag:

13. I think the reason you don't see an ABG forum here is that everything there is to know about them can fit into 1 maybe 2 threads:
    They're great to pick up & play.
    They're rarely loud enough unplugged to compete w/anything, including but not limited to, gitardists' mouth breathing.
    Acousically louder ones will likely have feedback issues; quieter ones not so much.
    Beyond this, it's largely 'I like this' vs 'Well, I like that'.
    Sticky this, & we're done.
    BTW, I have one, & like it.
    Bring the flames.
    :cool:

14. Darkstrike

Sep 14, 2007
    Do it!! They are cool as!:)

Of course you expect to heat that in the Acoustic Bass thread!:smug:

15. theshadow2001

theshadow2001 Guest

Jun 17, 2004
    Ireland
    A similar style of thinking could also be applied to the basses forum.

16. Darkstrike

Sep 14, 2007
    +1

Of any forum in existance, unless you want to talk about it, then you will find plenty of topics!

17. I played my Morgan Monroe with 3 gui****s a couple of weeks ago and I was heard just fine. The MM is a big beastly thing though.

I agree that most ABG's are too low to be heard without an amp, therefore need to be amplified, and since you are dragging an amp anyways, why not just use an electric bass?

18. Darkstrike

Sep 14, 2007
    I was playing mine at a party over a guitarist and singers, and supposedly I was heard very well, espicially considiring when I stopped playing everyone noticed.

19. mr sprocket

mr sprocket

Jul 31, 2006
    Dallas
    Ooooo... Another club? I'm in. I love my Washburn AB20. Just put some tapewounds on it.

Can I be number #10?

20. msquared

msquared Supporting Member

Sep 19, 2004
    Lawrence, KS
    Oooh, and can we have an ERB forum? And a Precision forum? And a Jazz forum? How about a Superjazz forum? Semihollow bass forum? Basses with detuners?