1-10 + 2-10 cabinets

Discussion in 'Amps [BG]' started by 5StringFool, Feb 17, 2014.

1. 5StringFool

5StringFool Supporting Member

OK... question: would using an 8 ohm 110 in combination with an 8 ohm 210 cause any problems?

I just purchased an Ampeg PF 350 and am already in possession of an SWR 110 with horn. I intend on this being a rig for quiet coffee shop type shows and was thinking about picking up a 210 cabinet for additional volume when needed. If I were to vertically stack the two for use if I need more than the 210 will produce would I be causing myself any problems sonically or wold the tone balance out OK?

I'm thinking it would go OK but am just not sure.
  2. Downunderwonder

Downunderwonder

Only can tell if it sounds good is by actual trial.

The 1x10 will get twice the power that the 2x10 gets per driver, making it a poor plan overall. You could take only the 2x10, turn it up and be very near as loud before it breaks up.

You might be thinking 210 + 110 equals 310, nearly as loud as 410, you'd be dead wrong.
  3. 5StringFool

Couldn't the 210 be rewired so that if the 110 were daisy chained off of the 210 that the power would be evenly distributed?

I already have a Fender 410Pro but as you guessed I'm trying to figure a way to get just about as loud and not have to drag the 410 around. It won't fit in my car. Lol.
  4. Downunderwonder

Downunderwonder

Sell the 410 and get matched 2x10.
  5. Register to disable this ad
  6. Downunderwonder

Downunderwonder

As to rewiring, depends. Assuming the 1x10 is 8ohm, your amp would need near 2ohm capability to deal with 8ohm plus 4ohm cabs. And still the potential for sonic mush.
  7. bumperbass

bumperbass

^This^
    Don't waste your time with mismatched cabs. Do it right and you'll be better off in the long run.
  8. Passinwind

Passinwind Charlie Escher Supporting Member

Media:
    Albums:
    Nope. The 2 X 10 has either 4 ohm or 16 ohm drivers, so your other options for it are 2 or 32 ohms.
  9. Downunderwonder

Downunderwonder

Yeah. Rewire was the wrong word.
  10. 5StringFool

Thanks for the input. Wasn't thinking about the ohm mismatch.

Looks like I'll be starting the search for matching 210's if I can find a buyer for the 410 I already have.