1 in 7 pedals...

Discussion in 'Effects [BG]' started by Flymo Wang, Aug 15, 2013.

1. Flymo Wang

Flymo Wang

so I had a (very) slow afternoon at work today, and wrote a list (as far as I could remember) of all the pedals I have bought over the years... it comes in to around 63, of which I have 9 left.

As much as you ever can be, I'm really happy with these 9 - but this means to get here I've basically had a success rate buying / flipping pedals of 1 in 7, which is pretty poor!

How about you??

2. MatticusMania

MatticusMania LANA! HE REMEMBERS ME!

Im using 9 now, and Ive got a 10th that Im looking to trade or sell.

On top of that, Ive had an RC-2 plus footswitch, a Digitech BP200, a Tweakfuzz, and a second Digitech Digital Delay. There may have been more, but this is all I can recall at the moment.

3. HeavyJazz77

HeavyJazz77 Supporting Member

4. icecycle66

icecycle66

I'm at 1 for 9 on wah pedals. That's pretty bad.

Other than that I'm closer to 1 for 3. I don't think that's too bad.
    Since I've been making my own pedals I'm pretty near 1 for 1. But that might have to do with the satisfaction of actually making my pedals.

5. Register to disable this ad
  6. G.Bisson

G.Bisson Supporting Member

I've gone through 88 pedals, still have 25. So I'm about 1 in 3.5

7. JBNeedsBeer

JBNeedsBeer

6 out of 25 (including rackmounts)

8. Adamixoye

Adamixoye A PT Pro is cool for worship, right? Supporting Member

For the combo of bass and guitar, as best as I can remember it:

Gone:
    Multi-FX:
    Digitech BP-8
    Boss GT-6B
    Line 6 Pod XT Live
    Digitech GNX3
    Stompboxes
    Boss ODB-3
    Line 6 Crunchtone
    Boss AW-3

Still Here:
    Multi-FX:
    Boss GT-10B
    Zoom G9.2tt
    Stompboxes:
    Morpheus Droptune
    Markbass Supersynth
    MXR M87 Bass Compressor
    Behringer BSY 600
    Digitech Bass Synth Wah
    Empress Multidrive
    Darkglass B7K
    Line 6 M5
    Eventide Pitchfactor
    Controllers:
    Ernie Ball VP Jr. 25k Active
    Moog EP-2
    True bypass looper (brand unknown)
    Digitech FSX3 (x2)

So if I'm counting correctly, that's 2/6 on multi-FX (I don't count the M5 here), 9/12 on stompboxes (including quasi-multis like the M5 and Pitchfactor), and 5/5 on controllers (although I wouldn't mind getting rid of the Moog). That's a total of 16/23.

9. gregmon79

gregmon79 Supporting Member

Media:
    Albums:
    Im probably at about a 1 and 4 ratio. Give or take.

10. WillInDenver

WillInDenver An ounce of perception, a pound of obscure. Supporting Member

Probably around 1:4 also. I've been using a multi-effect for the past couple years and seem to have settled on it.

Honestly, I'm not an anti-pedal guy at all, but I think that overwhelmingly the stuff I do with pedals is for my own entertainment and not because the music needs them. I've heard a few guys whose sound is all about their effects - those guys are totally legit but I am not one of them.

11. Sav'nBass

Sav'nBass Supporting Member

I never was big on pedals .. but since I started playing again in 01 I have had a Zoom B2.1u ( I have always been like.. wth??!! B2.1u? What is that about.. ) which I sold because I wasn't really crazy about the sounds and really didn't know what I wanted out of a multi anyway.. A Gt-10B .. which was actually pretty nice.. but way too big for my tastes and too ostentatious, I sold that .. I got a compressor after that and it was nice but I wanted a little more than that and did not want to get a pedal board so now I have a Zoom B3 which is perfect. Not too big, not too small and by now I know what I want in effects, which isn't much and can be covered by the 3 slots on the B3. If ever wanted more I would just get a MS-60B and call it a day but the B3 is all that I need right now. That's it... so I guess for me including the few pedals I had back in the day when I had no clue what to even use them for I would be 1:8

Oh and I also had an RC-2 and a Digitech Jamman .. sold them both.

12. Adamixoye

I'm pretty sure the naming scheme for the Zoom pedals is meaningful. The Zoom B2.1u is for bass (B), has 2 footswitches, and 1 expression pedal. I have a Zoom G9.2tt for guitar with 9 footswitches, 2 expression pedals, and two tubes.

13. gregmon79

gregmon79 Supporting Member

Media:
    Albums:
    Zoom ms (muti-stomp) 60 (?) B (bass)

14. Adamixoye

I think on the stompbox series the numbers might not be as meaningful. But the other letters are. Obviously, B is for bass. The CDR on the MS-70 is for "Chorus Delay Reverb." BT on the MS-100 for "Bluetooth." As for the 50, 60, 70, 100...these are more just "the higher-numbered one is more expensive."

15. RickenBoogie

RickenBoogie

Seriously disturbing topic, and very accurate. Overall, though I've completely lost count of the total pedals, my best conservative estimate is pretty close to the op's, 1 in 7 or 8. Chorus pedals alone are in the 1 in 10 range. Overdrives, 1 in 9, and at the other end, 1 for 3 with compressors. What are we doing?

16. JehuJava

JehuJava Bass Frequency Technician Supporting Member

17. apdamron

apdamron

Hmmm never really sold a pedal, but over the years I've lost/misplaced/had stolen:
    Boss bass OD
    Boss Bass Chorus
    Boss Bass Synth
    Ibanez Bass Distortion
    Old school Fulltone ( :( )

think thats it...other than that, pretty much everything else is on my board.

18. deathsdj

deathsdj

Back when I was gigging I never used pedals.

Now that I'm playing again i want some just for me to play with when I practice and to try to find certain sounds I have in my head.

I am quite aware of the possibility of impulse buying some pedals I won't like for long as I have known a lot of guitar players in my day... :D

So far all I have bought is a Boss TU3 tuner. I figure I'm pretty safe with that as I am always needing a tuner, both when playing and in my work shop to set up basses. If I don't like it in my pedal board I will just use it in my shop.

My next purchase is going to be something to split my signal between two combo amps I use for a practice rig. I just want my bass signal split cleanly to both amps and I want to use them both at the same time. Not sure what I'm going to get to do this as there appears to be a lot of options but I'm thinking the Boss LS2 can do this and it matches my tuner. A SansAmp seems like it would also work...

After I get to that point I'm going to find some distortion. I'm leaning heavily towards either a Big Muff or a Rat Tail but IE has a good one also so I'm still thinking on that.

Also an MXR Octave pedal is in my future, but far enough down the road I have not researched other Octave pedals much so something else might catch my eye.

The only other thing I think I will need is a REDDI to get a great sound through our PA and I'm calling it good.

Really going to try not to buy something I won't like or won't use.

Cheers!

MJW

19. HeebHammer70

HeebHammer70

I went through 2 phasers and a chorus before settling on the EHX Stereo Electric Mistress. Other than that I've never gotten rid of a pedal. Although I modded my DS1 cuz it didn't hold enough lows.

20. andvari7

andvari7

Wow. Out of 54 pedals, including expressions and tuners, I've flipped 43. That's almost an 80% turnover rate, and I'm afraid that I'm nowhere near finished (pick up a script Phase 90 again, sell my Morley, etc.).