1. Welcome to TalkBass, the Premier Bass Player Community and Information Source. We've been uniting the Low End Since 1998!

We're glad you've found us. Register a 100% Free Account to post and unlock tons of features.

1/4 from pedal board vs DI from pedal board

Discussion in 'Live Sound [BG]' started by Tony Flow MMMM, Jan 3, 2013.

1. Tony Flow MMMM

Tony Flow MMMM Supporting Member

So I been gigging quite a bit and amtired of hauling my oversized rig for a mostly acoustic gig. I been considering bringing my pedalboard and running from it to our PA. (One or two 15" powered speakers on stands) my only question is in this basic setup what would I gain from using a DI?

2. walterw

walterw Supportive Fender Gold Supporting Member

for bass?

you'd be asking a lot of a single pole-mounted box that was already doing everything else, unless it was a really low-volume gig. a small bass rig would be really useful, or even just a small cab for your regular bass rig.

as for 1/4" vs XLR, the XLR out will be louder and will go longer distances without loss, but whichever one gets your signal to a close-by PA will do the job.

3. Tony Flow MMMM

Tony Flow MMMM Supporting Member

You think it's a bad idea? :( alright....

4. themacinator

themacinator Always looking for the perfect gig Supporting Member

Disclosures:
    Endorsing Artist: Babicz FCH Hardware
    Unless you are going to have subs and a crossover in your PA then running to the board in a small setting is nearly useless in my opinion. Seems a nice, efficient 210 or 115 cab would be fine.

5. Register to disable this ad
  6. SteveC

SteveC

Without a sub, just 15's on sticks, might be pushing it.

I run IEM's and use a tuner and DI but we have stereo subs as part of a 3 way system.

When I play smaller gigs where there isn't all that PA, I have a small, 300 watt 2x10 that works great.