- Last Activity:
- Jun 20, 2015
- Aug 8, 2010
- Likes Received:
- Trophy Points:
Share This Page
Male, from Langhorne, PA, USA
- funkyjudge was last seen:
- Jun 20, 2015
- Home Page:
- Langhorne, PA, USA
- Current Setup:
I currently have a 2007 Mike Lull M4V 4-string with Bartolini Jazz pickups, and an 18v 3-band Bartolini NTMB preamp, and it is "da bomb"!
My first monsterous-sounding 5-string is a Warrior Isabella single-cut with a quilt maple top on a Spanish Cedar body, a purpleheart fretboard on a maple/purpleheart neck and lots of other custom "bells and whistles". My wonderful wife (also a bassist) ordered this bass for my 64th birthday, and it took more than 5 months to build. She also bought me a second Warrior 5-string - a custom Dan Michael model that
I am now down to just one Fender 4-string bass .... a '64 Custom Shop "Relic" P-Bass, which gets used for a lot of the classic Motown, Stax, and classic rock stuff that I play. This bass actually has a neck profile that I have NEVER seen or played in a Fender P-Bass (and I have owned and played P-Basses since 1965)!
Amplification is provided by a Thunderfunk TFB750-A, upgraded by Dave Funk to TFB800-B spec's, paired with a Bergantino 212, and I also have a super-portable Markbass Little Mark Tube 800/Traveler 210 + Traveler 115 to "mix-and-match" for practices and smaller venues. We also have a Roland Cube for practice, but it isn't being used and may soon go.
Tech 21 SansAmp outboard preamp for use with the passive basses, as needed.
Many other pedals and effects and a Boss pedalboard has been added to my setup, as well. However, it's generally unnecessary to employ the effects with these great basses.
Auralex Great GRAMMA sound isolation platforms cut out the "boominess" from my cabinet(s).
- Favorite Genres:
- anything that grooves
- Gigs and Ensembles:
- Since 2011, I have been holding down the bottom end in The Funkin' Soulnuts, an 11-piece soul/funk/R&B/Motown cover band, plus occasional R&B, classic rock, blues and funk gigs whenever I can get them. I also audition and play in as many different types of musical groups as possible, so as to keep things fresh and keep my musical vocabulary as varied as it can be. Right now, I am the first-call fill-in bassist for at least three different Philadelphia-area bands, playing everything from classic blues to current pop and rock hits.
- Previously Owned Gear:
- WAAAAY too many to list here! Most recent basses sold have included a pair of Stambaugh 5-strings, Fender Custom Shop Custom Classic V 5-string (cherry burst/pao fero) with Nordstrand pickups and Audere preamp, a Nash JB-63; Callowhill 5-string J(unk) bass, Fender USA Hot Rod P-Bass with P/J pickup configuration; "LullDowsky" 4-string; a few Valenti 5-strings (one J-bass style with Nordstrand pickups, and one modern 24-fret 5-string with Sadowsky pickups and preamp; Mike Lull M5V in ash/maple (great bass); many Fenders, including an American Standard P-Bass, an olympic white FSR "Hot Rod" Jazz Bass & an Arizona Bass Co. passive 5-string. Other basses I have owned range from a Danelectro to a few dozen more Fenders (Ps and Js) to a couple of Sadowsky NYCs (4 and 5-strings, Vintage and Modern models), a few amazing custom-built basses, including one of the first PBC 5-strings ever built. Amp rigs have included an original 1969-70 SVT head and two custom-built 4x12 cabs, several Ampeg B-15 models -- to a few Epifani, Genz-Benz, SWR, and Mesa Boogie amps with many different cabs (Mesa, SWR, Acme, Lo-B, Markbass, etc.), and most-recently a Genz-Benz Streamliner 900 + Epifani UL-310 and UL212 cabinets. Also had a vintage MusicMan HD150 hybrid bass amp that I really miss!
- G.A.S. List:
- Hopefully, the bass/amp GAS has subsided, but it never really stops!!!
- Influences and Teachers:
- Gerald Veasley, as a friend and mentor; Rob Smith (best bass teacher that there is!); Anthony Wellington, Glenn Marrazzo ..... also Jaco, James Jamerson, Charles Mingus, Chuck Rainey, Francis Rocco Prestia, Nate Watts, "Duck" Dunn, Bob Babbitt, Tony Levin, and a host of others.
- Hobbies and Interests:
- golf and golf equipment fitting/building and repair; motorcycles; and reading
SignatureDoug (a/k/a "funkyjudge")