.065 - .145 on a 5 String - Standard Tuning

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Angel Switch, Mar 28, 2014.

1. Angel Switch

Angel Switch

If I understand the physics of neck tension correctly, I know this would damage the neck, but I figure it'd be worth asking you guys to be sure: using a .145 for standard tuning on a 5 string is a bad idea, right?

2. Mystic Michael

Mystic Michael Hip No Ties Supporting Member

.145 is heavy for a "B" string, but within the realm of normal usage. .65 for a "G" string is way too heavy; considered medium gauge for a "D" string.

I just don't see the point... :rollno:

MM

3. Gougedeye

Gougedeye Supporting Member

+1

Typically gauges are .45-.125 or so. But if you are using a drop tuning you might be okay.

4. awilkie84

awilkie84

I guess it all depends on what tension those strings will be. If you get low tension strings, those should be fine...but I don't even think Circle K makes a set that would look like that!

.145 is HUGE for a B, as is the .065 for a G...under standard tension ratings. I'd suggest a .050-.135 set, if you want added tension without going overboard.

.125 is good for a 35" scale, but most 34" scale seem to be .130-.135

5. Register to disable this ad
  6. Gougedeye

Gougedeye Supporting Member

notice I said or so. :D I use .130-.135 on all my basses regardless of scale. Lately, I've been using SIT 50-130 and they seem to have a lot more tension on my 34" scale basses. There is a long thread here on TB about string gauge and scale length some place. Gotta search it up.

7. Mystic Michael

Mystic Michael Hip No Ties Supporting Member

There are probably several of 'em . At least... :meh:

MM

8. Ric5

Ric5 Supporting Member

065 - .145 on a 5 String - Standard Tuning

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I am switching all of my 5 string basses over to D'Addario Super Light gauge 40 - 60 - 75 - 95 - 125. It really brings out the mids on my 5 string basses and it helps eliminate the Boomy B syndrome, and the basses are easier to play and the light strings are easy on the neck. I have Ricks, Stingrays, Fenderbirds, p-basses, jazz basses and SG basses. They all sound better with lighter strings.

9. mmbongo

mmbongo Chicken Pot Pie. My three favorite things!! Supporting Member

A .145 really is not huge for a B string. To put it in perspective, a .145 B string is the equivalent of a .105 E string. A .125 B string is like a .090 E string. Tiny and floppy :)

A .065 G string would probably break way before you got it up to a G. I would consider a .050 massively huge G string and would be similar to a .120 E string. A 65-145 set would not be good for your neck.

10. Thomas Kievit

Thomas Kievit Thou shall not F*** up the groove Supporting Member

Around .045 would be better, I agree :)

@ OP : Well I don't think it can hurt that much. I used a .140 low B for a while on a 5 stringer and nothing bad happened, so I don't think a .145 low B will harm the neck of the bass.

Just give it a go :)

11. Marcus Willett

Marcus Willett Supporting Member

Disclosures:
    Endorsing Artist: Bag End - Dean Markley - Thunderfunk
    Pretty much. The standard formula (according to a long conversation I had with the late Bill Lawrence) should be for each successive increase (e.g. going from G to D) to multiply the diameter by 1.33.

So really, a set of 45s should be about

45/60/80/105/140 (some numbers rounded off)