1. Welcome to TalkBass 2014! If you're new here, we just went through a major site upgrade. Please post all concerns and bugs to the Forum Usage Issues forum. We will be monitoring that forum. Thank you for all of your feedback.

The TalkBass iphone/android app is NOT WORKING currently. We're working on it. Tapatalk IS working, so if you need to use an app, use Tapatalk. Try using your browser though - TalkBass is now 100% responsive to your phone/tablet screen size ;)

Please read the TalkBass 2014 FAQ for lots of great info on the new software.

1 to 2k to spend on a fiver - suggestions please

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Misterwogan, Jan 25, 2013.

1. Misterwogan

Misterwogan

That's 1 to 2k pounds, so let's say 1,500 to 2,500 USD.

Cosmetics are irrelevant - the must have feature is that is must deliver the classic P-Bass sound.

Could I please have your top three recommendations?
  2. Bassist4Eris

Bassist4Eris Non Serviam Supporting Member

Sorry if this sounds cheeky, but why not just get a 5-string Fender Precision? I mean, what better way to get the classic P sound?
  3. David281189

David281189

yeah 5 string american standard p bass :hyper:
  4. Misterwogan

Misterwogan

Good, if obvious point to make. Therefore it appears that your one and only recommendation is a P5. Great, I'll add that to my list.

However, there may be other TB'ers who feel that some other bass does the P5 thing better than the Fender - perhaps?
  5. ugly_bassplayer

ugly_bassplayer Supporting Member

6. David281189

David281189

if you're lucky you may find a used p/j sadowsky for 2500$
  7. George Himmel

George Himmel

Disclosures:
    Manager, Bass San Diego
    1.) Mike Lull (M)P5
    2.) Nordstrand 5-string P
    3.) Sadowsky Metro P/J 5* (probably used to get it into price range; also features Nordy's 5-string P pickup, which is a favorite of mine).

*Totally biased choice, as it's what I play nearly 100% of the time ;)
  8. Lowactnsatsfctn

Lowactnsatsfctn

A Used Sterling HH5, A used Fender MIA P, an Eden WTDI, A MarkBass Superbooster DI and an Iced tea.:D

All for well under 2,500
  9. Kmonk

Kmonk

Disclosures:
    Endorsing Artist: Fender and Spector, Ampeg, Curt Mangan Strings
    A used Sadowsky is a good choice.

I have an Alembic Epic 5 string that gives a wide variety of tone options and I can get very close to a P sound.
  10. DuShauh

DuShauh Supporting Member

Yamaha BB1025X (1000 USD) or if you feel compelled to go to the high end of your budget, Yamaha BB2025X. Either way, you cannot go wrong. My BB1025X replaced a "stellar" Fender American Standard P5 (2011 model). The Yamaha will give you the classic P + so much more.
  11. Misterwogan

Misterwogan

Interesting. One year ago exactly, I was at a Thin Lizzy concert here in London and saw Marco Mendoza playing his 2024 or 2025 and was much impressed. But Yamaha, really?
  12. ugly_bassplayer

ugly_bassplayer Supporting Member

Marco Mendoza could play a broom with rubber bands and still sound freakin amazing. Plus the man is a crazy good singer.
  13. Misterwogan

Misterwogan

Quite right too - and we would all be very impressed :D

Actually, I can just image Jailbreak being played with rubber bands...
  14. DuShauh

DuShauh Supporting Member

Really !! Yamaha :bassist:

If you can find one, try it: You'll like it. In my opinion, the 1024 & 1025 are the best deal out there. However, I can't deny that the 2024 & 2025 give you a bit more of " all things good." But, for double the price, it should.
  15. Jim Carr

Jim Carr Dr. Jim Gold Supporting Member

To OP: I recommend a Lakland 55-01 or 55-02, and second the used valenti/sadowsky metro 5er ideas. A used NYC sadowsky 5er will probably be over $3k. The laklands have the taut B string feel I want.
  16. ejmy

ejmy

17. Misterwogan

Misterwogan

You know, my vision of Yamaha is slightly coloured by my experiences with their guitars. I had a 1993 Yamaha SG (which I sold last year at a huge profit) and despite putting Gibson pickups in it - it didn't work. My Gibson SG just farted all over it. But - it was the best made guitar I've ever owned.
  18. Misterwogan

Misterwogan

Bom, bom ba bo bom. Ba bom, bom, ba, ba, bom, bom, ba, bo, bom.

Something like that I reckon.
  19. Solarmist

Solarmist Supporting Member

So you finally decided to go with a fiver - I really think you'll like it, and you will start to see new patterns and possibilities, and now you won't have to mess up any of your nice 4-stringers. Yes; I read your other two threads. Good Luck.
  20. Misterwogan

Misterwogan

Thanks, I'm glad someone noticed!

Actually, I sold that P-Bass today. And then, I bought a Yamaha BB415 online. So I've done exactly what I said I wouldn't do (no change there then).

If the 415 isn't right or feels too cheap - it goes back. But I am loving the method of play with the low B. It really transformed some of my standard tracks.

It all boils down to how comfortable I can make it with the extra width on the board. Plus - it's gotta do the P-thing.