Welcome to TalkBass 2014! If you're new here, we just went through a major site upgrade. Please post all concerns and bugs to the Forum Usage Issues forum. We will be monitoring that forum. We are currently evaluating the "One Post Per Classified Ad" policy. Thank you for all of your feedback.
The TalkBass iphone/android app is NOT WORKING currently. We're working on it. Tapatalk IS working, so if you need to use an app, use Tapatalk. Try using your browser though - TalkBass is now 100% responsive to your phone/tablet screen size ;)
Please read the TalkBass 2014 FAQ for lots of great info on the new software.
- Last Activity:
- Apr 16, 2014 at 10:43 AM
- Aug 8, 2010
- Likes Received:
- Trophy Points:
Share This Page
from Langhorne, PA, USA
- funkyjudge was last seen:
- Apr 16, 2014 at 10:43 AM
- Home page:
- Langhorne, PA, USA
- Current Setup:
The famous "LullDowsky" 4-string has recently returned back home to me .... and it is my main gigging 4-string bass!!!
In the short-scale stable is my Birdsong "Double Fusion" in walnut with a rosewood board and special body contours and chambering for extra-lightweight comfort, with crushed turquoise accents and a special turquoise/MOP 12th fret marker .... Birdsong S/N 12F-033.
My newest 5-string is a Warrior Isabella single-cut with a quilt maple top on a Spanish Cedar body, a purpleheart fretboard on a maple/purpleheart neck and lots of other custom "bells and whistles". My wonderful wife (also a bassist) ordered this bass for my 64th birthday, and it tok more than 5 months to build. This Is now my ONLY 5er!
A few months ago, I acquired a superb Stambaugh single-cut neck-through 6-string with a short 33" 26-fret scale on a really unique maple/purpleheart/maple 5-piece neck. The body is spalted walnut on mahogany, and the pickups are custom Aeros with macassar ebony covers. I seem to play this bass more than any other that I own!
I also have two Fender 4-string basses .... the first is a '62 AVRI P-Bass, and the second a fretless "Jaco" Jazz Bass.
Amplification is provided by a Genz Benz Stramliner 900, plus a TC Electronics BG250 for band rehearsals. We also have a Roland Cube for practice, but it isn't being used and may soon go.
I run the Streamliner 900 through an Epifani T212 UL cabinet with B&C drivers.
Tech 21 SansAmp outboard preamp for use with the passive basses, as needed.
Many other pedals and effects and a Boss pedalboard has been added to my setup, as well. However, it's generally unnecessary to employ the effects with these great basses.
Auralex Great GRAMMA sound isolation platforms cut out the "boominess" from my cabinet(s) and the TC amp.
- Favorite Genres:
- anything that grooves
- Gigs and Ensembles:
- Currently holding down the bottom end in The Funkin' Soulnuts, an 11-piece soul/funk/R&B/Motown cover band, plus occasional R&B, classic rock, blues and funk gigs whenever I can get them.
- Previously Owned Gear:
- WAAAAY too many to list here! Most recent basses sold have included a Fender Custom Shop Custom Classic V 5-string (cherry burst/pao fero) with Nordstrand pickups and Audere preamp, a Nash JB-63; Callowhill 5-string J(unk) bass, Fender USA Hot Rod P-Bass with P/J pickup configuration; "LullDowsky" 4-string (it's BAAAAACK here where it belongs); a few Valenti 5-strings (one J-bass style with Nordstrand pickups, and one modern 24-fret 5-string with Sadowsky pickups and preamp; Mike Lull M5V in ash/maple (great bass); many Fenders, including an American Standard P-Bass, an olympic white FSR "Hot Rod" Jazz Bass & an Arizona Bass Co. passive 5-string. Other basses I have owned range from a Danelectro to a few dozen more Fenders (Ps and Js) to a couple of Sadowsky NYCs (4 and 5-strings, Vintage and Modern models), a few amazing custom-built basses, including one of the first PBC 5-strings ever built. Amp rigs have included an original 1969-70 SVT head and two custom-built 4x12 cabs, several Ampeg B-15 models -- to a few SWRs and Mesa Boogie amps with many different cabs (Mesa, SWR, Acme, Lo-B, Markbass, etc.), and most-recently a Genz-Benz Shuttle 9.0 + Epifani UL-310 cabinet. Also had a vintage MusicMan HD150 hybrid bass amp that I really miss!
- G.A.S. List:
- Hopefully, the bass/amp GAS has subsided, but it never really stops!!!
- Influences and Teachers:
- Gerald Veasley, as a friend and mentor; Anthony Wellington, Glenn Marrazzo ..... also Jaco, James Jamerson, Charles Mingus, Chuck Rainey, Francis Rocco Prestia, Nate Watts, "Duck" Dunn, Bob Babbitt, Tony Levin, and a host of others.
- Hobbies and Interests:
- golf and golf equipment fitting/building and repair; motorcycles; and reading
SignatureDoug (a/k/a "funkyjudge")