'02 MIM Standard Jazz finally in the house..

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Jazzbassguy, Feb 6, 2014.

1. Jazzbassguy

Jazzbassguy

Well, my used '02 Fender MIM Jazz finally got off the GC 30-day "Police Hold" today, and I was able to take her home..

She plays and sounds great. Got it for $299.99 plus tax.

I have a question, though, if I may:

I noticed (see pic of bridge) that the spring on the low E saddle seems "bent"... Is this okay, and no big deal - or should I take it back in and have them check it out/fix it?.. The bass does play great and the "bent" spring doesn't seem to affect playability at all. ("If it ain't broke"... ??) :meh:

Also, the bass had no knobs when I bought it (somebody had stolen them, it seems), so GC put some replacement knobs on it before I picked it up to take it home.

But it appears they put three of the same size knobs on (they must have found these knobs in a drawer), and I thought the lower tone knob of a Jazz Bass was smaller than the two larger volume knobs... However, this really is no big deal to me - and I can certainly live with all the knobs being the same size - but I was just wonderin'...

Anyway, thanks to all who gave advice on this bass in my earlier thread a few weeks ago.. And I am really digging this bass - it plays and sounds fantastic! As I mentioned in my earlier posts, the current setup and action is just to my liking - I love the slim Jazz neck, love the lighter-than-average weight on this one, and it just feels and plays (and sounds) great!

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]
  2. Bassisgood4U

Bassisgood4U Banned

Great bass there.
  3. Jazzbassguy

Jazzbassguy

Thanks, yeah, I really like it ~
  4. MattyH

MattyH

Damn. I always thought those older MIM sunbursts looked kind of cheap, but that thing is clean as a whistle, and pretty as hell. Great bass man!
  5. Register to disable this ad
  6. Jazzbassguy

Jazzbassguy

Thanks. Yep - this one has a real nice 3-tone-sunburst finish - on both front and back.
  7. Maxdusty

Maxdusty Supporting Member

8. tjh

tjh Supporting Member

Those are not the correct knobs for this bass .. the knobs in the link are designed for split-shaft, splined pots .. the OP is aware of the style he needs from a previous post ...

Jazzguy, that spring is 'bent' simply because it is compressed more than the rest ... just make sure the long screw going through the back of the bridge into that saddle is not bent (intonation screw) ... you are good to go ... nice bass, you did well ;)
  9. wild4oldcars

wild4oldcars

the spring is not a big deal at all, many on my basses flex to a side when compressed
  10. Jazzbassguy

Jazzbassguy

Yeah, it's amazing - Why would someone steal three knobs off a Jazz Bass?.. I guess people will steal anything tho nowadays.. GC told me it happens all the time - that's one reason they take the switch tip knobs off guitars hanging on the wall..

But yes, I'm sure this GC just found some extra Jazz Bass knobs in a drawer somewhere, and put them on this one - not really paying attention (or even knowing) that the tone knob should be smaller.. :rolleyes:

Like I said, it's not a deal killer for me, but I probably will replace them with the more 'correct' ones before long...
  11. Jazzbassguy

Jazzbassguy

Great to know! I figured it was no big deal, but just wanted to ask you experts to be sure! Thanks - -
  12. Jazzbassguy

Jazzbassguy

I just looked at the bridge again (from the front), and the long screw under the spring on the low E does stick out and point downward a little more than the other three, but I'm assuming that is normal - because that particular first saddle (the low E) is shorter than the other three - Am I correct on that?
  13. peledog

peledog Supporting Member

Looks great! Take it back to the shop or to a luthier and fix up the bridge. Replacement knobs are easy to find on eBay or at Warmoth. The tone knob, in general, is smaller than the two volumes.
  14. Jazzbassguy

Jazzbassguy

Thanks -

(Does the bridge actually look like it needs repairing to you, though?..)

[​IMG]

[​IMG]
  15. Jazzbassguy

Jazzbassguy

Just took these three closeups of the long screw on the high E saddle.

I can't tell if it's bent or not - I don't think it is, but any opinions out there?

So, thanks, guys! Hate to keep bothering you about this question, but don't know if I should take it back in, or leave it as is..

I think I'm probably good to go, but what do you think of the top long screw? Look okay?..

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]
  16. Grissle

Grissle

Everything's perfectly normal on your bridge. And FWIW the '01 to I believe '06's have some of the smallest necks Fender ever made. I've bought some just for the necks!
  17. Jazzbassguy

Jazzbassguy

Good to know, Grissle!! Thanks for that info on the bridge! I am definitely relieved now..

And also thanks for the info on the smaller necks on these models.

I did not know that the '01 to '06's had the smallest necks Fender has made on these. Yes, mine has a really thin neck, and I LOVE it! That's one of the things that sold me on this one.
  18. Natejitsu

Natejitsu

Very nice find on the MIM Fender. My first bass was a MIM Fender P. Biggest issues with the MIM's are the pickups and wood, but if you really want to make that thing purr buy some new pickups for $60-$120 and make your bass at least sound like a $600 bass.
  19. Jazzbassguy

Jazzbassguy

Thanks. Yeah, I was kind of keeping my eye out for an older used MIM Jazz, and when I spotted this one and played it, I knew I had to grab it!

Re: swapping out the pups - this may be something to think about in the future, but I'm going to play it 'as is' for a while, as I do like the sound of this thing - and I want to get to know it first before I start making any mods to it.
  20. Jazzbassguy

Jazzbassguy

I forgot to mention that I had an '02 MIM fretless Jazz a few years ago, but stupidly sold it - but it did have that nice slim neck as well, and also had the "Tele"-style knobs...

I still kick myself for getting rid of this one!!... :crying:

[​IMG]