'03 fretless MIM Jazz- good deal?

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Jazzbassguy, Feb 17, 2014.

1. Jazzbassguy

Jazzbassguy

Spotted this '03 MIM fretless Jazz at GC today for $359.99.

It played and sounded really good. It's in great shape for an '03. Still had the plastic on the pickguard!! Looks like it hasn't been played much at all.. Action was great.

As some of you know, I just recently scored an '02 MIM Standard Jazz at a different GC here in town last week, so I didn't pull the trigger on this one today, but I was sorely tempted..

I did have an '02 MIM fretless Jazz a few years ago, and let it get away, so I'm "kind of" in the market for one again, but I just don't know about buying another bass so soon..

Anyway, I was just wondering if this one is a good deal - or is it about the going rate for a mint '03 fretless MIM Jazz? I didn't talk to the sales guy about it today, so I don't know how much (if any) they might come down..

Excuse the horrible cell pic on the first photo...

[​IMG]

[​IMG]
  2. spaz21387

spaz21387

seems a bit high I got a used mim j for 250 with a hard case and tuner strap and some book with a bunch of songs in it. I gave the book to the neighbor kid who's into bass. I would check craigslist you could find the same bass for less.
  3. Jazzbassguy

Jazzbassguy

Sounds like you got a nice deal on that MIM J for $250..

Yeah, I think I paid around $300 for my '02 MIM fretless J 3-4 years ago, but just wondered if this one was perhaps worth more since it's in pretty mint condition.

They also may come down some on it, I don't know..
  4. vulturedog

vulturedog

I bought my MIM fret less jazz about 3 years ago for $250 on CL it dumped the flat wound strings and put regular wound rotosound strings on it and also had the neck "lacquered" it sounds beutiful! Even the guy that did the neck complimented it on how good it sounded and said he would like to buys one for himself!
  5. Jazzbassguy

Jazzbassguy

Sounds like around $250 must be the going rate then on these...
  6. spaz21387

spaz21387

Sometimes you can get really lucky and some one will want less. I saw an mim p go for 150 once. I regret passing on that one but I didnt have any money at the time.
  7. Bassisgood4U

Bassisgood4U

If it feels right in your hands, heck yeah that's a good deal. They're usually a hundred bucks more than that, and that one's in good shape.
  8. Maxdusty

Maxdusty Supporting Member

It really depends where you live.. in Michigan it's all across the board in terms of pricing on CL- I bought a MIM Jazz V for $160 but that was a once in lifetime great deal given the condition (not even used). Average price of MIM Jazz is about $350 here, so for a fretless in good condition, that's a pretty good price. It all comes down to supply and demand, I imagine bigger cities have more MIM Fender Jazz basses in circulation so they're a little bit cheaper. If that was on sale here where I am, it will be snatched up in an instant.
  9. Jazzbassguy

Jazzbassguy

I have to admit, this one did feel great.

I am still not very adept on fretless, though. But it would be nice to have one, and start figuring it out..
  10. Jazzbassguy

Jazzbassguy

I may mosey on down there again tomorrow, play it again, and see if they will deal any on it..

I just bought an '02 MIM Standard Jazz last week, however, so I'll need to convince the Mrs. that I need yet another one...
  11. tjh

tjh Supporting Member

The older you go on a MIM STANDARD, the more it can be hit and miss ... the term "MIM" is used to cover different eras of the MIM STANDARD usually .. just for instance, a 2012 MIM Standard should in no way be lumped into a price group with a '96 MIM Standard (not that you wont find a good '96, but it may be hit and miss) ... so prices are relative to the bass ... the fact that your '03 has had the upgrade to the conventional size pups, and you know it is alder, and it doesnt look like somebody has been tugging on the truss rod for 15 years, and most importantly YOU HAVE HAD IT IN HAND AND LIKE IT .. should be worth $100 more than a pre '02 that somebody bought over the internet without being able to try/examine ... also, color comes into play for resale ... black will generaly be in less demand than 3TSB, and right now, both are in less demand than a nat ash finish ...

Bottom line, far too generalized to say I got a 'MIM' for $100 less, so that is what they are worth, without more information ... if you like it, and it meets your criteria, $350 is not out of line ... especially with a 30 day no questions asked warranty ... JMHO
  12. Grissle

Grissle Supporting Member

Ya $350 at a retail store with 30 day return is fair.
  13. DiabolusInMusic

DiabolusInMusic Functionless Art is Merely Tolerated Vandalism Supporting Member

Those guys bought theirs off CL. If you were paying $360 off CL I would say talk the guy down, but this price is from a store, so it is pretty reasonable especially considering it's condition.
  14. Jazzbassguy

Jazzbassguy

Thanks guys - very good comments here.

I didn't get a chance to drop back by there today and check it out more, but I hope to tomorrow.

I want to play it more and check it out a little better - I didn't have much time to do that when I was in there yesterday..
  15. elBandito

elBandito

I duno about the jazz bass, but the cort hanging next to it, looks pretty good. Looks like ash body and some b/b neck.
  16. Wally Malone

Wally Malone

Disclosures:
    AFM International Representative
    Last year I paid that amount for a 1998 that is in primo shape was just setup with new flats. Even though it's my least expensive bass I enjoy playing it as much, if not more than my other basses cost much more.

Wally
  17. TN WOODMAN

TN WOODMAN

Looks like a good price to me considering the condition and op says she plays well . Tag says case included, so with even a gig bag and return polici, I 'd go for it .

I have 2 late model MIM Fretless jazz I bought in excellent condition already modded with good strings and set ups and happily paid right @ $500 each . These make great mod platforms to personalize.
  18. Jazzbassguy

Jazzbassguy

Yes, this one is in primo shape as well. Still has the plastic on the pickguard. It doesn't appear the previous owner(s) played it very much at all.

I played it for about 7-8 minutes - not very long, and it played well. I liked the action.

I'm going back tomorrow and play it some more, and might pull the trigger then if all goes well.
  19. Jazzbassguy

Jazzbassguy

Thanks for the heads up on the included case, TN WOODMAN.. Somehow I missed that fact on the tag there! Another reason to go back and check it out. So for around $350 - $360 w/ hsc included, it sounds like a pretty good deal then to me. They may even come down some on it, who knows?

Now, if I can just convince the wife that I need to buy two Jazz Basses in one week.... :meh:
  20. Dr. Cheese

Dr. Cheese Supporting Member

$350 is about right. I snagged one today for $300 without a case.