1. Welcome to TalkBass 2014! If you're new here, we just went through a major site upgrade. Please post all concerns and bugs to the Forum Usage Issues forum. We will be monitoring that forum. Thank you for all of your feedback.

The TalkBass iphone/android app is NOT WORKING currently. We're working on it. Tapatalk IS working, so if you need to use an app, use Tapatalk. Try using your browser though - TalkBass is now 100% responsive to your phone/tablet screen size ;)

Please read the TalkBass 2014 FAQ for lots of great info on the new software.

10 bucks, how can you lose (Midwest only maybe?)

Discussion in 'Basses [DB]' started by periodical, Nov 11, 2012.

1. periodical

periodical

Man I do not know enough about basses to make anything of this but I wish I was local so I could check it out. Any ideas from the brain trust here? Other than it being in godawful shape and missing a bridge, and very likely not what the seller says it is.
  2. KUNGfuSHERIFF

KUNGfuSHERIFF

Definitely not what the seller thinks it is. It looks Czech/Bohemian, maybe circa 1900, and about $4k in repairs.
  3. Michael Glynn

Michael Glynn Supporting Member

I would guess it's an early 20th century German/Bohemian/Tyrolean shop bass. Kind of hard to tell from the pictures, but looks like it might be a "blockless wonder." Lots of dubious repair work--the huge crack in the soundpost area would make me especially nervous. The price is hard to beat, though. If repairs would be too expensive, you could probably make your money back selling the "vintage" gut strings here on TB.
  4. swervy jervy

swervy jervy Supporting Member

Are the shoes included?
  5. Anonymatt

Anonymatt

Well shoot, it's about 6' tall and made of cheery wood, so you'd probably have lots of happy times playing it.
  6. Greg Clinkingbeard

Greg Clinkingbeard

Disclosures:
    Setup and repair/KRUTZ Strings
    A dead ringer for my bass. German/Czech factory bass from the early 20th century which might make a very nice jazz axe with a very extensive restoration. Probably full of all kinds of glue, yardstick being an indication of bad repairs. The glue smeared over all the seams looks tells me to stay away from it. This looks like a labor of love rather than any reasonable financial gamble to me. Sad.
  7. Greg Clinkingbeard

Greg Clinkingbeard

Disclosures:
    The ribs nailed or screwed into the corner blocks is bad. Not much to save.
  8. PB+J

PB+J

Wow. Rode hard and put away wet.

I'd take a chance on it if I lived nearby
  9. Anonymatt

Anonymatt

Yeah, it's a little sad. If my mom got to it, she'd weatherproof it and turn it into a birdhouse.
  10. boylebass

boylebass

Greg, he's in Wakeeney, KS, which makes him closer to you than me. (Oklahoma City) You are nominated to take one for the team by heading out I70 for reconnaissance.

I just talked to him, and he's convinced that the bass was made in the 18th C. I told him that the chances of that were pretty much zero.

The bass sold at auction once, but the seller and buyer were unable to work out shipping. He said it sold for $150 last time, and he obviously he no qualms about unloading it for that price again.

I'm in agreement with you guys, many $K in restoration. If I were a little closer I would drive out for a once over, but I'm not driving 6 hours for a birdhouse/canoe/yard decoration.
  11. KUNGfuSHERIFF

KUNGfuSHERIFF

Did he say whether he'd end the auction early for the right (looooow) price?

I know somebody who regularly travels cross country in a van, and I'm between projects right now.
  12. boylebass

boylebass

He didn't say (I didn't ask). He didn't sound like a jerk or a know-it-all, and he is fully aware that the object isn't really a bass. He knows it was a bass and could once again be a bass and he just wants to make a little $$$.

The auction is at $50 and he accepted $150 before. He's probably an ebay pro, so it would follow that he'll at least let the auction run its course. Still, you may get a BSO for cheap. If I had the time and repair knowledge, I would go up and get it. I've got a FT job and a crapload of gigs right now. Let us know how it turns out. His phone# is in the ad.
  13. KUNGfuSHERIFF

KUNGfuSHERIFF

I work FT too and I'm in the process of buying a house...guess that's not enough of a beating for me. Damn this German soul. Many thanks for the information.
  14. Greg Clinkingbeard

Greg Clinkingbeard

Disclosures:
    Not too excited about driving 600 miles for a project like that. If my drummer friend in Denver had a bigger car I'd ask him to grab it on his way through. Honestly, it's pretty far gone so maybe it's time for a decent burial.
  15. Violen

Violen Instructor in the Vance/Rabbath Method Supporting Member

Disclosures:
    Endorsing Artist: Conklin Guitars (Basses)
    Stop bidding on it. I can get it brought to me for free, and i live about 40 minutes south of Greg.
  16. KUNGfuSHERIFF

KUNGfuSHERIFF

17. mjac28

mjac28 50th Anniversary Ed Sullivan February 9, 1964 Gold Supporting Member

4,000 in repairs? man would it be worth it?
  18. KUNGfuSHERIFF

KUNGfuSHERIFF

More than $4k. I didn't realize it probably doesn't have a neck block until someone with better eyes pointed it out. Maybe closer to $10k?
  19. Greg Clinkingbeard

Greg Clinkingbeard

Disclosures:
    That doesn't look like a 'blockless wonder' to me and I suspect it has a block. However, I see a total restoration. Anyone taking this on shouldn't be surprised if it needs all new blocks, possibly neck and fingerboard, bass bar, etc. This bass may need it ALL. I'd give somebody $100 for it IF they brought it to me but I probably wouldn't drive across town for it.
  20. CnB77

CnB77

That's a whole lot. I take it this bass wouldn't be worth that if it were in working order?