1. Welcome to TalkBass, the Premier Bass Player Community and Information Source. We've been uniting the Low End Since 1998!

We're glad you've found us. Register a 100% Free Account to post and unlock tons of features.

10 Essential Bass Albums

Discussion in 'Recordings [BG]' started by gjbassist, Jan 21, 2014.

1. gjbassist

gjbassist Supporting Member

2. LAG

LAG Supporting Member

Disclosures:
    Endorsing Fan: Green bay Packers
    One of them would be Standing in the Shadows of Motown - Deluxe edition. Jamerson.

3. hdracer

hdracer Supporting Member

That certainly would not be my list but to each their own.....

4. Rocker949

Rocker949

+1

5. Register to disable this ad
  6. JimK

JimK

This is Bryan Beller's list, right?

I also peeked at Will Lee's & Wooten's Top-10 Essential Bass Albums-
    Interesting-
    Both had The Trio by Oscar Peterson (Ray Brown).
    Lee & Wooten cite Larry Graham (Graham Central Station/Sly & The Family Stone).
    Lee & Wooten both list albums with Wooten on bass (yeah, Vistor named one of his own). :)

Beller, Lee, & Wooten all cite a Jaco album.
    Wooten & Beller list Steely Dan.

Personal note-
    Lee lists Meaty, Big & Bouncy by The Who. I just picked that up yesterday...for nostalgia.

Score-
    I own 9/10 from Beller's list
    I own 8/10 from Lee & Wooten's Lists.

7. lexington125

lexington125

some alternate LPs:

any of the MCA / Chess 'box sets' particularly, the Chuck box, the Wolf box, the Muddy box and the Willie box. All represent the best of blues bass and the very beginnings of rock and roll bass by some of the best players of the day

Otis live at Monterey - Duck doin what Duck does

Abbey Road - Paul's work on Something in just remarkable

whatever the current version of the last Hendrix album is titled. Used to be "cry of love" now its something like "first rays of the new rising sun" billy cox at his best, and somewhat more controlled than the Band of Gypsies jams

the first pretenders record; one of the best all around first albums by any band; and the bass playing rocks

'we have come for your children' - the 2nd dead boys record: highlights are Son of Sam, aint it Fun and Big City

8. cnltb

cnltb

Will lee and V.Wooten picked too.
    One of the albums picked by Victor Wooten is his own first solo album...sure doesn't seem to lack self-esteem.

9. Milk

Milk

The only record i've ever owned in this is Blood Sugar Sex Magik because as a 13 years old i was misguided and for some reason bought it... (i can honestly say i hate RHCP, though Flea has very little to do with it, in fact i would say Anthony Kiedis has most to do with it)

These records probably have good basslines (i wouldn't know for most of them honestly) but unfortunately they are played within the context of music i don't care for.

10. Fuzzy Dustmite

Fuzzy Dustmite

THIS +1000