1/2 flat wounds plus RBX375?

Discussion in 'Strings [BG]' started by allroundbassnut, Dec 28, 2012.

1. allroundbassnut

allroundbassnut

recently got the rbx 375, and its everything i dreamed it would be. but i'm thinking of making the B and E string flat wounds, to makeafat tone. but have an edge when grooving, anyone think its a silly idea? also, any cmments would be appreciated
  2. Mikhail1

Mikhail1

Tom "T Bone" Wolk did it on a Fender Precision but I believe he did a reverse of what you want to do. He used roundwounds on the E and A and flats on the D and G. If I'm wrong, I'm sure someone will correct me. To me, that was always the problems with flats, a dead E and an almost dead A. The only person who will know if it will work for you is you.
  3. PBnJBassist

PBnJBassist

Nothing wrong with that as long as it sounds good. Co-Worker of mine has a similar setup. Sounds good to me (as well as for him) and no complaints so far. He uses flats for the E & A and nickel rounds for D & G. When he does pop and slap, the flats still slap well and the rounds pop as they should. For stuff like blues and rock, he tries to remain on the E & A and it keeps that nice low-mid end that flats give with the extra zing when he does fills on the D & G. Pretty cool and I don't really see a harm in giving it a whirl.
  4. tylerwylie

tylerwylie Supporting Member

That kind of setup would drive me nuts. Go for it! :-D
  5. Register to disable this ad
  6. SLaPiNFuNK

SLaPiNFuNK Gold Supporting Member

Disclosures:
    Owner: BassStringsOnline.com
    Wasn't there a big name bass player who uses a flatwound B string on his 6 strings?

At least I heard that...