0PINIONS!! fretless jazz pickups

Discussion in 'Pickups & Electronics [BG]' started by PhatRon, Jan 9, 2013.

1. PhatRon

PhatRon supporting member Supporting Member

seeking opinions, offerings, pearls of wisdom, throws of passion, unplucked gems, picks of the week, deals of the day on pickup choices for my fretless jazz. Alder slab, Warmouth Wenge/Ebony neck. Heavy. currently strung with GHS pressure wounds.
    Oh, and passive is the only way I roll off.

looking for (I think) :

from the neck,
    smooth, creamy, yet deep, somewhat scooped ok. stand alone ability without harsh top when wide open. some thump but not primary goal.

from the bridge,
    blend in those missing mids when things get a bit louder. Get some Mwah out of this alder/ebony which is not too "woody" sounding. Probably wouldn't use the bridge pup for anything else.

I do not know what's in the bass now. Kind of generic sounding. neck sounds decent, is very deep. bridge is super thin. really have to dig hard to get any mwah at all. Kind of anemic really.

could I possibly be looking for two distinctly different models?
    This is not my main bass, so not needing anything super expensive yet I don't have to compromise for economy sake.

On my fretted Jazz I've settled on the Lindy Fralins (the ones wound for Mike Lull's custom guitars) with fender flats. Not what I'm after on the fretless though (at least not from the neck).

thanks for your help and cheers to all.

GO SEAHAWKS